Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2008, 12:02 PM

5,438 posts, read 5,944,684 times

Advertisements

Any teaching, whether it's labeled as Christian or not, that is not 100% in truth is doctrines of devils and/or heresies. For instance, "once saved always saved" would fall into these categories. Speaking in tongues at will is one, too. The real baptism of the Holy Ghost is the Spirit, not the person, who gives the utterance. Or, the teaching that the Holy Ghost is not for us today.

(Isaiah 28:11) "For with stammering lips and another tongue will he speak to this people."

(Acts 2:4) "And they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance."

(Acts 19:6) "And when Paul had laid his hands upon them, the Holy Ghost came on them; and they spake with tongues . . . . . ."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2008, 04:05 PM

4,655 posts, read 5,069,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShepsMom View Post
When you're read the bible and you make your own decision on what exactly specific verse is stating, what is your decision based on?
I was wondering if everyone interpret the bible to suit their own?
Take any preacher in any church. Are they preaching the same thing?
From what i understand, different churches preach different stuff. You go to church, you listen, you either like what they preach or you don't.

So, here is my question:
Whose interpretation is the right one?? Bible written how long ago?? Those who wrote it had their own thoughts and ideas on what needs to be written and why. How do you know that your way of interpretation is the same as writers? Did they mean something totally different back then than you think today?
Do you think that mentality of today can be compared to mentality of thousands of years ago?
What if everything that is written is a lie?
Literally--according to what the writer intended. Keep in mind the context of the time, and why it was written.

Old 01-25-2009, 09:09 PM

9 posts, read 15,994 times
"Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed "rightly dividing the word of Truth" (2 Tim. 2:15).
We are to make right divisions in God's Word and realize that although all the Bible is FOR us (for our learning and admonition) it is not all written directly TO us or ABOUT us. The Great division in our Bible is NOT between the so-called Old and New Testament (that is a man-made division and not accurate), the great division in our Bible is between Prophecy, and Mystery. Prophecy is "that which God has spoken by the mouth of all His holy prophets since the world began (Acts 3:21-27; Luke 1:69-72 etc.) concerning His revealed purpose to establish a Kingdom of Righteousness on this planet in and through the nation Israel under their Messiah the Lord Jesus Christ. This is the Millennial Kingdom. However with Israel's rejection of their Messiah God, instead of pouring out His wrath on this Christ rejection world, in the prophesied "tribulation", set aside the favored nation (Israel) in unbelief and raised up the "chief of sinners" Saul made Paul, and sent him forth as the living herald and demonstration of His Mystery (Secret) unprophesied purpose (Rom. 16:25)which is the formation of the Body of Christ saved solely by grace through the merits of Christ's finished work at Calvary. This is the "dispensation of Grace" and this program of God was kept secret in His heart of love until He revealed it to, and then through the Apostle of the Gentiles, Paul. Today we should be proclaiming the Gospel of the Grace of God, not the "gospel of the kingdom". The Bible is a dispensational book (progressively revealed) and only seems to be contradictory when we try and lift commands, curses, and promises, out of one dispensation directed to the nation Israel, and bring it over into the Dispensation of Grace for the Gentiles. (Eph: 3:1-9; Col:1:24-26; Rom. 11:11-15,25, 16:25 etc.) KJV
The church of today is called the The Body of Christ and you will not find one mention of that church in the whole of the Bible except in Paul's epistles since he is the Apostle to the Gentiles (Rom 11:13). Romans thru Philemon (the 13 Gentile epistles of Paul) are our private mail and if we don't get that straight the Bible will forever be hopelessly confusing and contradictory.
I am trying to stay brief because I don't know the rules. This is my first time ever communicating like this as I have been out of the loop so-to-speak for the past 17 years. That all changed 79 days ago. Much more could and should be said but that should do for now.

Old 01-26-2009, 08:15 PM

6,205 posts, read 7,460,466 times
Quote:
When you're read the bible and you make your own decision on what exactly specific verse is stating, what is your decision based on?
Probably yes. Its the same with any other thing in life.
Quote:
Take any preacher in any church. Are they preaching the same thing? From what i understand, different churches preach different stuff. You go to church, you listen, you either like what they preach or you don't.
So, here is my question:
Whose interpretation is the right one??
Your interpretation is the right one. And interpretation is not only how you "read" facts. It is also what you choose to base your opinion upon and what you ignore. Ask Bible scholars one identical question and you will get different responses with each quoting different books and verses. One may choose Luke, the other John and a third will bring verses from the book of revelation, each emphasizing different aspects.
Quote:
Bible written how long ago?? Those who wrote it had their own thoughts and ideas on what needs to be written and why.
Absolutely!
Quote:
How do you know that your way of interpretation is the same as writers?
I can tell you 100% that their understanding and ours are not identical. Furthermore, sometimes they do not "agree" between themselves.
Quote:
Do you think that mentality of today can be compared to mentality of thousands of years ago?
No!
Quote:
There are a few known facts and many subjective descriptions.
One example is politics. In 100 years someone may inquire about G.W. Bush's presidency. How can you determine what is true and what not if people disagree about facts today. Just read the forums. So how can people in 2000 years tell what is true and what is not?

Old 01-26-2009, 10:08 PM

Quote:
From what i understand, different churches preach different stuff. You go to church, you listen, you either like what they preach or you don't.

So, here is my question:
Whose interpretation is the right one?? Bible written how long ago?? Those who wrote it had their own thoughts and ideas on what needs to be written and why. How do you know that your way of interpretation is the same as writers? Did they mean something totally different back then than you think today?
The question is, what did the original writer intend to say...not what we want it to say. We need to take into account context, time period, the culture, etc.

We believe that the Bible was inspired by God--but authored by men. They didn't write down the word-for-word dictation...but they did write the message God gave them.

Old 01-27-2009, 04:06 AM

7,628 posts, read 10,971,100 times
Quote:

So, here is my question:
Historical discovery has ruled out everything in the Bible being a lie.
And the Bible tells us to look to no man for our faith, and the Bible also tells us that the Holy Spirit will teach us all things. I have found that often God reveals those hidden things in His Word to me that way. And Christians of the past have spoken about prophecies in the Bible that had not occured in the day they lived, yet their interpretation of those Scriptures in question were fulfilled 300 years later. So it appears, those who took the Bible literally in the past were correct.

Old 01-27-2009, 08:21 AM

10,908 posts, read 9,555,443 times
Using the bible to intreprete and support the bible? Anyone see the lack of logic here?

Old 01-27-2009, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predos View Post
Using the bible to intreprete and support the bible? Anyone see the lack of logic here?
Considering that the Bible is actually a collection of books, it's certainly reasonable to expect to be able to interpret one book by looking at another book in it.

Old 01-27-2009, 11:02 AM

10,908 posts, read 9,555,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbrich View Post
Considering that the Bible is actually a collection of books, it's certainly reasonable to expect to be able to interpret one book by looking at another book in it.

I disagree. If this book is indeed the work of some God, it would not need to be interpreted. If the message was consistat (as if from one source) it would not need to be intrepreted. Using one of many interpretations to validate another one proves nothing, except who has a more clever way with twisting words.

Old 01-27-2009, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predos View Post
I disagree. If this book is indeed the work of some God, it would not need to be interpreted. If the message was consistat (as if from one source) it would not need to be intrepreted. Using one of many interpretations to validate another one proves nothing, except who has a more clever way with twisting words.

It wasn't "written" by God, in the idea that God literally dictated it word for word. We don't believe that. He allowed the writers to use certain things such as figures of speech, and references to historical and cultural details that the modern day reader just won't understand without some interpretation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality