U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-29-2008, 12:39 PM
 
594 posts, read 899,254 times
Reputation: 308

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuSuSushi View Post
I rely on science, logic, and hard evidence to come to the (dis)beliefs I hold.
And you have faith that your "science, logic, and hard evidence" are correct. Otherwise, of what value are they?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-29-2008, 12:44 PM
 
Location: Montrose, CA
3,031 posts, read 7,706,210 times
Reputation: 1919
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post
Only by atheists, my friend, only by atheists.
First off, you know very well you're not my friend. Secondly, I reiterate -- it takes no faith to disbelieve in something that has no evidence to support its existence.

Do you have faith that Santa doesn't exist, or do you simply acknowledge the fact that he's a fairy tale? And for once, leave aside your standard disingenuity if at all possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-29-2008, 12:45 PM
 
Location: Montrose, CA
3,031 posts, read 7,706,210 times
Reputation: 1919
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatManDoo View Post
And you have faith that your "science, logic, and hard evidence" are correct. Otherwise, of what value are they?
Barely worth even a response saying that your statement doesn't warrant any sort of real response, since you are so intent on being an ostrich.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-29-2008, 12:55 PM
 
Location: LAT: 40.77 LON: 73.98
604 posts, read 943,207 times
Reputation: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post
So you're confused and consider it a double standard when a thread on biblical prophecy contains scripture.....and here I thought I was posting in one of the few 'legitimate' threads that appear time to time....

Christian: Jesus is coming soon because the bible says in the book of Matthew that blah blah blah so this means he is coming back soon.

Skeptic: You believe that simply because a book says so?

Christian: Oh yes, because the Bible says in Psalm blah blah that the bible is the truth and because it says it is the truth I believe it is the truth.

Skeptic: But how can you use the Bible to prove the Bible? That creates circular arguments.

Christian: Well the Bible is the word of God so it doesn't matter what you say. Nothing you can say can shake my faith. Just look at II Timothy 3:16-17. It says that all scripture is inspired by God blah blah blah.

Skeptic:


The thread I referenced reminded me of that type of dialog even if it was not the best of examples for your taste.

Regards,


DeGuire
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-29-2008, 12:55 PM
 
Location: in my house
1,385 posts, read 2,626,783 times
Reputation: 553
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatManDoo View Post
And you have faith that your "science, logic, and hard evidence" are correct. Otherwise, of what value are they?
Faith is following something blindly.
We can test and prove scientific theories to be true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-29-2008, 12:56 PM
 
594 posts, read 899,254 times
Reputation: 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuSuSushi View Post
Barely worth even a response saying that your statement doesn't warrant any sort of real response, since you are so intent on being an ostrich.
You don't have faith in your science, logic, and hard evidence? How was my statement incorrect? I'm not saying that I disagree with science and logic, or that they're invalid, just that they DO require faith.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-29-2008, 01:04 PM
 
Location: Whoville....
25,371 posts, read 28,780,005 times
Reputation: 14385
Depends on how the argument is used. For example, some of the Kosher rules prevented health issues. That makes the bible before it's time.

If you're quoting scripture that calls the bible the "word" then no. Any book can call itself anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-29-2008, 01:06 PM
 
Location: Jacksonville,Florida
3,772 posts, read 9,192,655 times
Reputation: 1971
Science and logic are not 100% full-proof ,because it is distorted by man,hard evidence= Bible and faith and the heart when we read His word is 100% truth.

When one does not have faith in God or is a non-believer he relies on other mediums as aforementioned which are of man,I don't put my trust in man ,my only hope is in my Saviour Jesus Christ.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-29-2008, 01:11 PM
 
1,360 posts, read 1,864,859 times
Reputation: 760
Quote:
Originally Posted by noland123 View Post
Science and logic are not 100% full-proof ,because it is distorted by man,hard evidence= Bible and faith and the heart when we read His word is 100% truth.

When one does not have faith in God or is a non-believer he relies on other mediums as aforementioned which are of man,I don't put my trust in man ,my only hope is in my Saviour Jesus Christ.
That's interesting, since Jesus was a man and men wrote the Bible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-29-2008, 01:14 PM
 
7,780 posts, read 12,998,629 times
Reputation: 3434
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuSuSushi View Post
First off, you know very well you're not my friend.
I don't know that at all. I know how I feel about you and certainly would consider you a friend in the online forum sense of the word. How you feel about me I can not speak to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuSuSushi View Post
Secondly, I reiterate -- it takes no faith to disbelieve in something that has no evidence to support its existence.
Fine...I just disagree, that's all. I think it does take faith to think there is no god. Do you consider yourself atheist or agnostic? You said atheism takes no faith...that's what I disagree with. Agnosticism probably doesn't take faith, since it's more of a fence-sitter position.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuSuSushi View Post
Do you have faith that Santa doesn't exist, or do you simply acknowledge the fact that he's a fairy tale? And for once, leave aside your standard disingenuity if at all possible.
No, I KNOW Santa doesn't exist....but Santa and God are apples and oranges. (How am I disingenuous?)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top