U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2008, 07:50 AM

6,558 posts, read 8,202,282 times
Default When Do Friends, Relatives, Etc... Watch Over You?

I've frequently heard it said about relatives or family members that pass away that they are watching over you. I was in the shower the other morning and I started to think about the possibility that if this were true, then dead relatives and friends of mine might be watching me take a shower. Which is fine, I guess... But, then I got to thinking about other things like sex. I honestly don't think I'd like the thought of my grandmother or grandfather watching me have sex whether or not they were dead or alive. Naturally, I don't think that anyone watches over you after they die. I think you just die and that's it. But, I was just wondering for those who feel that friends and family are watching over you; does this mean they always watch you?

If they don't always watch you does this mean that when I'm taking a shower or having sex that I'm unprotected? No pun intended. I suppose it's possible that I could slip on the shower floor and crack my skull open and lay bleeding there because they were kind enough to give me some privacy. But, that really wouldn't be watching over me.

So, for those of you who believe loved ones continue to watch over you, when exactly are they doing it and wouldn't it be nice to have some privacy from time to time?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2008, 08:22 AM

Location: In the North Idaho woods, still surrounded by terriers
2,178 posts, read 4,302,784 times
I remember watching the psychic John Edward one time when he was asked that exact question. He didn't have a pat answer...he sort of clarified that it isn't a visual "watching over", it's sort of an "I know what you are doing and feeling" sort of watching over. Spirit connection, if you will. I don't know what I really feel or believe regarding that. It's nice to think that my father and my son might be still around in some way...and I have had some unexplainable events that might suggest that is true...but I really don't want them, or anyone, checking out my bathroom habits.

Old 12-27-2008, 08:54 AM

3,773 posts, read 6,601,768 times
I would hate to get caught playing with the rubber ducky in the bath tub,that would be quite an embarassing moment. Seriously,I believe that parents use "watching over you" as a comforting agent to their children for when they pass away they will be spiritually linked with them,as God is truly the only omniscient and omnipresent that sees everything we do.

Old 12-27-2008, 09:50 AM

21,840 posts, read 9,713,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by esselcue View Post
I remember watching the psychic John Edward one time when he was asked that exact question. He didn't have a pat answer...he sort of clarified that it isn't a visual "watching over", it's sort of an "I know what you are doing and feeling" sort of watching over. Spirit connection, if you will. I don't know what I really feel or believe regarding that. It's nice to think that my father and my son might be still around in some way...and I have had some unexplainable events that might suggest that is true...but I really don't want them, or anyone, checking out my bathroom habits.
There is a parallel phenomenon that can help you to understand what John Edward was referring to (if you haven't yet become adept at meditation). When you dream there is frequently an accompanying "knowing" of certain things (context, backstory, feelings, etc.) that in NO WAY correspond to what is the actual content of the dream itself . . . you just "know" it and experience the dream as if that is what it is about. When trying to explain the dream after waking . . . you cannot seem to explain why or how you knew it. That is the kind of connection involved. There is no sensory information (visual, etc.) involved.

Old 12-27-2008, 10:31 AM

1,239 posts, read 1,515,082 times
We believe (Catholics) that the dead are in communion with the living, just in a different realm (realm of God). While we can't see the dead, they fill our souls with the Holy Spirit. And I guess they watch over us.

Old 12-27-2008, 10:53 AM

12,346 posts, read 14,139,333 times
Personally, I don't think the dead people are watching anything..I believe their spirit is separated from the body and is returned to God, rejoined may be a better word..But that is my own belief and I respect others who are convinced otherwise, and can find no reason to argue about it, because with God, all things are possible..
I do believe that sometimes we are watched over by angels created by the creator to be messengers to us.., but they are not actually "looking" at us..in the physical sense..I think sometimes they are put in our path to protect us from danger or to bring comfort..I believe they have the ability to appear any way they want to in order to do their work..

Old 12-27-2008, 11:12 AM

1,239 posts, read 1,515,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue62 View Post
Personally, I don't think the dead people are watching anything..I believe their spirit is separated from the body and is returned to God, rejoined may be a better word..But that is my own belief and I respect others who are convinced otherwise, and can find no reason to argue about it, because with God, all things are possible..
I do believe that sometimes we are watched over by angels created by the creator to be messengers to us.., but they are not actually "looking" at us..in the physical sense..I think sometimes they are put in our path to protect us from danger or to bring comfort..I believe they have the ability to appear any way they want to in order to do their work..
That is what you think, which is the problem with protestants. You guys believe whatever you want to believe.

Old 12-27-2008, 11:23 AM

24,018 posts, read 16,649,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronK View Post
That is what you think, which is the problem with protestants. You guys believe whatever you want to believe.
Yeah, and Catholics believe what they are told to believe...Been there done that...

Old 12-27-2008, 11:52 AM

12,346 posts, read 14,139,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronK View Post
I don't lable myself a "Protest-ant", one of the guys, or any name of mans religions..I am just a believer, no feeling of having to join any group to validate my belief I am learning to respect what everyone personally believes about God..I feel it is between them and Him, and I am definitely not on a "mission" to change anyone

Old 12-27-2008, 12:15 PM

1,289 posts, read 1,247,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSTroop View Post
I've frequently heard it said about relatives or family members that pass away that they are watching over you. I was in the shower the other morning and I started to think about the possibility that if this were true, then dead relatives and friends of mine might be watching me take a shower. Which is fine, I guess... But, then I got to thinking about other things like sex. I honestly don't think I'd like the thought of my grandmother or grandfather watching me have sex whether or not they were dead or alive. Naturally, I don't think that anyone watches over you after they die. I think you just die and that's it. But, I was just wondering for those who feel that friends and family are watching over you; does this mean they always watch you?

If they don't always watch you does this mean that when I'm taking a shower or having sex that I'm unprotected? No pun intended. I suppose it's possible that I could slip on the shower floor and crack my skull open and lay bleeding there because they were kind enough to give me some privacy. But, that really wouldn't be watching over me.

So, for those of you who believe loved ones continue to watch over you, when exactly are they doing it and wouldn't it be nice to have some privacy from time to time?
LOL Love it. Kind of like our own personal Truman shows, right? I think we've all wondered about the shower and sex thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality