U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2008, 01:04 PM

1,365 posts, read 1,927,829 times

Advertisements

Not that this is possible but hypothetically, what do you think would happen if the following social experiment was performed.

Take 300 new born children and split them up 100,100,100 between 3 separate isolated islands.

On Island A, no mention of God is ever taught to the children. Everything they know from their childhood to the end of their schooling is how modern science would have us perceive the world.

On Island B, the children are taught about the different religions and about modern science but are left to draw their own conclusions on the world.

On Island C, the children are not taught any form of modern science. Instead they are divided and taught various religions, Christianity, Judaism, Islam, whatever.

What do you think would happen on these islands? Which do you believe to be the most successful, peaceful society and why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2008, 01:16 PM

2,486 posts, read 2,259,036 times
I really think peaceful/evil, smart/stupid parts of society would be mixed into everyone.

On Island C there would still be evilness, and still be a few smart kids trying to figure out the world as scientist. (just too bad they would be stuck at step one where they think the world is a giant turtle)

On Island A there would still be Peaceful and loving kids, and still be stupid kids that could be used for a science experiment of testing it by jumping off a 500 foot cliff.

Religion doesn't keep humanity peaceful. I am not religious, but try to be kind to everybody.

Old 12-31-2008, 01:17 PM

521 posts, read 790,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbird82 View Post
Not that this is possible but hypothetically, what do you think would happen if the following social experiment was performed.

Take 300 new born children and split them up 100,100,100 between 3 separate isolated islands.

On Island A, no mention of God is ever taught to the children. Everything they know from their childhood to the end of their schooling is how modern science would have us perceive the world.

On Island B, the children are taught about the different religions and about modern science but are left to draw their own conclusions on the world.

On Island C, the children are not taught any form of modern science. Instead they are divided and taught various religions, Christianity, Judaism, Islam, whatever.

What do you think would happen on these islands? Which do you believe to be the most successful, peaceful society and why?
Islands A and B become property of C due to Manifest Destiny.

Old 12-31-2008, 01:20 PM

10,494 posts, read 10,067,507 times
Well lets see, those on Island A, with their science and technology, would come up with some kind of weapon and pointed to Island C and annihilate everybody on Island C, at which point the God of Island C would then annihilate everybody on Island A, and everybody on Island B would then spread out and take over Islands A and C and live happily ever after in peace...........how's that.

Last edited by ptsum; 12-31-2008 at 01:30 PM..

Old 12-31-2008, 01:26 PM

3,412 posts, read 9,024,950 times
Island C will be in total shock to find out about Island A&B's live styles, it is never going to be good enough to the C's, they would be very inclined to visit both islands in order to "teach them" a lesson on "how to live".

That is how war starts....

Old 12-31-2008, 02:41 PM

1,365 posts, read 1,927,829 times
I like the responses, though I was trying to go a different way with this. I was looking more towards inward conflict on each island with the 3 islands knowing nothing of each other. I agree each island is likely to have its bad apples, but what would the degree of conflict be on each.

Theoretically, I believe Island A should have the least amount of conflict since there is only one unified belief taught. However, I can see the religious perspective of, can a moral code be established without religion. There might even be some people on Island A who feel like there is something more to life than what we see and come to establish what we would call God.

Island C will be much like our society was for most of its history.

Island B is where I would like to be as it gives us the most free will. I'm sure the people would be divided among whether to accept science or religion.

Old 12-31-2008, 03:08 PM

4,248 posts, read 5,315,131 times
I agree that Island B is the place to be because that is how I raise my child so naturally I think it is the best way to live. Although, even when you are free to choose this can result in people dividing themselves into groups of what they believe. Much like any western country in the world today.

The scientific community on Island A would need to establish some code of ethics, I don't think that you would necessarily have to have religion to create that, just a sense of humanity.

I think that Island C would have more conflict because the nature of religion is such that it cannot accept that someone else might be right because that in effect makes them wrong. A breeding ground for conflict. If they were one religion alone, that might be more peaceful.

I think that any community will find a way to segregate and divide themselves and end up in conflict...such is the nature of the human race.

Old 12-31-2008, 03:50 PM

7,916 posts, read 16,394,895 times
I agree with the conclusions of Lady Ice, I think children should be allowed to learn about everything, including religion, and make their own decisions. I also think that due to human nature there would be conflicts on all three islands and excluding the teaching of the existence of God on island A would not reduce violence or social upheaval, they'd just find something else to fight about besides religion.

Old 12-31-2008, 07:59 PM

414 posts, read 695,201 times
Smile In full agreement with ...

... a fully institutionalized American god ....

In token of affection Steer Forth!

The last time the word spoken was, however, "Let there be light!"

Last edited by lwowl; 12-31-2008 at 08:03 PM.. Reason: MPS, self-diagnosed

Old 01-02-2009, 06:56 AM

971 posts, read 1,502,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbird82 View Post
On island A, I don't expect to see any religion at all appearing spontaneously. With proper education, people have no need to invent an explanation to lightning - or to the apparition of human beings.
I would expect the society to be more peaceful than ours, since everybody would have a higher level of education and that can be linked to a lower crime rate. I would still, however, expect people to lie, cheat, steal a bit, kill each other for love, money or a disagreement over football, do drugs... Humans will always be humans .

On island B, I suppose it very much depends on how much religion is given to the children. If the parents are fundies, the children are much more likely to turn fundie themselves.
I would still expect the average religious level of the children to be lower than their parents'. After all, atheism is correlated with education level. How many creationists really know about evolution?
Therefore, if the experiment lasted for many generations, I would expect the society to eventually become similar to that of island A - with perhaps a few fundies taking their children out of the schools and starting a small religious community on an isolated part of the island .

On island C? Depends on how isolated the children are from those with another religion. If they go to the same schools, eat together etc., I would expect little else than loud disagreements over the dinner table. Now, separate them, and you have the recipe for a holy war. After all, the Old Testament is all about killing those who worship "false deities".
I would also expect violence and crime level reminiscent of the middle ages. Modern science - and atheism - would take as much time to develop as in the real world: centuries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality