Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: In 2009 Which Religious Group Do You Think Is The Most Despised On The Planet On Average ?
Muslims 55 57.29%
Christians 21 21.88%
Jews 20 20.83%
Voters: 96. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2009, 07:49 AM

706 posts, read 1,241,203 times

Advertisements

I don't know about the world, but I would say that here in the USA, Baptists are the most hated of all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2009, 08:09 AM

7,084 posts, read 14,855,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calmdude View Post
Agree - you could add large parts of Russia and China to the mix. Hindus are accepting of everything - including atheism. It surprises me that in a country like the US, the word "secular" (like "liberal") is almost a dirty word. You go to a country like Turkey and their the muslims are fighting to keep their almost all-muslim country secular. The "my way or the highway" attitude is more prevalent here - you are simply going to hell if you are in a different path.
WELLLLLLLLLL, now that you mention it, all in all, as long as we are dealing with flights of fancy, (I do have a fair imagination), I suspect I would be a lot happier spending time in hell than I would being surrounded by the christers for all of eternity, but....then again.... if there is a hell, that may be exactly what it would be like, being forced to listen to inane ideas for all of eternity. "YUCK!" I say! (you may, of course, quote me if you wish, even using the alternative spelling).

Old 01-05-2009, 08:21 AM

12,169 posts, read 17,640,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronK View Post
I'd say they are all three hated pretty equally. It seems like Muslims hate Jews, Jews hate no one, and Christians hate Muslims who in return hate Christians just as much.
Christan's dislike everyone including other Christians who aren't members of their church. Many think members of other Christian churches aren't true Christans. It's sort of pompous and laughable when Christians look down at other people and say their beliefs aren't those of real Christian belief.

Old 01-05-2009, 08:41 AM

4,348 posts, read 7,352,915 times
Quote:
Unfortunately, it would be the Muslims at this point. A few bad apples have given most a bad name.

I also wonder where (or how low) atheists would rank if they were included in a poll in a non-atheistic forum.
Atheists are not a religion so it would be necessary to have a different list. The last I read we were just under lawyers in the US.

Old 01-05-2009, 09:01 AM

2,255 posts, read 5,396,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Jarrett View Post
Muslims, Christians, or Jews ? This is only referring to the present day 2009.
I would have to say as more time goes on, ALL of'um!

And you can blame ALL the Clergy for it.

Old 01-05-2009, 09:04 AM

2,255 posts, read 5,396,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cncracer View Post
Atheists are not a religion so it would be necessary to have a different list. The last I read we were just under lawyers in the US.
You're Okay, I'm Okay, He's Okay, She's Okay, They're all Okay, and our world is still in a disarray!!!

Old 01-05-2009, 09:07 AM

7,685 posts, read 13,137,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
Sadly I would say Muslims seem to cop a lot more flack than any other religion on the planet. A small minority of fundamentalists and extremists has given the rest of Islam a very bad name indeed.

I know a lot of Muslims here at home and have met thousands whilst travelling around the world and apart from feeling harassed in markets have never had any bad experiences whatsoever even as a single female traveller and self avowed Atheist. All I was met with was unfailing hospitality, kindness and generosity of spirit.

Like all religions it baffles me utterly but I do genuinely believe it has been high-jacked by some nasty people with an agenda of their own and little comprehension of the scholarly attitude towards life which Islam truly is about. The Media has hardly helped. The vast majority of Muslims are nice, hard working peaceful people who pretty much want the same we all do.

Peace, love, enough financial security and political stability to get on with our lives, and the best for their kids. Yes there are terrible human rights abuses , nobody can deny that but in my experience the perpetrators are not true Muslims anyway and the people just suffer.
I don't know a whole lot about the Muslim teaching, but what I do know is that they seem to teach alot about love, compassion, respect, honor, and the search for more knowledge. I've tried to stick to the true fact that, "the lack of understanding and exceptance, breeds hate and fear."

Old 01-05-2009, 09:07 AM

3,635 posts, read 10,740,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovethetruth View Post
I don't know about the world, but I would say that here in the USA, Baptists are the most hated of all.
I agree. I even live in the Bible Belt and there's a kind of shame w/ being Baptist. Most Baptist ppl I know dont even claim to be Baptist.

Old 01-05-2009, 09:36 AM

4,173 posts, read 6,684,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cncracer View Post
I know atheism is not a religion but was curious about the public opinion anyway. Being below lawyers is mildly surprising.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Rhodes View Post
WELLLLLLLLLL, now that you mention it, all in all, as long as we are dealing with flights of fancy, (I do have a fair imagination), I suspect I would be a lot happier spending time in hell than I would being surrounded by the christers for all of eternity, but....then again.... if there is a hell, that may be exactly what it would be like, being forced to listen to inane ideas for all of eternity. "YUCK!" I say! (you may, of course, quote me if you wish, even using the alternative spelling).
I shudder to think what eternal heavy-handed religious preaching would do to me - that would be the supposed hell. At CD, a milder version of it is only a mouseclick away - we can simulate what (some say) the future holds for some of us.

Old 01-05-2009, 09:40 AM

12,169 posts, read 17,640,761 times
Quote:
I know atheism is not a religion but was curious about the public opinion anyway. Being below lawyers is mildly surprising.

I shudder to think what eternal heavy-handed religious preaching would do to me - that would be the supposed hell. At CD, a milder version of it is only a mouseclick away - we can simulate what (some say) the future holds for some of us.
Bless the eternal iggy button
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality