Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2009, 10:44 PM

2,529 posts, read 4,335,077 times

Advertisements

""The Qur’aan is the greatest and last of the heavenly Books, and it abrogates the books which came before it and is a witness over them, so we must follow it and ignore those which came before it:

“And We have sent down to you (O Muhammad) the Book (this Qur’aan) in truth, confirming the Scripture that came before it and Mohaymin (trustworthy in highness and a witness) over it (old Scriptures). So judge among them by what Allaah has revealed”[al-Maa’idah 5:48 – interpretation of the meaning]""

Moonsun said the above in another thread. He/she believes the Quran has replaced the Bible, and that the Quran confirms the Bible. Let's take a look at its confirmation...

1. Muslims believe the Torah and Gospels are from God. Yet, they claim Jesus was not crucified.
Gospels teach Jesus was crucified.
"They (the Jews) said (in boast), 'We killed Christ Jesus the son of Mary, the Apostle of Allah', - but they killed him not, nor crucified him, but so it was made to appear to them ... " (Sura 4:157).

Luke 23:46...And when JESUS had cried with a loud voice, He said, "Father, into thy hands I commend my Spirit"; and having said thus, He gave up the ghost.

2. Quran says one of Noah's sons drowned in the flood. God said Noah's sons would be saved.
And it moved on with them into waves that were like mountains. At that [moment] Noah cried out to a son of his, who had kept himself aloof [from the others]: "O my dear son! Embark with us, and remain not with those who deny the truth!"[But the son] answered: "I shall betake myself to a mountain that will protect me from the waters." Said [Noah]: "Today there is no protection [for anyone] from God's judgment, save [for] those who have earned [His] mercy!" And a wave rose up between them, and [the son] was among those who were drowned. (Sura 11:42-43)

Genesis 6:18...But with thee will I establish my covenant: and thou shalt come into the ark, thou, and they sons, and thy wife, and they sons' wives with thee.

3. Quran says Abraham's father was Azar. God said Abraham's father was Terah.
AND, LO, [thus] spoke Abraham unto his father Azar: "Takest thou idols for gods? Verily, I see that thou and thy people have obviously gone astray!" (Sura 6:74)

Genesis 11:27...Now these are the generations of Terah: Terah begat Abram, Nahor, and Haran: and Haran begat Lot.

Perhaps Muhammad confused Abraham's servant Eliezar (Gen 15:2) for his father Azar?

4. Quran says that Moses was adopted by Pharoah's wife. God said he was adopted by Pharoah's daughter.
Now the wife of Pharaoh said: “A joy to the eye [could this child be] for me and thee! Slay him not: he may well be of use to us, or we may adopt him as a son!” And they had no presentiment [of what he was to become]. (Sura 28:9)

Exodus 2:10...And the child grew, and she brought him unto Pharoah's DAUGHTER, and he became her son. And she called his name Moses; and she said, because I drew him out of water.

5. Quran teaches Moses was given Zipporah as his wife, after 8-10 years of service. God never mentions such a thing.
NOW WHEN he arrived at the wells of Madyan, he found there a large group of men who were watering [their herds and flocks]; and at some distance from them he came upon two women who were keeping back their flock. He asked [them]: “What is the matter with you?” They answered: “We cannot water [our animals] until the herdsmen drive [theirs] home - for [we are weak and] our father is a very old man.” So he watered [their flock] for them: and when he withdrew into the shade and prayed: “O my Sus*tainer! Verily, in dire need am I of any good which Thou mayest bestow upon me!”
[Shortly] afterwards, one of the two [maidens] approached him, walking shyly, and said: “Behold, my father invites thee, so that he might duly reward thee for thy having watered [our flock] for us.” And as soon as [Moses] came unto him and told him the story [of his life], he said: “Have no fear! Thou art now safe from those evildoing folk!” Said one of the two [daughters]: “O my father! Hire him: for, behold, the best [man] that thou couldst hire is one who is [as] strong and worthy of trust [as he]!” [After some time, the father] said: “Behold, I am willing to let thee wed one of these two daughters of mine on the understanding that thou wilt remain eight years in my service; and if thou shouldst com*plete ten [years], that would be [an act of grace] from thee, for I do not want to impose any hardship on thee: [on the contrary,] thou wilt find me, if God so wills, righteous in all my dealings.” Answered [Moses]: “Thus shall it be between me and thee! Whichever of the two terms I fulfill, let there be no ill will against me. And God be witness to all that we say!” (Sura 28:22-28)

Exodus 2:16-21...
Now the priest of Midian had seven daughters: and they came and drew water, and filled the troughs to water their father's flock. And the shepherds came and drove them away: but Moses stood up and helped them, and watered their flock.And when they came to Reuel their father, he said, How is it that ye are come so soon to day? And they said, An Egyptian delivered us out of the hand of the shepherds, and also drew water enough for us, and watered the flock. And he said unto his daughters, And where is he? why is it that ye have left the man? call him, that he may eat bread. And Moses was content to dwell with the man: and he gave Moses Zipporah his daughter.

Perhaps Muhammad confused this story, with the story of Jacob and Rachel, where Jacob pledges to serve Laban for 7 years for her?

6. Quran says Pharoah had a servant named "Haman" who was ordered to build a "tower of babel" of sorts.
Whereupon Pharaoh said: “O you nobles! I did not know that you could have any deity other than myself Well, then, O Haman, kindle me a fire for [baking bricks of] clay, and then build me a lofty tower, that haply I may have a look at the god of Moses although, behold, I am convinced that he is of those who [always] tell lies!” (Sura 28:38) (Yusuf Ali translates it, lofty palace, while G. Sales, Palmer and Rodwell, and Arberry all use lofty tower.

Genesis 11:4...And they said, Go to, let us build us a city and a tower, whose top may reach unto heaven; and let us make us a name, lest we be scattered abroad upon the face of the whole earth. (About 750 years before Pharoah.)

Esther 3:1...After these things did king Ahasuerus promote Haman the son of Hammedatha the Agagite, and advanced him, and set his seat above all the princes that were with him. (About 1100 years after Pharoah.)

Perhaps, again, Muhammad confused the Bible, taking the "Tower of Babel" from Genesis and "Haman" from the book of Esther, and made up his own story. Maybe Yusuf Ali changed his word to "palace" instead of "tower", because he wanted to obscure the obvious similarities, which are embarrassing because they are historical misfits?

Quickly ( I can provide references later, but I'm sleepy and need to get to bed) here a couple more...

In Judges 7 we read how God made Gideon select his small army of 300 from 32,000 men, for a special task. In Sura 2:249 we read of a very similar event, but this time under King Saul, which is no where mentioned in the Bible. Perhaps another confusion on Muhammad's part?

Muslims believe that Ishmael was the son to be offered by Abraham on the altar. The Bible states that it was Isaac.

The Quran does not confirm the Bible. The Bible is the final word of God. It is complete and will stand until the end of time.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2009, 10:47 PM

1,385 posts, read 2,446,265 times
Some believe they are equally valid!

Old 01-04-2009, 11:05 PM

783 posts, read 1,321,831 times
How about all the Biblical prophecy that must be ignored and/or rejected if one claims that the Quran replaces the Bible?

How do Muslim Imams reconcile the prophecies’ that pertain to Christ Jesus? There are other concerns as well, like dating and authors, but those become irrelevant quickly when the issue of fulfilled prophecy is properly understood.

Old 01-04-2009, 11:16 PM

27,881 posts, read 29,685,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzjamiedawn View Post
The Quran does not confirm the Bible. The Bible is the final word of God. It is complete and will stand until the end of time.
I'm assuming the Bible says somewhere that it's complete.

Old 01-04-2009, 11:25 PM

1,385 posts, read 2,998,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sizzly Friddle View Post
Some believe they are equally valid!
True....many, many other religions too believe they are just as (if not more) valid.

Old 01-05-2009, 11:26 PM

1,186 posts, read 2,245,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzjamiedawn View Post

YouTube - Is the bible the word of God - Deedat vs Sjoberg - 2 of 24

YouTube - Bible God's Word? - Deedat vs Swaggart 6 of 23

Old 01-05-2009, 11:35 PM

moonsun,
Would you like to address the question of reconciling Biblical prophecy with the Quran?

Old 01-05-2009, 11:43 PM

6,351 posts, read 9,947,075 times
Well...inquiring minds want to know...if the Bible is the FINAL word of god, than why did the ramblings of a madman who had a beef with Nero a century after Christ died get his books in the bible? (i.e., Revelation)

Heck, I could get any drunken homeless person on the street to tell you all about angels and trumpets and the end of the world, and say god told him so...does that mean he's "inspired"?

Anyhow...Nicene Christians, Muslims and Jews all killing eachother because god told them it was a good idea

Yahh...makes perfect sense.

Soon as they find another planet capable of sustaining life, I purpose that us Gnostics, as well as the Sufis, Ahmadiyyas, pagans, Buddhist and Taoist all bounce up off Earth and let the rest of you gleefully destroy one another because "god told you to"

Old 01-05-2009, 11:50 PM

6,560 posts, read 14,396,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorianpunk View Post
Well...inquiring minds want to know...if the Bible is the FINAL word of god, than why did the ramblings of a madman who had a beef with Nero a century after Christ died get his books in the bible? (i.e., Revelation)
I've been to his cave/hermitage on Patmos. There are no natural water sources on Patmos, so you'd have to want to get away big time to live there in the first place. Plus, that would be a very long climb, all to live in a cave. I guess what I'm saying is that if you wanted to go somewhere and see pink elephants, and whatever else is in Revelation, that place would be a good candidate.

Old 01-05-2009, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by victorianpunk View Post
I’m a bit confused with this statement. The book of Revelation was included in the Canonization of the Bible. It didn’t come after the Bible. Now the Quran is another issue it followed the Bible by 300 – 400 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality