Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2009, 08:35 AM

307 posts, read 478,804 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cncracer View Post
Your actions speak much louder than your words, and they sure don’t scream free thinking from what I read.
I see a person who makes decisions based on faith alone as a person who fears stepping out side the box or is too lazy to look for real answers. I personally would see being told I was a person of faith as an insult.
No. You have just read the post of a believer and have made all sorts of assumptions about me based on your prejudices. How could it be otherwise? You have never met or spoken to me.

My faith is borne of reason, humility and an open heart. I am not bound to only that which can be tested or examined under a microscope. You are bound because your eyes and heart are blind. I'm not saying that you will always be this way but that is where you are right now.

There, I have made assumptions too....annoying isn't it? I think mine have more than a bit of truth in them, though, unlike yours.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2009, 08:50 PM

9,732 posts, read 4,052,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elizabeth7 View Post
No. You have just read the post of a believer and have made all sorts of assumptions about me based on your prejudices. How could it be otherwise? You have never met or spoken to me.

My faith is borne of reason, humility and an open heart. I am not bound to only that which can be tested or examined under a microscope. You are bound because your eyes and heart are blind. I'm not saying that you will always be this way but that is where you are right now.

There, I have made assumptions too....annoying isn't it? I think mine have more than a bit of truth in them, though, unlike yours.

Oh I am laughing out loud Elizabeth Good explanation.

Old 01-14-2009, 09:11 PM

2,430 posts, read 2,762,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cncracer View Post
Lincoln was an atheist, and a very outspoken Anti-Christian, but you are right about none from the 1950 to date.
No, not according to personal letters ............Maybe you think you you are an atheist..........But what Lincoln wrote is a matter of public record........maybe your denial has overcome your ability to reason...say perhaps, he never went to church....or had doubts as a younger man......say he was a sinner...ask yourself ,can saying I am a duck make me a duck? saying you are a atheist does not make you an atheist.

Old 01-16-2009, 07:01 AM

7,084 posts, read 14,822,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbrich View Post
For the most part, people are dumb animals--wanting to follow a leader.

If I'm going to follow a leader, I'd much prefer my leader by a benevolent God instead of secular humanism as most people follow nowadays.
Hummmmm, that poses an interesting little conundrum, a benevolent god? If one accepts the theory that god invented/created/dreamed up everything this would include all forms of cancer, AIDS, Scarlet Fever, MS, MD, pleuresy, bubonic plague, malaria, dengue fever, borderline personality disorder, bipolar personality disorder, phobias, influenza, the common cold, congenital heart defects, measels, mumps, chicken pox, polio,.....uhhhhhh, this list is quite long. An awfully lot of maladies for a benevolent god, doncha think?

Old 01-16-2009, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elizabeth7 View Post
My faith is borne of reason,
LOL, by definition, this is a contradiction in terms.

Old 01-16-2009, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescityleon View Post
...ask yourself ,can saying I am a duck make me a duck?
I suspect it would all depend on what it is that you are ducking. For example, not having to take responsibility for your own actions. If you do something right it is "doing gods will" if you err, then, "the devil made me do it" in either case, your will does not enter into the equation, ergo you are not responsible for your own actions.......BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA......

Old 01-16-2009, 07:15 AM

4,511 posts, read 7,506,213 times
Thumbs up Quack quack..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Rhodes View Post
I suspect it would all depend on what it is that you are ducking. For example, not having to take responsibility for your own actions. If you do something right it is "doing gods will" if you err, then, "the devil made me do it" in either case, your will does not enter into the equation, ergo you are not responsible for your own actions.......BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA......

I love it, errr.. the duck(l)ing i mean...

Last edited by effie g-tad; 01-16-2009 at 07:16 AM.. Reason: old mac donald had a farm..

Old 01-16-2009, 11:04 AM

63,532 posts, read 39,819,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Rhodes View Post
LOL, by definition, this is a contradiction in terms.
How have you determined this with such certainty, Dusty?

Old 01-16-2009, 11:16 AM

970 posts, read 1,697,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
How have you determined this with such certainty, Dusty?
Well, faith is believing in something without proof, isn't it? Which does not sit well with reason.

Old 01-16-2009, 11:58 AM

63,532 posts, read 39,819,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roxolan View Post
Well, faith is believing in something without proof, isn't it? Which does not sit well with reason.
I suspect that there are myriad things you believe without any personal proof (faith) . . . but which have significant scientific proof available through others . . . hence in line with reason. We all choose our "priests and prophets" on different bases . . . and absent any "proof against" . . . we are free to so choose and still remain in line with reason.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality