U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2008, 12:30 AM

2,739 posts, read 5,423,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by princesasabia View Post
I have been reading articles on websites and I have gotten mixed reviews on this topic. I would like to know others thoughts/views on this topic. Thanks in advance.

No, you won't go to hell for marrying a Muslim. But....I'd say you will probably have way more than your fair share of problems during your life.
The Bible says "can two walk together, except they be agreed?" Agreed on what? Well, I'd say it means agreed on all the basics of their beliefs. A Christian and a Muslim might be married, but they're going to have a rough time walking together...IMO...

Bud
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2008, 09:18 AM

2,905 posts, read 4,490,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spindle View Post
but the Muslim husband must ensure their children are brought up as Muslims
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
She has stated that he is a non practicing Muslim, so that will just be another thing they have to discuss before taking that final step.
It doesn't matter if he is non-practicing. He will probably insist the children be Muslim, even if the children are also "non practicing". There is no wiggle room for this in Islam, the children follow the religion of the father (again which is why muslim women cannot marry non-muslims). As a matter of fact, it might not even have occurred to this man that he should discuss this matter, it may be so obvious to him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BudinAk View Post
No, you won't go to hell for marrying a Muslim. But....I'd say you will probably have way more than your fair share of problems during your life.
The Bible says "can two walk together, except they be agreed?" Agreed on what? Well, I'd say it means agreed on all the basics of their beliefs. A Christian and a Muslim might be married, but they're going to have a rough time walking together...IMO...

Bud
I agree that a devout follower of Islam and a devout Christian might have a difficult time, especially over the children. I am just not sure how that would work for two people w/strong beliefs.

But if the OP is not that religious, and the man is not that religious, if they can get over the issue of the children, it is not a huge deal.

I would say that if the man is from another country, the cultural differences may in fact outweigh the religious differences. (esp. if he is not practicing)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality