Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2007, 01:42 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,591,550 times

Advertisements

MEDIA ADVISORY, October 30 /Christian Newswire/ -- The Illinois House of Representatives recently passed a law requiring public schools to observe a brief period of time "for silent prayer or for silent reflection on the anticipated activities of the day." Andy Norman of Mauck & Baker law firm in Chicago is a Christian Legal Society member who concentrates his practice in issues of religious freedom. As other states look into passing similar measures, Norman has put together a list of things that every student, parent and teacher needs to know about his or her rights and how the "moment of silence" law might affect them.

Illinois 'Moment of Silence' - Putting Public School Prayer Back in Place - Christian Newswire
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2007, 08:11 AM

3,589 posts, read 4,148,175 times
I hope they get the stuffing sued out of them. They deserve it.

Old 10-31-2007, 08:19 AM

3,684 posts, read 11,815,454 times
Sounds good to me...but I think in reality you are going to have a lot of kids just silently making faces at eachother.

Old 10-31-2007, 08:28 AM

3,589 posts, read 4,148,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishmom View Post
Sounds good to me...but I think in reality you are going to have a lot of kids just silently making faces at eachother.
I hope so. These "moment of silence" laws are garbage.

Old 10-31-2007, 11:22 AM

443 posts, read 1,541,461 times
Yeah, there are 16 hours each day in which you can pray outside school, please just do it then.

Old 10-31-2007, 12:04 PM

1,932 posts, read 4,792,505 times
It sounds good to me, also. When I went to school (not all that long ago) we used to have a "moment of silence" as well. That disappeared about the 8th or 9th grade. IMO, there's nothing wrong with a "moment of silence" or "reflection". There's no direct religious implication. As was said, some kids will just make faces.

And, given the current situation in a lot of schools around this country, a moment of prayer before beginning the daily battle isn't a bad idea.

Old 10-31-2007, 12:06 PM

3,695 posts, read 11,371,813 times
There is a direct religious implication, because the law specifically indicates that the purpose of the act is to promote prayer in public schools. That's unconstitutional.

Old 10-31-2007, 12:11 PM

54,494 posts, read 33,864,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nativeDallasite View Post
I hope so. These "moment of silence" laws are garbage.
For you the moment of silence might be "garbage", but for the majority, it's needed.

The way I see it, if students don't want to participate, they can walk out of the classroom during those silent moments, they don't have to participate.

I'm glad to hear this news.

Old 10-31-2007, 12:25 PM

1,932 posts, read 4,792,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean98125 View Post
There is a direct religious implication, because the law specifically indicates that the purpose of the act is to promote prayer in public schools. That's unconstitutional.
Did you read the article? The purpose was very clear: "for silent prayer or for silent reflection on the anticipated activities of the day."

The article further outlined exactly why it's not unconstitutional.

A moment of silence is exactly that - a moment of silence. It is each individual's decision on what to do, if anything, during that silence. No one is being told they must pray or anything of the sort. It's not unconstitutional.

Old 10-31-2007, 12:46 PM

3,695 posts, read 11,371,813 times
The article does try to apply the Lemon Test to the Illinois law, but it doesn't refer to case law to show that it's interpretation is correct.

In Wallace v. Jaffree (1985), the Supreme Court determined in a 6-3 decision (Rehnquist writing the majority decision) that an Alabama law authorizing a one minute period of silence for "meditation or silent prayer" was unconstitutional. In the decision, Rehnquist indicated that if a law has a primary purpose of advancing religion it is unconstitutional. The title of the law in Illinois is the "Silent Reflection and Student Prayer Act" - which clearly indicates that the purpose of the law is to advance religion. The decision was based in large part on the records of the Alabama legislature which made it very clear that they were passing the law to promote religion.

The Act took an existing Illinois law that permitted a moment of silence and changed it to require a moment of silence and prayer.

Some US district courts have upheld moments of silence, including a decision in 2000 that upheld Virginia's statute because the legislature carefully considered the ramifications of this religious accomodation.

I think this will probably be looked at by the Supreme Court again. I still think that students can pray whenever they want, but things take on a different shading when their matters of conscience are mandated by the state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality