Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2008, 04:58 PM

33,526 posts, read 37,125,817 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shannybannany View Post
Fine...how about this:

"In my opinion Christmas trees are not a big deal." "Personally, I wouldn't be offended"

Do you see the difference? If not...still have a wonderful day.

Shanny
What the heck do you think, I think means anyway if not my opinion....Boy are you ever sensitive
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2008, 05:00 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,619,641 times
From the way you described it I had the impression that this person was showing you a lack of respect that was unnecessary and was taking a dig at your personal beliefs. Of course I wasn't there but that's how it comes across in your description of the events. I have to admit that I would have been a little hurt in those circumstances because afterall Christmas is supposed to be a time of extending good will and friendship between people so it would seem like an inappropriate way to behave. I realize that the Christmas tree symbol is not a 2,000 year old tradition and they don't even have trees like those in the Middle East but I could care less about that. It's clearly been a tradition for centuries and I've never heard of any other description for this display except for "a Christmas tree". Anyway, here's an atheist who understands how you probably feel. The Christmas tree has been part of American culture for a very long time which certainly includes all of my life and at least a few generations before me. No matter what anyone believes I think they should respect the feelings of others before they start yapping about their own opinions.

Old 12-22-2008, 06:30 PM

1,369 posts, read 4,637,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
What the heck do you think, I think means anyway if not my opinion....Boy are you ever sensitive
There is no reason to cuss at me. Good Day!

Old 12-22-2008, 06:57 PM

15,859 posts, read 21,430,343 times
Quote:
There is no reason to cuss at me. Good Day!
There wasn't a single "cuss" in that sentence. Again, sensitivity.

Why can't she call it a holiday tree? Would you prefer she called it a Chanukkah tree. That's what I grew up with in my home- covered in home made dreidel and Star of David ornaments. My Jewish boyfriend grew up with a holiday tree.

My mom now teaches daycare and she refers to it as a holiday tree. She has students of various faiths in her class- including a little Hindu boy who has a holiday tree himself.

Not a big deal.

Old 12-22-2008, 07:08 PM

8,734 posts, read 13,814,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by witchseavey View Post
I know that when folks have identified my Pentagram as a Star of David,
But wouldn't that be a hexagram, not a pentagram? If someone did mistake your pentagram four a Star of David, they couldn't count.

Old 12-22-2008, 08:38 PM

1,369 posts, read 4,637,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
There wasn't a single "cuss" in that sentence. Again, sensitivity. I don't talk that way and people that substitute heck for something else doesn't fool me.

Why can't she call it a holiday tree? Would you prefer she called it a Chanukkah tree. That's what I grew up with in my home- covered in home made dreidel and Star of David ornaments. My Jewish boyfriend grew up with a holiday tree.
So I guess I can then call her Menorah a candlebra then?

My mom now teaches daycare and she refers to it as a holiday tree. She has students of various faiths in her class- including a little Hindu boy who has a holiday tree himself.

Not a big deal.
To you...
I'm done here. I thought I had a valid point to share but obviously, the majority of posters here validate themselves by being smug and pretentious. Sheesh!

Old 12-22-2008, 08:43 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,856,623 times
Quote:
Wow! I am surprized by some of the answers here. I am VERY aware that a Christmas tree was not around for Jesus's birth BUT, to me, it represents a certain part of people who practice Christianity.

Thank you PanTerra....you obviously understand my feelings....it is about respect.

to the pp who asked if I sat down with her and asked he religious beliefs compared to mine....the answer is yes.

I am very surprized by the hostility here.

Merry Christmas!
Well, just my opinion here, but.... it really isn't very surprizing to me, I have normally felt that christianity brings out the worst in some people.

Old 12-22-2008, 10:48 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,249,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
No this is an example of the "I" word, where you claim what you can control and let others claim what they do. "I" don't see that the name makes a big difference.... means that I am saying what I believe and do no mean to control your thought. "You shouldn't make a big deal about the name.... says I assume control over what is yours... when I do not have that control so I tell you what you should think.

Using "I" says what you mean in a non confrontational way, and gives the other person a fair chance to continue the diagoluge with their own statement of what "I" believes. It encourages communications.

Using "You" means I have stated what I believe and insist that you do too, which leaves no room for communication or discourse. It means that I do not value your ideas. "You" comments are the basis for many a hurt and hard time and worse.

Try this the next time you get into an arugument. Remember that "I" only control myself and no one else. Give the other person a chance to express themselves and do not try to stage a coup. Its very suprising how different the results can be.

The "I" words are a basic componant of relation therapy regardless of the kind of relationship.

Old 12-24-2008, 01:33 PM

917 posts, read 2,298,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
I understand your issue. You feel she is belittling what you consider a religious tradition while you are not belittling hers. I would tell her exactly that. Tell her you would never call her menorah a candlabra and you'd appreciate it if she'd stop trying to make your Christmas tree a holiday tree because Christmas is a religious holiday for you.

While the tree wasn't around in the time of Christ, it has come to be associated with Christmas.
This agnostic totally agrees with Ivorytickler's post!

Old 12-24-2008, 06:10 PM

3,162 posts, read 11,434,626 times
Quote:
I work in a preschool and a teacher from the neighboring (half wall between us) classroom is Jewish. I am Christian.

She refers to the Christmas tree as a "holiday" tree. She has a sad little Charlie Brown tree in her room and again....calls it a Holiday tree. I bought a beautiful Christmas tree and decorated it but she again refers to my tree as a "holiday" tree.
If someone calls it a Christmas tree, she rudely interupts and says, "It's a Holiday Tree, please"

Mind you several Menorahs are prominent in both her and my classrooms. I certainly wouldn't call a menorah a candlebra? I understand how important a Menorah is to the Jewish people. My step-father was Jewish. I am very aware.

Does anyone understand my frustration? I am very upset by this.

Thank you,
Shanny
I perfectly understand you, the issue here is not what she thinks about the tree (which is respectable) but that she wants everybody to adjust to her beliefs instead of respecting what does the tree means to you, (or others)

unfortunately my dear friend, there are difficult people in this world and you can't change them, like my wise guru said.

some people are such slaves of their egoes!!

use this experience to your advantage, and remember never to do that to people from other religions, and send loving thoughts to this teacher.

Merry Christmas!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality