Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2009, 04:38 PM

1,113 posts, read 2,514,778 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSTroop View Post
I understand that. All I'm saying is that the tensions over there are always portrayed as coming strictly from the Muslim side rather than both sides. Both sides have done their fair share in not helping the situation over the years. This is not the first time a cease-fire agreement has been broken and I'm quite certain that I remember a few years ago when Israel just liquified some Palestinian buildings (in the middle of a ceasefire) for no real good reason. This is not the first time a ceasefire has been broken. Both parties are just as guilty in the past. We shouldn't be so one-sided in how we approach this thing. That's precisely why the Muslim world began to hate us. Just a thought.

Edit: Here are a few links to what I'm talking about. And, no, I'm not trying to pick on Israel or take sides with Hamas - I'm just saying that both sides are really way out of line and that we as a nation should not be so adamant to back up Israel with every thing they do. And upon further research, you'll notice that there is a widespread argument every time something flares up on who actually breached the ceasefire.

From Occupied Palestine, With Love: Israel Breaches Gaza Ceasefire: Invades, Kills 7, Seizes Many

BBC NEWS | Middle East | Beirut fury at 'ceasefire breach'

Palestinians call Israeli airstrike a cease-fire breach - Los Angeles Times

Israel Breaches Alleged Ceasefire 96 Times: Palestinian Official

http://occupiedlove.blogspot.com/200...e-invades.html (broken link)
This one is a blog and subject to one person’s opinion.

BBC NEWS | Middle East | Beirut fury at 'ceasefire breach'
This one says: Israel said it was trying to disrupt the movement of weapons from Iran and Syria to Hezbollah, and insisted the ceasefire was still intact. "We had specific information of arms transfers taking place and we acted to prevent that violation, so that violation is not from the Israeli side - we were responding to a violation of the resolution by Hezbollah," said Israeli spokesman Mark Regev. Israel has said it will continue to carry out such actions until an expanded international military force is in place to prevent Hezbollah's rearmament.

Palestinians call Israeli airstrike a cease-fire breach - Los Angeles Times
This one says: Palestinian witnesses of Saturday’s 90-minute battle said the Israeli helicopter fired at least four missiles between the border fence and the Jabaliya refugee camp in the northern Gaza Strip, wounding three armed Palestinians. One of them, Fuad Marouf, 22, of the Democratic Front for the Liberation of Palestine, was killed. That group and Islamic Jihad, operating together, said they had been firing rocket-propelled grenades and automatic weapons at the Israeli special forces and setting off explosives along the fence…….militant groups in Gaza, including Hamas, which shares power in the Palestinian Authority government, have been exploiting the cease-fire to smuggle explosives, missiles and other weapons into Gaza through tunnels from Egypt.

http://english.peopledaily.com.cn/en...528_71205.html
None of their links work. Just a four paragraph biased article claiming that a Gaza Major says that Israel violated the ceasefire. Not a very reliable source.

The only reason Hamas agrees to any and all ceasefires is simply to rearm and regroup.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2009, 04:38 PM

225 posts, read 341,541 times
Israel does not have to engage in low tech attacks against anyone. They systematically oppress the Palestinians, dictating when and where they can travel, where they can live, and how much water they can draw for agriculture and consumption. So when the Palestinians launch homemade rockets into Israel, it is an act of desperation. Forcing the Palestinians to such lengths serves Israel's purpose handily. Ask yourself what sort of life you would have to be leading to think such an asymmetric battle would be desirable. Let me make it clear that I do not support the Palestinians or Israel, but anyone who thinks Israel is some sort of peaceful nation being oppressed by the Palestinians, I think, is misguided. I don't think there is any cure for the situation there, but I would love to see the $billions of annual US aid cease.

Old 01-03-2009, 04:39 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,596,768 times
Troop wrote:
Quote:
It's kind of the same problem that we had in Iraq when groups of soldiers raped that young Iraqi girl. That wasn't at the behest of the American military, it was a group of people acting individually and on their own. Yet, everyone in the region viewed it as an act of American imperialism. What I'm getting at is that both sides have dissident groups that re-ignite these feuds and yet our media almost always portrays Hamas (or Hezbollah) as the group that started it.
Considering your experience in the military I have no doubt you know what you're talking about. The problem that seems to perpetuate the violence in the Middle East and elsewhere is that when a family member is killed or injured due to military or terrorist violence then every person who knows the victim wants revenge. A peaceful shopkeeper who has lost a child or had his home or business destroyed can't be expected to go on living as though nothing had happened. Violence creates more violence and the cycle perpetuates itself.

Old 01-03-2009, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heracles View Post
Israel does not have to engage in low tech attacks against anyone. They systematically oppress the Palestinians, dictating when and where they can travel, where they can live, and how much water they can draw for agriculture and consumption. So when the Palestinians launch homemade rockets into Israel, it is an act of desperation. Forcing the Palestinians to such lengths serves Israel's purpose handily. Ask yourself what sort of life you would have to be leading to think such an asymmetric battle would be desirable. Let me make it clear that I do not support the Palestinians or Israel, but anyone who thinks Israel is some sort of peaceful nation being oppressed by the Palestinians, I think, is misguided. I don't think there is any cure for the situation there, but I would love to see the $billions of annual US aid cease.
I think they have to because the Palestinians and their cohorts (Syrians & Egyptians) are helping them to stock pile weapons to be used at a later time. We don't let people in this country do that, so why should they?

Old 01-03-2009, 05:09 PM

225 posts, read 341,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsMtnsOnTheMind View Post
I think they have to because the Palestinians and their cohorts (Syrians & Egyptians) are helping them to stock pile weapons to be used at a later time. We don't let people in this country do that, so why should they?
Almost every discussion of Israel and the Palestinians quickly takes the viewpoint of Israel. I'm not going to come to the defense of the Palestinians but I certainly cannot defend Israel. Both sides are driven to horrible extremes by their religions, cultures, and simple issues like real estate. Any look at the history of the birth of Israel and continuing support by the US would shed light on why other nations in the region might not be crazy about it. If I were Palestinian, I imagine I would do the same things.

Old 01-03-2009, 06:22 PM

40,049 posts, read 34,528,878 times
Here's another question: why is this thread in the religion forum? What's going on in the Gaza area isn't religious; it's political. (Even Hamas has just enough sense of what we might call political correctness to use the word "Israelis" rather than "Jews.")

Old 01-03-2009, 06:29 PM

2,331 posts, read 2,833,839 times
But the Christians know two kinds of wickedness. The one that we make up god for eternal Consciousness (not according to the book of David), and the one for my own wait for the unsociable End: oh, this is sociable too. (this one's in the book, all about feeling good while I wait).

Old 01-03-2009, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
Here's another question: why is this thread in the religion forum? What's going on in the Gaza area isn't religious; it's political. (Even Hamas has just enough sense of what we might call political correctness to use the word "Israelis" rather than "Jews.")
It is a battle between religions. If they were both Arabs, we wouldn't be seeing a problem. When you have Arab nations banning together to remove Israel (a Jewish nation) from the map.....you have a religious war. Just like The Sixth Day War, was a religious war.
Attached Thumbnails
Israel vs. Hamas-idf-soldier.jpg  

Old 01-03-2009, 06:32 PM

2,331 posts, read 2,833,839 times
To me personally this one was more religious. That one, I believe in 1967, was all about the topic of knowing the meaning of a state nationalistically.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality