Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2008, 10:29 PM

307 posts, read 1,181,504 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbrich View Post
I appreciated the sincerity and kind words from Gillette...but I wonder how many people who reject it actually understand what the Bible actually says, and what it is.
Some of us who do reject the bible, it isn't because we are ignorant of what's in it, but we reject it's credibility to begin with. It's not rejecting God's word necessarily (in spite of what some passages might declare), it's the lack of belief in it being God's word. It's just old mythology or literature to us, like the Eddy or the Vedas, that's been misinterpreted into something else over the years. Besides one's inability to recall which book of the bible belongs where is meaningless. I've read many parts of the bible, not all of it, some parts more than others. I would probably get things like that confused, like any other religious text I don't study on a regular basis, although I understood it at an earlier point in life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2008, 05:46 AM

4,655 posts, read 5,069,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcane View Post
Some of us who do reject the bible, it isn't because we are ignorant of what's in it, but we reject it's credibility to begin with. It's not rejecting God's word necessarily (in spite of what some passages might declare), it's the lack of belief in it being God's word. It's just old mythology or literature to us, like the Eddy or the Vedas, that's been misinterpreted into something else over the years. Besides one's inability to recall which book of the bible belongs where is meaningless. I've read many parts of the bible, not all of it, some parts more than others. I would probably get things like that confused, like any other religious text I don't study on a regular basis, although I understood it at an earlier point in life.

If that's true, then fine--your choice. I don't believe that most folks that reject it really know what it teaches, though.

But the question about which testament Psalms is in is pretty basic.

Old 12-22-2008, 06:26 AM

5,160 posts, read 9,172,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DayoftheLord View Post
An atheist gets why we proselytize....that's got to be a first.
No, most of us actually "get it". It's just that some of the tactics people resort to are just, annoying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality