Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2009, 05:01 PM

3,196 posts, read 5,394,590 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by effie briest View Post
thanks, mzjamiedawn, it would dawn on quickwitted statistitians.
It would probably even be an awareness of DIMWITTED statisticians.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2009, 05:03 PM

4,511 posts, read 7,517,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcashley View Post
on their part? i doubt that.

Old 04-29-2009, 05:25 PM

2,529 posts, read 4,349,970 times
Quote:
How do you know this?
“Thirty percent of atheists and agnostics had been married and subsequently divorced. However, the three-point difference from the national average was within the range of sampling error, suggesting that their likelihood of experiencing a dissolved marriage is the same as that of the population at-large. A representative from Barna also pointed out the atheists and agnostics have lower rates of marriage and a higher likelihood of cohabitation, a combination of behaviors that distort comparisons with other segments.

According to a Barna Group study from 1999 with a sample size of 3854, the percentage of atheists getting divorced was lower than that for Christians or Jews[3]

However, a follow up study in 2001 that looked into cohabitation trends found that Christians weren't cohabitating in the same proportions as non-Christians and that was affecting the results from the 1999 study. Checking for born again Christians specifically, it was found that 80% of born again Christians were or had been married compared to 69% for all other groups. When this was adjusted for, it gave born again Christians a slightly lower divorce rate than the general population. The difference is within the margin of error.[4]

Another Barna study in 2004 looking only at people who had married and their rate of divorce (sample size of 3,614) found that there was no difference in divorce rate between born again Christians and other Christians and that Christians on a whole had a slightly lower percentage of divorce when compared to atheists and agnostics. The difference is within the margin of error.[5]

Old 04-29-2009, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by effie briest View Post
thanks, mzjamiedawn, it would dawn on quickwitted statistitians.
Quote:
Maybe all statisticians are dimwitted. Or, I'm just smarter than they are.

Old 04-29-2009, 05:55 PM

33,521 posts, read 37,121,123 times
You do know what the purpose of conservapedia is don't you? And you first quote is directly from an Atheist bashing site...Neither of these sites have credibility because of bias.

Old 04-29-2009, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
You do know what the purpose of conservapedia is don't you? And you first quote is directly from an Atheist bashing site...Neither of these sites have credibility because of bias.
No, I really don't.

And as a side note, I couldn't care less if there are more divorces with Christians than atheists. Heck, I'm a Christian, and I'm divorced!

I still believe there are probably more non-believers just living together, than Christians. Not to say Christians don't do that!!

Old 04-29-2009, 10:18 PM

3,196 posts, read 5,394,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzjamiedawn View Post
No, I really don't.

And as a side note, I couldn't care less if there are more divorces with Christians than atheists. Heck, I'm a Christian, and I'm divorced!

I still believe there are probably more non-believers just living together, than Christians. Not to say Christians don't do that!!
I'll check out the census data tomorrow--apparently there is very little credible data on this subject.

Old 04-29-2009, 11:14 PM

33,521 posts, read 37,121,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzjamiedawn View Post
No, I really don't.

Nor do I care, and I think you are probably right that more Atheists live together without marriage than Christians...Percentage wise that is..

Why conservapedia is not a good source to use in any debate...

http://rationalwiki.com/wiki/Conservapedia:Bias_in_Conservapedia_(May_2007 (broken link))

Old 04-29-2009, 11:19 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShepsMom View Post
I've read few posts here and have a question.
According to christian believes, in order to get in heaven, all you have to do is to accept JC. Right?

So you can sin, kill, cheat, not follow commandments, do all kinds of crazy stuff, but as long as you accept JC, you have a sure ticket to heaven.

Then why do you need to worship, pray, go to church, and do all that stuff? If you already accepted JC, why bother with all that nonsense?

Oh, and if everything above is forgiven, who needs morals?
im with you, a lota people think they got a hall pass --they are guna burn anyway, i already got my asbestos suit in layaway.

Old 04-30-2009, 07:55 AM

177 posts, read 381,367 times
Accepting JESUS CHRIST is not just a verbal thing to start with.. All sins can be forgiven, as long as they repent and turn there backs on there old ways.. remember that a person who accepts CHRIST will follow his steps in a term called "CHRISTLIKENESS".. a person who says that he/she accepted Christ and continues to shame HIS name this a good verse for them..

Hebrews 9:26-27 : (26)For if we sin willfully after that we have received the knowledge of the truth, there remaineth no more sacrifice for sins,..(27)But a certain fearful looking for of judgment and fiery indignation, which shall devour the adversaries.

Another quote to read:

James 2:17-18 : (17)Even so faith, if it hath not works, is dead, being alone.(18) Yea, a man may say, Thou hast faith, and I have works: show me thy faith without thy works, and I will show thee my faith by my works.

Hope this helps..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality