Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2009, 02:51 PM

4,173 posts, read 6,686,285 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salt & Light View Post
I answered this before but in short:
Because we are human we can’t speak for God. In short; if you want to know God start by asking Him to reveal Himself to you as you study His word. If you want to know the view of people of faith I suggest you begin with what shapes their world view rather than rejecting it.
We seem to be at an impasse. Basically, you dont know (and you give your reasons), and I think, after all this time, the believers should have some clue. I understand you do not want to even touch the issue of religion1 vs religion2 vs religion3 etc since that will lead to more questions that there are no answers for (unless I read "the" holy book and blindly believe it!).
Incidentally, it is only after talking to religious people I became an atheist because all I got was vague and unsatisfying answers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2009, 02:57 PM

2,957 posts, read 7,383,675 times
Quote:
Do you believe in a Supreme Being?

If so; do you submit to its’ authority?
No. Maybe there are some kind of invisible cosmic rules (morality? karma? God?) that I generally follow. I'm a believer in higher powers. Whether that involves any kind of authority is beyond me.

Quote:
If not; what do you hold most high or revere most?
Reality. I revere it all.

Quote:
I’m convinced Atheists exist but I believe that many agnostics are incorrectly defined as Atheist. I have a hunch you fit that category.
I suppose...

Old 01-09-2009, 02:58 PM

7,125 posts, read 12,661,810 times
I think God looks on we humans as a failed experiment and is perfecting a new model to replace us.

Perhaps it's time for the meek to inherit the earth, the war-mongers have tried and failed, and the polluters have soiled our Eden.

Old 01-09-2009, 03:09 PM

3,032 posts, read 8,919,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
I think God looks on we humans as a failed experiment and is perfecting a new model to replace us.
That would imply that "god" is imperfect, to have created a failed experiment.

Quote:
Perhaps it's time for the meek to inherit the earth, the war-mongers have tried and failed, and the polluters have soiled our Eden.
The meek won't inherit the earth, they'll just be food for the strong.

Old 01-09-2009, 03:10 PM

783 posts, read 1,326,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calmdude View Post
We seem to be at an impasse. Basically, you dont know (and you give your reasons), and I think, after all this time, the believers should have some clue.
We as people are "at an impasse" because we don’t have all the answers as I have pointed out. Again, as an Atheist you expect people to give you answers that only God can provide, yet you reject Him. As an Atheist you consider the fact that people don’t have all the answers as proof that God does not exist. I continue to encourage you to ask God Himself rather than His creation to answer the questions only He can reveal the answers to. We are "at an impasse” because we can’t change one-another’s heart, only God can.
Quote:
Incidentally, it is only after talking to religious people I became an atheist because all I got was vague and unsatisfying answers.
I know. You will understand the significance of this in the not so distant future. The choice to sincerely seek answers is yours, not “religious people”.

Old 01-09-2009, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by b. frank View Post
I'm a believer in higher powers.
You are an agnostic. You have a different view (understanding) than an Atheist does. Hence what I said before that applied to Atheists does not apply to you, as you stated.

Old 01-09-2009, 03:18 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,622,146 times
Salt & Light wrote:
Quote:
God is acknowledges that God exists. I find this strange coming from folks that adamantly claim there is no God. Why the interest In something you don’t believe?
I'm interested in philosophical and religious issues which is the purpose of this forum. Because I live in a very religious society in which the extreme right often overstep what is acceptable based on our Constitution I also feel the need to stand up for what I believe, or in this case don't believe.
Getting back to the OP I happen to think that both of the opposing forces believe that God is on their side. That's one of the reasons we've been having religious wars since the beginnings of civilization. Religion, when carried to it's extreme, often results in persecution, civil unrest and war.

Old 01-09-2009, 03:25 PM

4,173 posts, read 6,686,285 times
Quote:
We as people are "at an impasse" because we don’t have all the answers as I have pointed out. Again, as an Atheist you expect people to give you answers that only God can provide, yet you reject Him. As an Atheist you consider the fact that people don’t have all the answers as proof that God does not exist. I continue to encourage you to ask God Himself rather than His creation to answer the questions only He can reveal the answers to. We are "at an impasse” because we can’t change one-another’s heart, only God can.

I know. You will understand the significance of this in the not so distant future. The choice to sincerely seek answers is yours, not “religious people”.
I am trying to seek answers from the enlightened and they keep on referring me to something else.....

Old 01-09-2009, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
I'm interested in philosophical and religious issues which is the purpose of this forum.
If this is the case then wouldn’t it possibly be more beneficial to discuss whether war is actually a result of religion or if religion is an underlying pretext that is used as mans justification to peruse his own will?

Why on earth would an Atheist begin the discussion with God, an entity they believe does not exist? Asking the opinion of someone you reject will only lead to a one-way closed loop discussion in which nothing will be gained. Is that how modern philosophy is suposed to work?

Old 01-09-2009, 03:51 PM

Quote:
I am trying to seek answers from the enlightened and they keep on referring me to something else.....
...God.

You sincerely seek God and answers will be understood by you. God has answered many of your questions but since you reject Him His answerers remain a mystery to you. If you don’t sincerely ask Him first you won’t understand His answers, you will simply have the words of man which will mean nothing to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality