Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2011, 04:00 PM

6,712 posts, read 13,459,170 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
I see missionaries for what they are (Door to door salesmen) and treat them appropriately.
I absolutely agree.

Perhaps what eludes the folks who go door-knocking are basic social cues. There is almost an inherent braggart-like disposition most of these people have and going door-knocking only serves the purpose of putting people in an awkward position they don't want to be in in the first place - especially at their home.

Most of us conform to various societal cues rather well. When someone offers us something, we often feel inclined to politely accept or respectfully say "No, thanks," as a matter of common courtesy. But, door-knocking by religious folks crosses boundaries that put the recipient in an awkward position.

I think there is something most of us hold "sacred" about our homes. It is the place where we feel a common modicum of privacy and the things we like to keep private are held within the confines of those walls. In a sense, our homes are safety nets to keep our private lives private.

When someone goes around door-knocking they are essentially violating the outer boundary of safety we feel within our homes. First and foremost, they are there to spread their private thoughts and beliefs into your sanctuary of privacy. In most humans, I think that triggers a somewhat defensive response, or at the very least, a defensive instinct.

From my understanding, the main goal in most of these cases is for them to work their way into your home and to sit down with you and continue to spread their message. Make no mistake about it, the polite knock on the door or ringing of the doorbell is only the beginning. This is really no different than a vampire who must be welcomed into the home before he can return. Just because you let the vampire in doesn't mean he isn't going to continually come back to make attempts at sucking the life out of you.

There are few things that serve as such enablers of people to feel that they not only have justification to cross your boundaries but feel they are compelled to do it. Religion is a tool that is most heinous in its attempts to do such a thing. When people come to your door asking you to suddenly switch your belief system, they are violating a plethora of boundaries and that does not and should not be respected.

There is nothing noble or even societally acceptable about someone crossing boundaries or even making an attempt to do so. The very knock on the door symbolizes not only an attempt at breaking through the threshold of the privacy your dwelling provides but it seeks to tear down walls of your own personal opinions and beliefs. These people are not there for any other reason than to impinge upon your privacy, your beliefs, your opinions, etc... All this comes in the name of them holding the belief that what they are doing is right. Religion and money are the only two tools I know of that can convince a person to do such a thing.

Ironically, and even more distasteful, these religious zealots will almost unanimously agree that if they knock on everyone's door only to be accepted by one person then they have not failed. The audacity of these self-righteous fools amazes me! They are willing to put a number of people in a neighborhood or community into an awkward position, make attempts at violating their boundaries, all in the hopes of reaching even one person. In other words, that tells me that these people hold EVERYONE'S sanctuary, EVERYONE's private beliefs, and EVERYONE's personal opinions with little to no regard at all and also as something not worthy of respecting in and of itself.

So, when they come to my door, I keep in mind the fact that they are here to "politely" cross your boundaries, that they hold your own personal opinions and beliefs with little to no regard, and they want nothing more than to eradicate your beliefs and conform you to their way of thinking. That is their ultimate goal and that is what they are there for. I treat such disdain and disrespect towards me and my family appropriately:

First I point out the sign they missed at the front of my neighborhood which specifically says "No Solicitors," and then I tell them that if they don't leave my private neighborhood I will call the police. I've never had them do anything but leave at that point in time. My plan, should they ever refuse to leave, is to tell them that Castle Laws exist in my state and that any further continuance on my property will result in my feeling threatened and that I can respond with deadly force. Of course, I don't even own a gun (hate the things) but I imagine that will get them off the property quickly.

The amount of respect they are given should come in turn to the amount of respect they are giving you by making every "polite" attempt at infringing upon you. That is, to say, absolutely no respect should be shown to these people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2011, 05:09 PM

661 posts, read 1,183,930 times
I went door to door as a JW for over thirty years.

Jehovah's Witnesses believe that it is a command from God to go specifically from DOOR TO DOOR to proselytize.

English Standard Version (©2001)
And every day, in the temple and from house to house, they did not cease teaching and preaching Jesus as the Christ.

They believe that they are commanded by God to make disciples. They believe they have the truth and that all other religions and sects of Christianity are therefore wrong. (sound familiar?) In order to be saved, one must embrace the truth as espoused by Jehovah's Witnesses. Therefore, they feel impelled to preach in this way, whether the public wants it or not. They see peoples reactions to them as a reaction to Jehovah, whom they represent. (Little did you know that rejecting the offer of a Watchtower and Awake magazine is putting you on death row!)

If people react unfavourably or violently this has an added benefit for it reinforces the belief that they have the truth and that Armageddon must be close, as God's true people will be persecuted.

JWs also use other methods to preach, but the house to house work serves other purposes too, namely for the hierarchy of the JWs. For one thing, if the JWs just preached informally or without being organized into groups for the house to house work, the elders would not be able to keep tabs on who was preaching. This way, if you are not seen with others engaging in the work, you are perceived as being spiritually weak and will receive a shepherding call to 'encourage' you to do things the way the Organization decrees. So it is a method of control. You are encouraged to Witness whenever, wherever, but a person whose ministry does not include 'supporting' his brothers in the field ministry, even if he doing a lot of informal ministry, is seen as a maverick, and the Governing Body dont like mavericks.

Old 04-25-2011, 10:24 PM

8,734 posts, read 13,818,525 times
If you don't call beforehand, I probably won't answer the doorbell.

Old 04-26-2011, 08:19 AM

10,449 posts, read 12,461,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanTerra View Post
If you don't call beforehand, I probably won't answer the doorbell.
JW's will call, email, or do whatever they need to do beforehand to make sure you answer the door. When I was deaf-blind they texted and emailed me and knocked HARD so that I could feel the vibrations. When they couldn't find me at home they would go look around the mall where I spent most of my time away from home. They knew who to ask at the mall if they couldn't find me there either because I had a lot of friends at the mall. So JW's will figure out one way or another to get to you, even if you have no phone, no doorbell, and no other way of staying in touch! The devotion is touching but also a little creepy if it's unwanted.

Old 04-26-2011, 09:53 AM

3,493 posts, read 4,552,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyKLO View Post
You went to a church and you find it disrespectful...oh please...you went to their house of worship....what did you really expect...that is what many in church do..they preach and some people do convert, others maybe not.

If I visited a friend's religious house of worship that is different from mine, of course I am going to expect to hear such things as come again or let's pray or let's talk about it. I find it unusual that you find it uncomfortable....seriously...you went to their house of worship....and now you complain....

I don't have an issue with people coming to me speaking on their faiths or whatever. I am courteous and can say no thank you and be done with it. I don't understand why people get so worked up...just say no thank you..quite simple.
I share your way of handling it. I do notice that people are courteous with others in many areas where they may not like or agree with, however, they are not the least compromising when it comes to religion and politics. The all courtesy and compromising goes out the window, take care.

Old 04-26-2011, 10:12 AM

8,734 posts, read 13,818,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
JW's will call, email, or do whatever they need to do beforehand to make sure you answer the door. When I was deaf-blind they texted and emailed me and knocked HARD so that I could feel the vibrations. When they couldn't find me at home they would go look around the mall where I spent most of my time away from home. They knew who to ask at the mall if they couldn't find me there either because I had a lot of friends at the mall. So JW's will figure out one way or another to get to you, even if you have no phone, no doorbell, and no other way of staying in touch! The devotion is touching but also a little creepy if it's unwanted.
You must be a magnet for them. Evidently, as I have never met one at my door or been called or tracked down, the ones in my area must be real slackers, eh. I can't imagine they would go to that much trouble, when there is another door on either side of my house. It's like telemarketing, a numbers game. If no sale or no one is home, get on the next one as soon as possible.

Old 04-26-2011, 12:59 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,185,132 times
I politely tell door-to-door proselytizers that I will accept whatever printed materials they have so that I can look them over and consider them in my own time, but that I don't wish to discuss it with them.

Old 04-26-2011, 01:02 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
There is a NO SOLICITATION sign beside my front door. If they ring the doorbell, they will be on their way very shortly.
Yes. I pointed that out to the last two that came by. And that in our city, ringing my doorbell for purposes of solicitation is illegal if there is a posted sign. They said that since they weren't selling anything, it didn't count.

I called the police on them after they started arguing with me. They got pretty nasty then.

Old 04-26-2011, 03:09 PM

1,301 posts, read 2,110,495 times
If people were interested in what these door knockers have to offer, they'd come to them. Proselytizing shouldn't be necessary. I'm not sure how much good it really even does. It's not like I'm gonna join a church or anything if you annoy me enough.

Old 04-26-2011, 04:10 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by achickenchaser View Post
If people were interested in what these door knockers have to offer, they'd come to them. Proselytizing shouldn't be necessary. I'm not sure how much good it really even does. It's not like I'm gonna join a church or anything if you annoy me enough.

I wonder, though, how often it DOES work, though...otherwise, why would they be wasting their time doing this all these years?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality