Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2009, 07:28 AM

414 posts, read 776,724 times

Advertisements

.... the eloquence and intrigue of thought still only being "fractional geometry" - Picasso would (from a subconscious mind??) paint it on canvas...
All great minds absorbed by thus created matter, or still with a chance to get "over it"?
No one missing links?

Last edited by lwowl; 01-04-2009 at 07:35 AM.. Reason: put "with it" somewhere.\!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2009, 08:50 AM

7,915 posts, read 18,619,641 times
MrsMtnsOnTheMind wrote:
Quote:
When Jerusalem was besieged because they disobeyed God and went after other gods, the Bible says that city was without food for along time and as a result, the women gave birth to their babies and ate them.
That's what I love about the Bible, it's so inspirational.

Old 01-04-2009, 12:54 PM

1,113 posts, read 2,519,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
MrsMtnsOnTheMind wrote:

That's what I love about the Bible, it's so inspirational.
No, it's truthful. What you want it to be a bunch of bedtime stories?

Old 01-04-2009, 01:59 PM

3,412 posts, read 10,168,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsMtnsOnTheMind View Post

Old 01-04-2009, 02:47 PM

MrsMtnsOnTheMind wrote:
Quote:
So you believe in a God who was so jealous of humans who believed in others gods that he punished them with famine until pregnant women resorted to cannibalism on their own babies? I don't believe that's truthful, I believe it's the crudest kind of scare tactic that the author of that particular passage could come up with to terrorize people into believing that God is real and they'd better behave.

Old 01-04-2009, 03:42 PM

23,170 posts, read 26,182,686 times
The bible can be seen as useful for some dietary issues of the time.
To not eat pork (cloven hooves) was a good way to prevent illness...the same with cross contamination with dairy products.
It could be said that this was a way to communicate that babies would be the more tender choice.
(OK...go ahead.....slap me
On topic....I have to join the "I don't know what I'd do" crowd but can't see how partaking of the already deceased can be held as wrong.....horrible to have to resorrt to,yes, but not wrong per se.

Old 01-04-2009, 04:35 PM

7,995 posts, read 12,270,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roxolan View Post

Of course, when it is a reality and not a hypothetical question, our answer might be different...

June can't help but wonder at what point in the process of physical starvation (along with fear of one's own demise) does the cognitive processes of reason and logic begin to subside? At what point is the brain simply no longer capable of full mental functioning and rational thought process and choice?

What is interesting to June more than who "would" or "would not" are the reasons behind why one would/wouldn't. Because this much June is pretty willing to guess: When faced with one's certain, impending death, much of that which we know of as being "cultural taboo" would seemingly be absent. "Death" as such, has no culture, no taboo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShepsMom View Post

To me, i probably would rather have a company of that human instead of killing him/her (given there are only 2 of us)

This was exactly June's first impulse/thought. June does not doubt that she would rather have the company of just one other person with her, as their presence and their life would somehow seem the stronger connection that would sustain her.

However:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post

Don't forget that some would choose to be a sacrifice, especially if they knew they could not survive but might help others who might. How does this change the question, if the one being eaten was already at peace with the outcome?

-Which is a really interesting and valid question. If June is remembering the Ande's plane crash documentary correctly, weren't there members of the soccer team who instructed the others that should they be the next to die, that they wanted their friends/team mates to consume them in an attempt at remaining alive? Something in June's mind can't help but wonder: How would one react to knowing that their loved one's last thought and wish had been to save you, even if it meant suspending such cultural taboo?

If June found herself stranded on the side of a mountain in the Andes alone with the one person she loved in all the world, who looked her in the eyes, told her he loved her more than life itself, and to consume him after he was gone in the hope that perhaps she may live long enough to be found and rescued, and June didn't, she wonders how she would feel; how that would impact her. Whether she had somehow "betrayed" the beloved and their last wish. As well, June also can't help but wonder whether or not there wouldn't be something about the act of cannabilism which, (at that point, in being in some physiologically, mentally impaired state) would not somehow serve the purpose of "keeping you with me" via the act of cannibalism.

Given the choice, June would rather drift off to her demise in the arms of her beloved on the side of that mountain, and she is greatly horrified to even imagine what any of us as human beings are capable of doing when faced with that which is nearly unimaginable.

(As well as wondering: What is different about this OP, and the last chapter of "Grapes of Wrath?").....

Last edited by june 7th; 01-04-2009 at 07:11 PM..

Old 01-04-2009, 05:00 PM

3,412 posts, read 10,168,522 times
Hey, that brings another question, not to drift away from the original OP.... What about a Suicide?

2 left, hungry, not willing to kill each other, but agreeing on committing a suicide in order to avoid suffering due to hunger, or else unknown. ?

Old 01-04-2009, 05:07 PM

ShepsMom wrote:
Quote:
Hey, that brings another question, not to drift away from the original OP.... What about a Suicide?

2 left, hungry, not willing to kill each other, but agreeing on committing a suicide in order to avoid suffering due to hunger, or else unknown. ?
That's an uplifting thought. Somehow the thought of a MTguy casserole doesn't sound very appealing.

Old 01-04-2009, 05:15 PM

1,113 posts, read 2,519,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
MrsMtnsOnTheMind wrote:

So you believe in a God who was so jealous of humans who believed in others gods that he punished them with famine until pregnant women resorted to cannibalism on their own babies? I don't believe that's truthful, I believe it's the crudest kind of scare tactic that the author of that particular passage could come up with to terrorize people into believing that God is real and they'd better behave.
No, they pretty much did it to them selves. Had they been obedient, he would have saved them. Because they were not, he left them to themselves. What do you expect? Would you help someone that was robbing your home and violating your family?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality