Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-06-2009, 11:42 AM

225 posts, read 341,517 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbrich View Post
My argument is that you have yet to explain how this whole thing started. What caused the universe to exist?
Knock, knock, anybody home? No atheist or freethinking individual here CLAIMS to know. Because you adopted a fairy tale that explains it does not make your position more tenable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2009, 11:49 AM

4,655 posts, read 5,052,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heracles View Post
Knock, knock, anybody home? No atheist or freethinking individual here CLAIMS to know. Because you adopted a fairy tale that explains it does not make your position more tenable.

How is my "fairy tale" any less realistic than your's?

You believe in omnipotent chance. I believe in a creator.

Old 01-06-2009, 11:49 AM

1,088 posts, read 2,192,465 times
Quote:
(trimmed, sorry.)

My argument is that you have yet to explain how this whole thing started. What caused the universe to exist?
There's just no one hundred percent way to be sure. Welcome to reality, we don't always have the answers.

Let's pretend you're right... and "goddidit". Alright. What caused God to exist, then? If the universe can't appear out of nothing without having a creator, then God couldn't either. Who is God's creator?

Old 01-06-2009, 11:52 AM

4,655 posts, read 5,052,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spotted1 View Post
There's just no one hundred percent way to be sure. Welcome to reality, we don't always have the answers.

Let's pretend you're right... and "goddidit". Alright. What caused God to exist, then? If the universe can't appear out of nothing without having a creator, then God couldn't either. Who is God's creator?

I answered that earlier, but I'll do it again.

You can choose to believe in a regression of creators that caused the one after them to exist...but at some point you have to have had a beginning.

We can measure 8 hours of time. We can measure 8 years.

If there is an infinite regression of time and creators in our past, how can we measure the infinite amount of time? How can you possibly cross an infinite amount of time to be able to get to now?

It had to have a beginning at some point. It's only logical.

Old 01-06-2009, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spotted1 View Post

Don't bother. kdbrich wants it both ways - a science-based universe is impossible (and you are stupid for thinking it) because you can't find a cause, but god is everlasting and has no cause (and it is obvious). Whatever.

Old 01-06-2009, 12:01 PM

Quote:
I answered that earlier, but I'll do it again.

You can choose to believe in a regression of creators that caused the one after them to exist...but at some point you have to have had a beginning.

We can measure 8 hours of time. We can measure 8 years.

If there is an infinite regression of time and creators in our past, how can we measure the infinite amount of time? How can you possibly cross an infinite amount of time to be able to get to now?

It had to have a beginning at some point. It's only logical.
We can also measure 8 billion years. So?

If you want to believe there were other Gods before the Judeo-Christian era god of now, then doesn't that contrast the Christian Bible since it says God is the Alpha (beginning) and the Omega (end)?

Old 01-06-2009, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Don't bother. kdbrich wants it both ways - a science-based universe is impossible (and you are stupid for thinking it) because you can't find a cause, but god is everlasting and has no cause (and it is obvious). Whatever.
Oh I know it's a total time waster. lol But I'm bored, so why not.

Old 01-06-2009, 12:02 PM

Quote:

What is omnipotent chance?

Old 01-06-2009, 12:04 PM

Quote:
What is omnipotent chance?
Chance that needs a little blue pill to get where its going....

Oh wait.. OMNIpotent.. I thought it said something else....

Old 01-06-2009, 12:07 PM

1,362 posts, read 4,610,761 times
Quote:

I think you're confusing our belief with what you consider belief. We could very well be proven wrong one day and we'll admit. You god is unproven and you still cling to it. Who's being rational? You really don't have anything else left to post that would go towards a compelling argument.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality