Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2009, 11:32 AM

2,331 posts, read 3,373,946 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbrich View Post
I have a question:

Why is the book of mormon written in King James style English when it was supposedly translated in the 1800's from gold plates that were thousands of years old.
I don't understand the problem you are having. The Book of Mormon is ANOTHER testament of Jesus Christ. It is a book written by ancient prophets, as was the Bible. It was translated from the language used by the prophets into the biblical language commonly used in the days of the translation. What else did you expect?

But here is a link to some in-depth treatments of the matter if you are sincerely interested in learning and not just trying to discredit the Book of Mormon and Latter-day Saints:

http://www.fairlds.org/apol/ai285.html

Old 03-19-2009, 11:33 AM

4,655 posts, read 5,065,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justamere10 View Post
I don't understand the problem you are having. The Book of Mormon is ANOTHER testament of Jesus Christ. It is a book written by ancient prophets, as was the Bible. It was translated from the language used by the prophets into the biblical language commonly used in the days of the translation. What else did you expect?

They didn't speak King James style English in the 1800's.

Old 03-19-2009, 11:42 AM

Quote:
They didn't speak King James style English in the 1800's.
But they read the King James version of the bible did they not?

Old 03-19-2009, 11:50 AM

Quote:
But they read the King James version of the bible did they not?

Perhaps.

So, Joe translated it to KJV English because that's what he thought people would expect?

Old 03-19-2009, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Perhaps.

So, Joe translated it to KJV English because that's what he thought people would expect?
You are cynical and in my opinion disrespectful of the religious beliefs of others. You needn't be that way to learn. Would you write in an "Ask a Catholic" forum and call the Pope "Joe" or "Ben" or whatever? (Don't answer that, perhaps you would.)

Joseph Smith, God's chosen prophet of the restoration tanslated the Book of Mormon by "the gift and power of God." He pronounced to his scribe the sentences in the English language that were shown to him during the translation.

Do you think it would have been better for God to "translate" what was written by ancient prophets into Greek or Hebrew or some other language so it could be retranslated by scholars into English that could be read by common Americans in the 1800's and later?

What do you expect? Why should the Book of Mormon not have been translated into the language Americans were used to reading when they interacted with the word of God written by ancient prophets?

But as I mentioned above, I don't understand your problem other than you apparently for whatever reasons may motivate you detest members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and their religious beliefs. If you sincerely want your question answered in-depth, click the link I provided and read the scholarly articles on the matter.

The Book of Mormon provides ANOTHER testament of Jesus Christ. If you are a Christian I should think you'd be pleased to know more about our Savior and Redeemer than is contained in the few books chosen from among many by scholars to be included in the Holy Bible. At least that's the way I see it...

Old 03-19-2009, 12:16 PM

1,577 posts, read 3,698,818 times
Quote:
You are cynical and in my opinion disrespectful of the religious beliefs of others. You needn't be that way to learn. ...
lol, now your even getting a response that Athiests get, JD

Not so dissimilar. Yours is basically the same skeptism but on a smaller scale. I like the irony.

Old 03-19-2009, 12:59 PM

Quote:
You are cynical and in my opinion disrespectful of the religious beliefs of others. You needn't be that way to learn. Would you write in an "Ask a Catholic" forum and call the Pope "Joe" or "Ben" or whatever? (Don't answer that, perhaps you would.)

Joseph Smith, God's chosen prophet of the restoration tanslated the Book of Mormon by "the gift and power of God." He pronounced to his scribe the sentences in the English language that were shown to him during the translation.

Do you think it would have been better for God to "translate" what was written by ancient prophets into Greek or Hebrew or some other language so it could be retranslated by scholars into English that could be read by common Americans in the 1800's and later?

What do you expect? Why should the Book of Mormon not have been translated into the language Americans were used to reading when they interacted with the word of God written by ancient prophets?

But as I mentioned above, I don't understand your problem other than you apparently for whatever reasons may motivate you detest members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and their religious beliefs. If you sincerely want your question answered in-depth, click the link I provided and read the scholarly articles on the matter.

The Book of Mormon provides ANOTHER testament of Jesus Christ. If you are a Christian I should think you'd be pleased to know more about our Savior and Redeemer than is contained in the few books chosen from among many by scholars to be included in the Holy Bible. At least that's the way I see it...

I think the fact that joe smith felt the need to use KJV English is yet another hole in the religion of mormonism. I'm sorry...your religion just isn't Christian. It doesn't match up with Biblical Christianity.

The book of mormon is just not an inspired book. It's not scripture. The jesus of mormanism is not the same one in the Bible. I'd think you'd be intersted to know that.

Old 03-19-2009, 02:02 PM

Quote:
I think the fact that joe smith felt the need to use KJV English is yet another hole in the religion of mormonism. I'm sorry...your religion just isn't Christian. It doesn't match up with Biblical Christianity.

The book of mormon is just not an inspired book. It's not scripture. The jesus of mormanism is not the same one in the Bible. I'd think you'd be intersted to know that.
You are persistent but unfortunately for you your individual opinion does not trump the witness from God that many millions of people have received to the contrary.

But ok, let's start with your proof of one thing at a time and we can have a discussion about the validity of your claim. Please include links to valid sources, thanks.

Old 03-19-2009, 03:24 PM

Quote:
You are persistent but unfortunately for you your individual opinion does not trump the witness from God that many millions of people have received to the contrary.
You mean the "testimony", or fuzzy feeling they get? We shouldn't base our opinion of truth on emotion. What if my "testimony" is that your church is false? Who's right? And why?
Quote:

But ok, let's start with your proof of one thing at a time and we can have a discussion about the validity of your claim. Please include links to valid sources, thanks.
OK...let's start with the person of Jesus. The Bible does not present him as a brother to Lucifer and a physical son of God. The Bible presents him as God--the 2nd person of the Trinity. He is God. Big difference between the 2 images of Jesus.

Old 03-19-2009, 03:59 PM

Quote:
You mean the "testimony", or fuzzy feeling they get? We shouldn't base our opinion of truth on emotion. What if my "testimony" is that your church is false? Who's right? And why?

OK...let's start with the person of Jesus. The Bible does not present him as a brother to Lucifer and a physical son of God. The Bible presents him as God--the 2nd person of the Trinity. He is God. Big difference between the 2 images of Jesus.
So, millions of people all over the world have been deceived by their "emotions" but your contrary notions are correct? That hardly seems logical to me, but you are certainly entitled to your opinions for all they are worth.

Trying to describe how the Holy Spirit moves upon a person is sort of like trying to describe the taste of salt to someone who has never tasted it. There are some things you just need to experience for yourself to understand. The Holy Spirit is sometimes experienced as a flow of intelligence accompanied simultaneously by intense feelings of joy. That's one way that God communicates with His children on earth who sincerely and humbly ask Him for answers to questions that could have eternal consequences attached to them.

I reverence and study the Holy Bible, it's in LDS canon. But I do not limit myself to the few books that were placed in the bible by scholars for my knowledge of God.

But you have not presented any proofs of anything, just more of your own opinions and personal interpretations of the bible.

Are you seriously trying to claim that there is nothing in the bible that says that God the Father is the father of the physical body of Jesus? Who was the father of the physical body of Jesus then if not God the Father? Please support your opinion with one or more quotes from the scriptures.

I too believe that Jesus is part of the triune God, the "Godhead" specifically. But he is not God the Father, he is God the Son, a separate individual now resurrected and glorified.

Latter-day Saints understand that God the Father is the Father of the spirit bodies that animate and integrate our physical bodies (the "ghost in the machine.") As such we are all spirit brothers and sisters. That may not be clear from the books of the bible, just another evidence that we need to know more than is contained in the bible alone. If if wasn't so there would not be 10,000 or more Christian churches.

Thank-you for sharing your opinions with us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.