Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2009, 08:46 PM

783 posts, read 1,326,110 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbird82 View Post
Also, these passages below are just a few of the reasons why I can't accept the bible to be true.
You reject the truth of the Bible because Hebraic poetry doesn’t correlate with scientific theory? I would guess that you have a misunderstanding of at least one if not both Scripture and science.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2009, 08:46 PM

2,255 posts, read 5,396,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macrina View Post
Well, Friend, I think this is an egregious overstatement and entirely just inaccurate and untrue.

As I said in my previous comment, I'm not a fundy or an evangelical, but I do know enough about what these men teach to know this just isn't true.

In fact yours is rather an inflammatory statement. I hope you retract it.

At the same time I will say I also would not want any of those men you listed to be in charge of running this Republic.

But this is a topic for another thread.
There's an entire history of religious abuse on every form of religious front that tells me they would run the anyway but a true Theocracy (Government by God) It would still just be a government by ambitious men in charge. Those who'd disagree with them would be dealt with harshly. They don't even believe in the own Lord and Savior's commands to stay separate from the world, that his Kingdom (Government) is not from this world. They do exactly the opposite. Look up all of their political stances on various subjects and you'll know what I mean.

Sorry, but it was not an exageration.

Old 01-03-2009, 08:55 PM

1,384 posts, read 2,345,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salt & Light View Post
You reject the truth of the Bible because Hebraic poetry doesn’t correlate with scientific theory? I would guess that you have a misunderstanding of at least one if not both Scripture and science.

No, this is not why I reject the Bible. I reject the Bible because of deductive reasoning and critical thinking. But if you're going to insult my intelligence because I don't agree with your viewpoint then explain to me why this Hebraic poetry doesn't correlate with scientific theory. If the Bible is all that is true, then why don't they tie out? Just like a religious person to throw insults...hypocrites as usual.

Old 01-03-2009, 08:57 PM

2,255 posts, read 5,396,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
You are confusing me...Of another thread you said that you are not in favour of secular government, yet here you say you are not in favor of a religious government. What would you favour? A monarchy or dictatorship?
I asked you to define what you thought a Theocracy was. It was pretty much what I expected. The so-called example theocracies that the world of mankind has thus far experienced have been anything but a true theocracy (Government by God). I don't think either of us would want a Christendom Taliban and you know that is what we'd get if indeed, they had absolute power and authority to do as they pleased. Their version is Government by Clergyman. How spooky would that be ???

True goverment by God would'nt have politicians. Keep in mind that the majority of Christian Fundamentalism is about their version of Democracy, NOT Theocracy.

The subject however is for another thread.

Old 01-03-2009, 09:04 PM

Quote:
No, this is not why I reject the Bible. I reject the Bible because of deductive reasoning and critical thinking. But if you're going to insult my intelligence because I don't agree with your viewpoint then explain to me why this Hebraic poetry doesn't correlate with scientific theory. If the Bible is all that is true, then why don't they tie out? Just like a religious person to throw insults...hypocrites as usual.
I’m sorry if you feel insulted. I was simply pointing out the irony of rejecting the Bible because you look for scientific explanation within poetry. I don’t know many scientists who use poetry to support their thesis.

Old 01-03-2009, 09:08 PM

Quote:
I’m sorry if you feel insulted. I was simply pointing out the irony of rejecting the Bible because you look for scientific explanation within poetry. I don’t know many scientists who use poetry to support their thesis.

You're absolutely right...the Bible is nothing more than a book of poetry. We're in agreement then that it has no place in our schools.

Old 01-03-2009, 09:22 PM

Quote:
You're absolutely right...the Bible is nothing more than a book of poetry. We're in agreement then that it has no place in our schools.
No my friend there is far more than just poetry in the Bible. You cited Scripture that was primarily poetry as the basis of your disbelief. This isn’t a very reliable method of “deductive reasoning and critical thinking” to arrive at a conclusion, in my view.

Old 01-03-2009, 09:51 PM

Quote:
No my friend there is far more than just poetry in the Bible. You cited Scripture that was primarily poetry as the basis of your disbelief. This isn’t a very reliable method of “deductive reasoning and critical thinking” to arrive at a conclusion, in my view.
So now I'm confused. Christians say the Bible is the word of God dictated to man and is all that is true. Yet, you're saying what I cited from the Scripture is not valid. If the Bible is all that is true then it shouldn't contradict what science understands to be true.

Regardless, I only cited the Scripture in response to my debate with MrsMtnsOnTheMind. She(he?) wanted to know why I couldn't accept the Bible as truth...you made my point for me. The Bible only plays a small part in my non-belief in religion.

I was raised a Catholic and this past year finally accepted that I'm agnostic. I'm willing to accept there could be something else...even if it's just a spiritual world but truly believe there is no proof either way. I believe religion and God as we know it on Earth is a man-made concept which was used to define and explain the ancient world to primitive society.

Old 01-03-2009, 09:57 PM

63,778 posts, read 40,038,426 times
Quote:
So now I'm confused. Christians say the Bible is the word of God dictated to man and is all that is true. Yet, you're saying what I cited from the Scripture is not valid. If the Bible is all that is true then it shouldn't contradict what science understands to be true.
Correction . . . it is the inspired (NOT dictated) word of God interpreted and recorded by primitive minds using primitive concepts because their knowledge would not accord them any other options. It should not contradict what we have learned . . . therefore that becomes the lever to extract what it could spiritually refer to that wouldn't contradict our science.

Old 01-03-2009, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Correction . . . it is the inspired (NOT dictated) word of God interpreted and recorded by primitive minds using primitive concepts because their knowledge would not accord them any other options. It should not contradict what we have learned . . . therefore that becomes the lever to extract what it could spiritually refer to that wouldn't contradict our science.
Fair enough point...so then can an assumption be made that man may have misinterpreted God's word in some instances?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality