Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2009, 10:34 AM

6,560 posts, read 14,453,208 times

Advertisements

This is something I do not believe most people in my country get. When you come to someone's door unbidden trying to convert them (and let us not pretend that you are just there to 'discuss' or 'share' or any of that; you're looking for recruits or you would not be doing this), the very act is a direct putdown of the beliefs of the person you're proselytizing. Frankly, if more people thought it through, more missionaries would get worse receptions. Anyway, here is why:

1) All proselytization carries with it the fundamental belief that one's religion is superior to all others. This is why other people should change their beliefs, ideally right this second; other religions/philosophies could only possibly have merit only to the degree they agree with one's own beliefs. Anything beyond that is 'false doctrine.' If one's religion is superior and better, other religions are inferior and lesser.

2) Pretending this is not so is hypocrisy, deception and frankly pretty underhanded. The next time someone comes to my door and bluntly announces "Hi, we're here to recruit you into our church" they will get the politest dismissal I have given a missionary in twenty years.

3) It is one thing to harbor these arrogant thoughts in one's mind. It is another to articulate them. It is still yet another to articulate them on the doorstep of someone's home. It is one more step beyond the pale to articulate them on someone's doorstep whom one does not even know.

4) The excuse that 'it's for your own good' or 'we are just trying to save you' or 'our faith requires this' does not hold water, because society would not extend the same tolerance to other religions making the same excuses. Imagine how long a pair of Muslim missionaries would last doing this and saying that. Satanist missionaries. Even atheist missionaries (and to judge by this forum they exist to a degree). All of the above excuses reinforce the message of arrogance: "Since my faith is superior to yours and everyone else's, and unlike yours is fundamentally correct, it has special privileges. If its tenets require me to invade your privacy, then you should understand that's because of good intentions."

5) So. How should I react to a missionary at my door? Let's see. I didn't ask for visitors. I restrain the dogs, come to the door. Two people are here. I know good and well what they are here for, but I ask. They want to talk to me about "having a good name." Soon they admit that they really want to preach Christianity to me, though not in so many words. I am once again flabbergasted: you come to my home's door uninvited, without even knowing me or getting to know me, and your very first act on my property is to imply a putdown of my religious principles (whatever those might be; you never asked).

And I'm supposed to respond politely to this, even understand it?

What if I try banging on your door and implying with my first comment that your wife is ugly and your children aren't yours? Oh, I'll coat it sweetly: "I'm just here to help you in case you have children issues due to your wife's 'situation'. I really feel badly for you. But all is not lost--the ones you fathered are much handsomer! Oh, and I have a right to do this. It's about the children you see. I just want to help the children. How can you be offended when I want to save the children? After all, I know better than you."

You would probably slug me. I'd deserve it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2011, 09:11 PM

1 posts, read 4,286 times
Default Well articulated and a neutral, fair and objective response.

I even re-posted this on my Facebook page... Attended a performance by a Christian friend in her church on Good Friday and was surprised, nay taken aback, by how the Pastor ended the "show" by proselytizing and basically harassing the congregation for new followers. It was downright uncomfortable and completely disrespectful!

Old 04-24-2011, 09:31 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,518,209 times
There is a NO SOLICITATION sign beside my front door. If they ring the doorbell, they will be on their way very shortly.

Old 04-24-2011, 09:37 PM

2,108 posts, read 2,893,044 times
I agree jkk, and I was a Mormon missionary for 2 years. Then I trained missionaries at a training center for 2 years and 8 months. I am no longer a Mormon and wish I never bothered all those people at their door steps, or brought a false religion into their lives.

Old 04-24-2011, 09:37 PM

335 posts, read 375,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
There is a NO SOLICITATION sign beside my front door. If they ring the doorbell, they will be on their way very shortly.
Just so you are aware, most legal authorities will not recognize, or take any real action in reference to, No Soliciting signs in relation to religions because many are not actually petitioning anything other than attention.

You might want to put up a sign specifically regarding religion, or the one sign which is unquestionable and that is No Tresspassing.

Old 04-24-2011, 09:42 PM

2,108 posts, read 2,893,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driftwood2011 View Post
Just so you are aware, most legal authorities will not recognize, or take any real action in reference to, No Soliciting signs in relation to religions because many are not actually petitioning anything other than attention.

You might want to put up a sign specifically regarding religion, or the one sign which is unquestionable and that is No Tresspassing.
Yeah, on my mission we ignored "No Solicitation" signs.

Old 04-24-2011, 09:52 PM

766 posts, read 1,394,353 times
I was visiting a friend's house one day that happens to be Atheist. He has a No Trespassing and a Dog on Property sign on his front door (and other places). Some JW knocked on the door. When he answered the door, he told them he was an Atheist and his 2 pitbulls think religious folks taste like chicken.

They haven't been back in years. LOLOL

Old 04-24-2011, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driftwood2011 View Post

If they are so damn arrogant to think it doesn't apply to their BS, then they will get educated.

Old 04-24-2011, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hueffenhardt View Post
Yeah, on my mission we ignored "No Solicitation" signs.
How utterly arrogant of you

Old 04-24-2011, 10:56 PM

10,449 posts, read 12,456,919 times
I just think door-knocking is a bad method. It's not the 1800's anymore. It's a pain in the @ss both for the people living in their houses and for the people having to do all that walking. That's what the phone was invented for. Plus I think solicitation of any kind should be restricted to business places and business hours so people can go home knowing they won't be bothered by anyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality