U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
Old 04-23-2010, 05:18 PM
 
Location: Massatucky
915 posts, read 957,935 times
Reputation: 905

Advertisements

In which language did god write the bible? Hebrew?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-23-2010, 05:26 PM
 
Location: Massatucky
915 posts, read 957,935 times
Reputation: 905
The fact that there may be historical accuracy in some of the events of man's oral history finally embellished by the bible, it in no way confirms the existence of god by the mere fact it confirms great floods (Noah) or the presence and exploits of the Jewish kings etc. Ann good book that people will read blends reality, fantasy, spirituality and terror as well the spectrum of human experience and emotion. And the bible is largely pre-science and offered the masses plausible (but mostly wrong) explanations for things we now understand. Man wrote the bible, of course. Likely some Jewish men at that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-23-2010, 05:53 PM
 
Location: 30-40N 90-100W
13,856 posts, read 14,063,203 times
Reputation: 6468
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
I must confess that I do have to pop another blood pressure pill when I see some names coming up. It amazes me how they insult us, then when we retaliate, they accuse us of being insulting!!
The "playing the victim" thing again. Let's look at some titles of threads shall we?

God belief should die off around the time Santa Claus does

A common religious coercion tactic: trade your real life for a better afterlife

Moral Relativism Part And Parcel Of Christianity

Understanding God from a human-lie perspective

The Story of Adam & Eve is Immoral

God resembles a corrupt politician or even a dictator

There are Christian threads with similarly aggressive titles, but atheists here give as good as they get or give more than they get. Online at least you're not sympathetic victims of oh-so mean Christians. You and Evangelicals are both proselytizing forces bent on converting people to what you deem is the Truth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-24-2010, 12:33 AM
 
Location: Valencia, Spain
7,884 posts, read 4,779,598 times
Reputation: 1527
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post

There are Christian threads with similarly aggressive titles, but atheists here give as good as they get or give more than they get. Online at least you're not sympathetic victims of oh-so mean Christians. You and Evangelicals are both proselytizing forces bent on converting people to what you deem is the Truth.
Yes, I accept your point old chap. My post could have been worded better. I was actually referring to one particular poster but thought it might be construed as a personal attack on that poster if I'd said "he" so I generalised...which I shouldn't have done. Point taken.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-24-2010, 01:10 PM
 
7,654 posts, read 6,658,286 times
Reputation: 483
Quote:
Originally Posted by suburban_boy View Post
On a normal basis, most people think logically and with common sense. However, when it comes to religion, logic and common sense is completely thrown out the window. We are taught in school, not only to read a book, but to dissect it. We are taught to check the story's background as well as the arthor's background including his or her sources. More importantly, we are encouraged to ask questions when things don't make sense. When we write papers, in order to prove our points, we must have credible sources.

However, when Sunday comes (or the Sabbath) we must throw all that away and believe whatever the Priest, Pastor, Reverend, Imam or Rabbi tells us. Don't that seems kind of backwards?

If I was to show you a book and told you that this is the infallible word of god, would you believe me? The first thing you would say is, "Proove it!!".


Well historical discovery, and the prophecies of the Bible proves it's reality all the time. Yet few out there consider such. I never believed the Bible only because someone told me it was all true. I did the research myself. I also encountered the true Author of the Bible, and His adversaries. What some believe as Bible myths. I have experienced myself first hand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-24-2010, 01:30 PM
 
Location: Valencia, Spain
7,884 posts, read 4,779,598 times
Reputation: 1527
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campbell34 View Post
Well historical discovery, and the prophecies of the Bible proves it's reality all the time.
But you can't have it both ways Campbell. You can't keep screaming that scientific dating method are humbug when they provide evidence that the Bible is wrong and then embrace those same scientific dating methods when you think that they show the Bible to be correct.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-24-2010, 02:10 PM
 
7,654 posts, read 6,658,286 times
Reputation: 483
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
But you can't have it both ways Campbell. You can't keep screaming that scientific dating method are humbug when they provide evidence that the Bible is wrong and then embrace those same scientific dating methods when you think that they show the Bible to be correct.
Carbon 14 is considered the most accurate, and iis the most used for recent dates. The other dating methods become far more problematic, and that is because it requires a belief in greater assumptions that cannot be confirmed. Radiocarbon dating is the most accurate, most studied, most verified of all the radiometric dating. And that is why I accept it. Yet even some of those recent dates must be questioned. Yet, we are still in the thousands of year range, which leads us to a narrow window of error. Once we start talking about millions of years, well of course, that window of error is much wider

CARBON DATING OF FOSSILS
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-24-2010, 02:40 PM
 
Location: Valencia, Spain
7,884 posts, read 4,779,598 times
Reputation: 1527
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campbell34 View Post
Carbon 14 is considered the most accurate, and iis the most used for recent dates. The other dating methods become far more problematic, and that is because it requires a belief in greater assumptions that cannot be confirmed. Radiocarbon dating is the most accurate, most studied, most verified of all the radiometric dating. And that is why I accept it. Yet even some of those recent dates must be questioned. Yet, we are still in the thousands of year range, which leads us to a narrow window of error. Once we start talking about millions of years, well of course, that window of error is much wider

CARBON DATING OF FOSSILS
Do you consider C14 to be accurate?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-24-2010, 03:39 PM
 
Location: 30-40N 90-100W
13,856 posts, read 14,063,203 times
Reputation: 6468
Good question. Accepting carbon dating, even in a cautious way, would seem to mean accepting a world over 50,000 years old and I wasn't sure Campbell even went that far.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-24-2010, 03:46 PM
 
7,654 posts, read 6,658,286 times
Reputation: 483
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
Do you consider C14 to be accurate?
I believe it may be accurate to five or ten thousands years. Others believe it is accurate to 30,000 years. And others, to 80,000 years or more. Yet the more you expand on the dates, often the more assumptions you must be willing to make. I tend to be more conserative. If a sample died off 50,000 years ago. There should be no carbon left in such a sample. So I would question such an age, based on what should not be there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top