U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 12-17-2008, 05:00 PM

7,917 posts, read 11,718,742 times

Advertisements

Man is the only animal that gets married. Some animals mate for life while others behave like bar room tramps but they don't seem to feel bad about it, it's just their nature. I do think that adultery is wrong because it breaks the commitment that a married couple have made to each other and it's hurtful and deceitful. Millions of people have felt the painful realization that the person they love, their spouse, has cheated on them. However, I honestly don't see anything wrong with fornication and even that word seems old fashioned and out dated. I also think that if a couple is really getting serious about a relationship it would be wise to be sure that they're sexually compatible and there's only one way to find out. Of course I realize that being very sexually active with multiple partners might not be very wise in this time when we still don't see a cure in sight for AIDS and there are other health risks and diseases as well. What I'm really getting at is that the stigma of premarital sex has pretty much disappeared and I honestly think that's a good thing. There was another thread on the forum asking about people getting married so they feel it's ok to have sex. That's one of the reasons I'm asking this question because in my opinion a failed marriage is a much more serious life changing event than a couple who have been sexually active, but not married, and they've discovered that they're really not right for each other. I've always felt that all of the major religions have some really serious hangups about sex in general and that influence in our society has for the most part been a bad one. What is your opinion?
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2008, 05:07 PM

1,239 posts, read 1,611,771 times
You are mistaken to compare us to the mere likes of an animal. We are above the animal kingdom in that we have the power to know that we know. While animals may know things, and they do, human beings know how and why we know. It is this awareness and evolution, through God's will, that takes us above the animal kingdom.

This isn't to say we lost our animal instincts. We didn't. Some days when I'm driving, I have the animal instinct to ram *******s off the road. But I am beyond an animal through the grace of God. We were given reasoning. I can suppress those urges.

The suppression of urges, especially animalistic urges, is not only right but it is encouraged through God and His divine will. To control the sexual urges that plague most human beings is hard to do, but it was meant to be done. To love based on sexual compatibility is not really love, it only encompasses one aspect of love, the physical love, or the animalistic love. This is only 1/3 of love. You must respect and even put the emotional and spiritual love above the physical love, which at its base is purely instinctual.

Old 12-17-2008, 05:13 PM

917 posts, read 1,523,492 times
You know as well as anyone that the USA is a VERY sexually repressed country as well as a VERY relegious one. People like us probably belong in Sweden.

Old 12-17-2008, 05:30 PM

3,163 posts, read 7,865,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
Man is the only animal that gets married. Some animals mate for life while others behave like bar room tramps but they don't seem to feel bad about it, it's just their nature. I do think that adultery is wrong because it breaks the commitment that a married couple have made to each other and it's hurtful and deceitful. Millions of people have felt the painful realization that the person they love, their spouse, has cheated on them. However, I honestly don't see anything wrong with fornication and even that word seems old fashioned and out dated. I also think that if a couple is really getting serious about a relationship it would be wise to be sure that they're sexually compatible and there's only one way to find out. Of course I realize that being very sexually active with multiple partners might not be very wise in this time when we still don't see a cure in sight for AIDS and there are other health risks and diseases as well. What I'm really getting at is that the stigma of premarital sex has pretty much disappeared and I honestly think that's a good thing. There was another thread on the forum asking about people getting married so they feel it's ok to have sex. That's one of the reasons I'm asking this question because in my opinion a failed marriage is a much more serious life changing event than a couple who have been sexually active, but not married, and they've discovered that they're really not right for each other. I've always felt that all of the major religions have some really serious hangups about sex in general and that influence in our society has for the most part been a bad one. What is your opinion?
I don't think that exchanging love between man and woman in a sexual way is wrong, if it's with love, it can be one of the most beautiful ways to express it.

but stuff that involves lust, like swinging, cheating, threesomes or stuff like that are wrong, and the abuse of sex even if it's with your partner too why?

Well, first of all when a human reaches an orgasm, the entire body suffers a shock, if you do it too often eventually this shock will take it's toll on your heart and nerves, also specially in the case of men, ejaculating has a weakening effect, it is said that loosing a drop of semen is like loosing 8 drops of blood, because it is something intended to create a new life, and when you run out of it, the body has to replenish it, taking other valuable components that could be used to nourish your bodily cells, if this is done in excess, you would experience a loss of energy, and irritability, and it would take a tremendous toll on the body in the long term.

Besides that, we all know the nasty side effects of swinging, cheating, involving in group sex and all those things.

Love and Light!

Old 12-17-2008, 05:41 PM

14,755 posts, read 15,437,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann in Oriental View Post
You know as well as anyone that the USA is a VERY sexually repressed country as well as a VERY relegious one. People like us probably belong in Sweden.
Good observation. A cousin of mine came over from Southern Europe and found how puritanical we are to be ridiculous. To some extent, I agree.

Old 12-17-2008, 05:42 PM

25,003 posts, read 18,618,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronK View Post
You are mistaken to compare us to the mere likes of an animal. We are above the animal kingdom in that we have the power to know that we know. While animals may know things, and they do, human beings know how and why we know. It is this awareness and evolution, through God's will, that takes us above the animal kingdom.

This isn't to say we lost our animal instincts. We didn't. Some days when I'm driving, I have the animal instinct to ram *******s off the road. But I am beyond an animal through the grace of God. We were given reasoning. I can suppress those urges.

The suppression of urges, especially animalistic urges, is not only right but it is encouraged through God and His divine will. To control the sexual urges that plague most human beings is hard to do, but it was meant to be done. To love based on sexual compatibility is not really love, it only encompasses one aspect of love, the physical love, or the animalistic love. This is only 1/3 of love. You must respect and even put the emotional and spiritual love above the physical love, which at its base is purely instinctual.
How dare you hold yourself above other animals. You are nothing more than an animal yourself...A species of ape to be exact. I have seen more love from my pug than from most people I know.

Many species mate for life, it is in their nature, but I really do not think it is in mankind's nature. It is forced on us by society and religion. I think man like the other apes is not naturally monogamous.

I see nothing wrong with sex outside of marriage, but unfortunately many I've been with think that sex means some sort of commitment. That can make it awkward to say the least.

Old 12-17-2008, 05:44 PM

25,003 posts, read 18,618,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann in Oriental View Post
Canada is much closer....

Old 12-17-2008, 05:47 PM

3,163 posts, read 7,865,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
I see nothing wrong with sex outside of marriage, but unfortunately many I've been with think that sex means some sort of commitment. That can make it awkward to say the least.
I see nothing wrong with sex outside marriage either, even casual sex for people without compromises isn't wrong per se, it is the abuse what is wrong imho, or engaging into weird stuff for the reasons given above in a previous post.

Regarding to commitment, I guess it is because if you are sharing intimacy with a person, that can open the door to a lot of things like std's or someone feeling connected emotionally and then suffer because the other person doesn't feel like that.

However I guess that if you 2 single adults decide to have a sexual encounter and the terms are set before, in all honesty is not wrong, but it should be done in moderation

Old 12-17-2008, 06:05 PM

7,917 posts, read 11,718,742 times
AaronK wrote:
Quote:
To control the sexual urges that plague most human beings is hard to do, but it was meant to be done.
That seems like a strange way to describe to describe our natural sexual desires, as though they are some kind of sickness that must be avoided like the black plague. I don't see human beings as existing at some higher level than the rest of nature. In fact, I've always found that attitude to be egotistical and irrational. For example, dogs and cats are always following their natural instincts and behaving like the furry sluts that they are and yet a dog is probably more loyal and trustworthy to their human masters than any human being we'll ever know (just ask June about Misha). I think that human beings are at some stage in our evolution in which we are very mixed up in terms of the conflicts between our natural and healthy desires and our imaginary position as having a position of authority over all of nature and only God is above us.

Old 12-17-2008, 06:55 PM

2,955 posts, read 5,007,286 times
Fornication is one of those things (like, say, intoxication) that is not wrong at all in principle, but can become "wrong" if you abuse it and/or let it control you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality