Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2008, 07:48 AM

1,362 posts, read 4,608,985 times

Advertisements

THe one thing that overall I've found that doesn't jive with me is when the bible says god is the same yesterday, today, and forever. If that's true why don't we have the god of the Old testament still? If he's eternally the same, why did he decided to change course and put his son out there to be worshipped as a way to heaven?

One argument I through out to someone yesterday that if god is always the same why have his standards regarding marriage changed? With all of the gay marriage talk going on I saw that lunatic Rick Warren on 20/20 last week. He said that for 5,000 years (which Christians believe existance has only been around for 6,000) that god has had marriage defined as one man and one woman.

Bull shi+

There were tons of "men of god" in the bible with multiple wives, relatives as wives, and under age wives. If he is unchanging then why go from a polygamist, incestual, pedophilic form of marriage to one man-one woman?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2008, 07:57 AM

2,214 posts, read 5,566,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Anyone know of some contradictions in the Bible that bother them.

I for one don't understand why the Genealogies of Jesus in both Matthew and Luke end with Joseph instead of Mary. Since Joseph is not Jesus's father, aren't these genealogies derailed?

There are also separate accounts of where and when the wise men visited Jesus in Matthew and Luke.
One of the geneologies goes thru the line of Mary,one thru the line of Joseph.

The wise men visited Jesus at a house in Matthew. There is no mention of them in Luke?

Old 12-23-2008, 08:13 AM

4,655 posts, read 5,049,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTO Luv View Post
THe one thing that overall I've found that doesn't jive with me is when the bible says god is the same yesterday, today, and forever. If that's true why don't we have the god of the Old testament still? If he's eternally the same, why did he decided to change course and put his son out there to be worshipped as a way to heaven?

He is the same. He hasn't changed. We did...but he didn't.

God still will punish the lawbreaker--or Christ instead.

This is not a change in plans--because we see messianic prophecies as early as Genesis predicting Christ.

"Gen 3:15 And I will put hostility between you and the woman
and between your offspring and her offspring;
her offspring will attack your head,
and you will attack her offspring's heel."
Quote:

One argument I through out to someone yesterday that if god is always the same why have his standards regarding marriage changed? With all of the gay marriage talk going on I saw that lunatic Rick Warren on 20/20 last week. He said that for 5,000 years (which Christians believe existance has only been around for 6,000) that god has had marriage defined as one man and one woman.

There were tons of "men of god" in the bible with multiple wives, relatives as wives, and under age wives. If he is unchanging then why go from a polygamist, incestual, pedophilic form of marriage to one man-one woman?
God's plan is and was 1 man, 1 woman. That's why he created Adam, and Eve to go along with him.

God ALLOWED but didn't necessarily endorse multiple wives.

I'm not familiar with any pedophilic marriages? Can you point one out to me? The first men did marry their sisters...but I believe the human race was a little more pure then, and it wasn't an issue.

Old 12-23-2008, 08:21 AM

520 posts, read 893,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbrich View Post
Ok, but at one time polygamy was ok in the eyes of god, now it isn’t. How is this not god changing?

Old 12-23-2008, 08:27 AM

20,594 posts, read 19,259,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicIsYourFriend View Post
Here's one:

Genesis 38:8-10
And Judah said unto Onan, Go in unto thy brother's wife, and marry her, and raise up seed to thy brother. And Onan knew that the seed should not be his; and it came to pass, when he went in unto his brother's wife, that he spilled it on the ground, lest that he should give seed to his brother. And the thing which he did displeased the LORD: wherefore he slew him also.

Leviticus 20:21
And if a man shall take his brother's wife, it is an unclean thing: he hath uncovered his brother's nakedness; they shall be childless.
Hi LogicIsYourFriend,

Some of these things you post are about as intellectually fraudulent as I have seen. Leviticus is not speaking about the widowed. You excluded that part in Genesis did you not?

Deuteronomy 25
5 “If brothers dwell together, and one of them dies and has no son, the widow of the dead man shall not be married to a stranger outside the family; her husband’s brother shall go in to her, take her as his wife, and perform the duty of a husband’s brother to her. 6 And it shall be that the firstborn son which she bears will succeed to the name of his dead brother, that his name may not be blotted out of Israel. 7 But if the man does not want to take his brother’s wife, then let his brother’s wife go up to the gate to the elders, and say, ‘My husband’s brother refuses to raise up a name to his brother in Israel; he will not perform the duty of my husband’s brother.’ 8 Then the elders of his city shall call him and speak to him. But if he stands firm and says, ‘I do not want to take her,’ 9 then his brother’s wife shall come to him in the presence of the elders, remove his sandal from his foot, spit in his face, and answer and say, ‘So shall it be done to the man who will not build up his brother’s house.’ 10 And his name shall be called in Israel, ‘The house of him who had his sandal removed.’

Old 12-23-2008, 08:29 AM

605 posts, read 1,105,142 times
Quote:
He is the same. He hasn't changed. We did...but he didn't.

God still will punish the lawbreaker--or Christ instead.

This is not a change in plans--because we see messianic prophecies as early as Genesis predicting Christ.

"Gen 3:15 And I will put hostility between you and the woman
and between your offspring and her offspring;
her offspring will attack your head,
and you will attack her offspring's heel."

God's plan is and was 1 man, 1 woman. That's why he created Adam, and Eve to go along with him.

I'm not familiar with any pedophilic marriages? Can you point one out to me? The first men did marry their sisters...but I believe the human race was a little more pure then, and it wasn't an issue.
You might want to check Moses' parents. A little odd considering he supposedly brings forward laws that prohibit incest when he was a child of incest himself.

"And Amram took him Jochebed his father's sister to wife; and she bare him Aaron and Moses: and the years of the life of Amram were an hundred and thirty and seven years." (Exod 6:20)

The things they don't teach ya in Sunday School.

Regards,

DeGuire

Old 12-23-2008, 08:31 AM

2,214 posts, read 5,566,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deguire View Post
You might want to check Moses' parents. A little odd considering he supposedly brings forward laws that prohibit incest when he was a child of incest himself.

"And Amram took him Jochebed his father's sister to wife; and she bare him Aaron and Moses: and the years of the life of Amram were an hundred and thirty and seven years." (Exod 6:20)

The things they don't teach ya in Sunday School.

Regards,

DeGuire

Initially, wasnt it impossible for man NOT to be a child of incest? And as the population grew, was it not equally likely that this not be necessary any longer?

Old 12-23-2008, 08:32 AM

4,655 posts, read 5,049,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forkpower View Post
Ok, but at one time polygamy was ok in the eyes of god, now it isn’t. How is this not god changing?
It was never really "OK"...just tolerated.

Old 12-23-2008, 08:34 AM

Quote:
It was never really "OK"...just tolerated.
And now its not. Change

Old 12-23-2008, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alicenevada View Post
Initially, wasnt it impossible for man NOT to be a child of incest? And as the population grew, was it not equally likely that this not be necessary any longer?
Very true, if there were only to peole to begin with then there would have to be inscest in order for there to be reproduction. But then some where along the line god decided that this wasnt ok any more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality