Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2009, 02:39 PM

970 posts, read 1,700,204 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mams1559 View Post
The Bible is not false ... John 17:14-19

The Bible is not solely of human origin ... 2 Timothy 3:16-17

The Bible is not completely understandable by the human mind alone ... John 16:13-14 ; Ephesians 4:17-18 ; Proverbs 1:7
The bible is true because that's what it says, and we believe it because it's true, and we know it's true because that's what it says...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2009, 02:42 PM

3,412 posts, read 10,171,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mams1559 View Post
The Bible is not false ... John 17:14-19

The Bible is not solely of human origin ... 2 Timothy 3:16-17

The Bible is not completely understandable by the human mind alone ... John 16:13-14 ; Ephesians 4:17-18 ; Proverbs 1:7

You are proving Bible with Bible, how is this a proof?

I believe that 7 dwarfs exist, because Grimm's Snow White story tells me so.

Old 01-21-2009, 11:54 PM

2,430 posts, read 2,767,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShepsMom View Post
You are proving Bible with Bible, how is this a proof?

I believe that 7 dwarfs exist, because Grimm's Snow White story tells me so.
the argument for Bible flows down a legal and common sense vain. It flows from popularity. It comes by referral. All the different evidences support the case for the Bible being a Very Special book. It is not a college history book ( which can be written to take a certain slant), THE BIBLE IS NOT A science book.........the Bible is a Special Book that makes it's own claims........and it is useful to teach certain Ideas and precepts .The points I could sight would sound like Greek to a non believer........the Bible IS NOT written to the person who thinks there is no God power..or God Force...My advice to you. if you do not believe there is a God, is to leave it alone, it could cause you to whack out if you don't believe but are drawn to Bible discussions....The scripture says for a person to come to God they must first believe there is a God.....I just always thought there must be a God............for me there is no other possible answer....what, who, why.made the world?.........if you can walk out side and look at the garden, the clouds ....and think " I know there is no God and really mean it in you heart."..............I can't help you.........If you can say "there must be a God..".......I can send you to many proofs and ways of reason.......you gotta trust something .........trust God.

Old 01-22-2009, 12:10 AM

2,430 posts, read 2,767,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Yeah, and some ignore that the purpose of the crusades was to wipe out Islam. Christians did not build counties...They stole them.... Christians took the land from the native peoples in the Americas, stole their children from their homes and forbid them to speak their native language, slaughtered them by the thousands, and many they didn't kill died of the diseases they imported.

Christopher Columbus sailed in search of wealth. There was nothing altruistic about his motives.
Like I said some will never believe............America was not stolen , bad people did bad thing but yes and always will.........Pilgrims landed and met peaceful Indians.bad people did bad things,,,,yes they still do ...........The were bad Indians to some ate human flesh raped children..............how do we treat them now........maybe you people have a record of perfection.........but I doubt it based on your self loathing and narrow knowledge of All Americans.

Old 01-22-2009, 06:06 AM

5,004 posts, read 15,352,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescityleon View Post
The Bible is not....WHAT............you first!
Logical

Old 01-22-2009, 06:15 AM

Quote:
no not at all the beginning of wisdom is....................somebody finish this thought , please . it is in scripture
Fear is the beginning of wisdom

This means to me that one should really fear God and then RUN.

Old 01-22-2009, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShepsMom View Post
I could hardly comprehend what you wrote, but i try to make a sense of it.

So you admit that JC taught a violent way? Good! And what word exactly are you talking about?

2. Where is he supposed lead me where i can't get myself? If i was sure it was him, we wouldn't be talking now, would we?
Would I look for a church? Not in a million years. Until he appears from the skies and i can clearly see him, then yes, i would say, damn you do exist!

What is leading me now? My own thinking and reasoning, my ability to take responsibility for my own actions, to simply live and learn as i go.
You need your god to lead the way, i don't.
Would you live your life any different if you didn't have your god??
What a great post, but I couldn't rep you again today.

Old 01-22-2009, 06:38 AM

Quote:
.. the book of Acts, i think , Peter (A JEW.)....Prays,has a vision....goes in a deep trance.........believes that God gave Him instruction to visit a gentiles house.......which leads to the spread of the belief that Jesus was there Messiah as more and more believe, it creates history.......Christians are blamed for the Crusades, but Christians built schools , hospitals , countries,(the USA) on and on.......millions of events follow the Birth of Christ ,the good is Hidden from those who do not believe......if you belive the thread of good is amazing to follow.......some of the best books I ever read were books about what american ...Christians did and do......some people only know about the bad things like Salem........most of our best schools and even our Government was created by Christians.......some will not agree and they will never see real history ....look up What chris Columbus really believed........on and on
Oh, Wow! So the Crusdades were good?

Was killing those that didn't become Christian okay?

Around 5,000,000 in the first 4 crusades, with another 1,000,000 in the Albigensian Crusade. Then to weed out those nasty people that were left, there was The Holy Office to deal with, which accounted for around another 140,000. Mostly tortured first before suffering some disgusting fate that they dreamed up. Maybe 200,000 witches, then you can add in the Wars of Religion in Europe that was about 3,400,000, The 30 Years War, 40% of Germany annihilated plus 1000`s of others. Then there was the persecution of the Jews, about 450,000 up to the end of the 17th century and so on.

What Were the Crusades? Overview of Causes, History, and Violence of the Crusades

Quote:
Understanding the Crusades requires understanding that, contrary to traditional stereotypes, they weren't simply an aggressive military campaign against Muslim lands, nor were they merely a defensive military campaign against Muslims on the Iberian peninsula and in the Mediterranean. The Crusades, all of them, were in the first place an attempt to impose orthodox Christianity via military force across a wide swath of territory, and second, the product of Christian contact with a militarily powerful, culturally self-confident, and economically expansionistic religious civilization.

The Crusades, but especially the "true" Crusades launched against Islam in the Middle East, are arguably the most important aspect of the Middle Ages. It was here that medieval warfare, art, politics, trade, religion, and ideals about chivalry all came together. Europe entered the crusading age as one type of society but left it transformed in vital ways which were not always immediately obvious, but which nevertheless contained the seeds of change which continue to impact European and world affairs today.

Furthermore, the Crusades also fundamentally altered the relationship between Christianity and Islam. Although they constituted a decisive military "win" for Islam, the image of barbaric Christian Crusaders continues to haunt Arab Muslim perspectives of Europe and Christianity, especially when combined with the more recent history of European colonialism in the Middle East. It is curious that an ostensibly Islamic military and political triumph could be transformed into a touchstone of Islamic defeat and despair.

Old 01-22-2009, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Yeah, and some ignore that the purpose of the crusades was to wipe out Islam. Christians did not build counties...They stole them.... Christians took the land from the native peoples in the Americas, stole their children from their homes and forbid them to speak their native language, slaughtered them by the thousands, and many they didn't kill died of the diseases they imported.

Christopher Columbus sailed in search of wealth. There was nothing altruistic about his motives.

And they forced the Indians into christianity, and they gathered up slaves for themselves because the Bible said it was okay, and then they forced them insto christianity. and even to this day if you live in a small town in the bible belt you have to almost keep your mouth shut if you are not a christian. in the 60s where i live now you could not get a job if you were not a christian. they wanted to know what church you belonged to and would check it out.

The bible is not a book of justice.

Old 01-22-2009, 11:52 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,603,290 times
The Bible is not a blank canvas for people to interpret as they see fit (although of course that goes on 24 hours a day!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality