U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 12-31-2008, 11:49 PM

7,654 posts, read 6,641,117 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predos View Post
Same way that humans make history palatable - creative editting.
What part did non believers have in creative editting the prophecy of Jerusalems East Gate? Considering the prophecy was written 1,000 years before the non believers fulfilled it. Your conclusion makes little sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2009, 08:57 AM

8,537 posts, read 4,016,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campbell34 View Post
What part did non believers have in creative editting the prophecy of Jerusalems East Gate? Considering the prophecy was written 1,000 years before the non believers fulfilled it. Your conclusion makes little sense.
And you know for a fact that there is no possibility of any editting or intrepretation of this story? You have read the story in the original language and from the original text?

BTW, you should learn to comprehend what you read and not add to it. I never said anything about non believers, merely referenced the dishonesty of those who claim fulfillment of bible predictions well after the fact and claim pre-knowledge.

Old 01-01-2009, 09:21 AM

Quote:
And you know for a fact that there is no possibility of any editting or intrepretation of this story? You have read the story in the original language and from the original text?

BTW, you should learn to comprehend what you read and not add to it. I never said anything about non believers, merely referenced the dishonesty of those who claim fulfillment of bible predictions well after the fact and claim pre-knowledge.
All various translations reveal that the context of the meaning does not vary. There is no way you can wiggle out of the clear meaning. I'm sure you would like that to happen, because you could find comfort in the Bible being incorrect. Yet this is not going to happen.

Old 01-01-2009, 09:40 AM

8,537 posts, read 4,016,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campbell34 View Post
All various translations reveal that the context of the meaning does not vary. There is no way you can wiggle out of the clear meaning. I'm sure you would like that to happen, because you could find comfort in the Bible being incorrect. Yet this is not going to happen.
I note that you admit to not reading the originals, which of course leads to the possibility or error. Of course the original was an oral tradition written down later and translated various times. No possibility of change there, could there be?

Translations, eh? Not the original? And you can guarantee the accuracy of these translations of oral tradition?

The context does not vary? Does this mean that someone who started to write down the story, controlling the intrepration of it, decided on the story? Or did they try to make history fit the prediction?

I am sure that you would like all of these questions to support you, as you obviously haven't done any research other than your bible. The clear meaning is that you choose to believe this book. I choose not to believe it any more than the truth of the Lord of the Rings series (which has just as much verifiable truth to it).

Old 01-01-2009, 10:48 AM

1,887 posts, read 2,112,546 times
The problem I have when talking to those whom only believe the bible, is they only want to use their yard stick. When you introduce other holy books, "these are not valid because I don't believe them" is their reason, but, they expect you to believe their book. You can not use a book to prove your claim if those your trying to enlighten does not believe in the validity of your book. You must find common ground and then build on it. You can not pound the bible into ones head and expect them to believe no more than you can do the same thing with the koran.

Old 01-01-2009, 07:16 PM

1,008 posts, read 748,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deguire View Post
How do you deal with the circular argument presented by believers completely ignoring the idea of empirical evidence?
I just point out that they're trying to prove their argument by using a book that supports their argument by virtue of its very design.

It's kind of like using the existance of water to prove that water is wet.

Old 01-01-2009, 09:02 PM

Quote:
I note that you admit to not reading the originals, which of course leads to the possibility or error. Of course the original was an oral tradition written down later and translated various times. No possibility of change there, could there be?

Translations, eh? Not the original? And you can guarantee the accuracy of these translations of oral tradition?

The context does not vary? Does this mean that someone who started to write down the story, controlling the intrepration of it, decided on the story? Or did they try to make history fit the prediction?

I am sure that you would like all of these questions to support you, as you obviously haven't done any research other than your bible. The clear meaning is that you choose to believe this book. I choose not to believe it any more than the truth of the Lord of the Rings series (which has just as much verifiable truth to it).
For the sake of arguement, let us just say you are right. That the translation was incorrect. Yet, this would still not explain how (ALL) the details of Jerusalem's East Gate prophecy were fulfilled by (non believers) in the Bible. So from where I'm standing, you choose not to believe the Bible, even though it's prophecies are factual, and true.

Old 01-01-2009, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terryj View Post
The problem I have when talking to those whom only believe the bible, is they only want to use their yard stick. When you introduce other holy books, "these are not valid because I don't believe them" is their reason, but, they expect you to believe their book. You can not use a book to prove your claim if those your trying to enlighten does not believe in the validity of your book. You must find common ground and then build on it. You can not pound the bible into ones head and expect them to believe no more than you can do the same thing with the koran.
The only reason I believe the Bible, is because it's prophecies are true. Can you show me another Book that has prophecies of truth that equals that of the Bible? Only God knows the future, so His Book would have to stand out from other books.

Old 01-02-2009, 02:21 AM

24,979 posts, read 18,565,704 times
Here is a list of 207 prophesies the bible got wrong...How many can you give that it got right?

Prophecies in the Bible

Old 01-02-2009, 02:29 AM

4 posts, read 5,298 times
Many things in the Bible have been labeled as rubbish by historians. Doesn't anyone watch the Discovery or History channels? Check out the eposide about Noah's Ark (more biblical hogwash). Even the Bible is full of contradictions (if you actually bothered to read it).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality