U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 11-30-2011, 06:36 PM

701 posts, read 392,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzymom View Post
The perspective is that there can be no sacrificial system without a temple. The sacrificial system has been replaced by rabbinic Judaism.

And lambs were not the only animals sacrificed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
Until the 3rd Temple is built, the sacrificial system has been replaced by prayer.

You are both missing the point and dodging the question. What is the current Jewish perspective on what the ancient (from the time of the Exodus through to the dissapearance of the Ark of The Covenant) sacrificial system meant back then? What was the symbolism of the entire system? What did the animal sacrifices (I know they were not all lambs) represent? what did the blood represent? Why was it sprinkled over the Ark of the Covenant? What was the Day of Atonement all about? What was the Cleansing of the Sanctuary all about?

It was not all about the rebuilding of the temple. Are you trying to say that the purpose of the Temple was to have sacrifices and the purpose of the sacrifices was to have a reason for the Temple?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2011, 06:36 PM

1,635 posts, read 788,106 times
Quote:
It did not benefit the Romans to blame the Jews. It benefited the early Christian writers to make it look like the Jews killed Jesus. The Romans are clearly in control and the early Christians were already a suspected group of people who the Romans saw as problematic. The early writers blamed the Jews because to blame the Romans would have brought down the wrath on them.
True, but I was thinking more of later on down the road, when Rome became "Christian" and was trying to hold onto it's waning power

Old 11-30-2011, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Rabbinic Judaism and I have a feeling if a 3rd temple is ever built only the orthodox will be performing sacrifices. The rest of Judaism has move on.

Why? What is the purpose of the sacrifices? What do they symbolise? What has the rest of Judaism moved on from; the sacrificial system?

Old 11-30-2011, 06:45 PM

4,083 posts, read 2,502,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfNelson View Post
Why? What is the purpose of the sacrifices? What do they symbolise? What has the rest of Judaism moved on from; the sacrificial system?
Get a book on Judaism and do some reading......

Old 11-30-2011, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Get a book on Judaism and do some reading......

I have read plenty on the subject, a book will not give me your perspective, your understanding. Are you saying you don't know? Can't explain it? What? If you don't know, just say that you don't know. Don't instruct me to go read books on something you yourself don't seem to understand. I want to know what it is that you understand about that system, and what its purpose was. If you simply don't know, that is fine, but just say it.

Old 11-30-2011, 06:52 PM

Quote:
You are both missing the point and dodging the question. What is the current Jewish perspective on what the ancient (from the time of the Exodus through to the dissapearance of the Ark of The Covenant) sacrificial system meant back then? What was the symbolism of the entire system? What did the animal sacrifices (I know they were not all lambs) represent? what did the blood represent? Why was it sprinkled over the Ark of the Covenant? What was the Day of Atonement all about? What was the Cleansing of the Sanctuary all about?

It was not all about the rebuilding of the temple. Are you trying to say that the purpose of the Temple was to have sacrifices and the purpose of the sacrifices was to have a reason for the Temple?

Since you have all these questions and we have not answered them to your liking then I suspect nothing we say will be to your liking. You know and I know where you want to go with this and I will not go there with you. I am not interested in sacrifices and the idea of a human sacrifice. I would recommend if you want information then you go get a book on Judaism.

The ancient world saw sacrifice as a way to atone for sins. Ancient people sacrificed animals, and people. Jews sacrificed animals because to sacrifice people was unacceptable. There were many types of sacrifices and each was done in a specific manner for specific reasons. With the destruction of the temple the sacrificial system ended. There are Jews who see a future 3rd temple and a return to the sacrificial system there are Jews who don't.

Old 11-30-2011, 06:54 PM

11,835 posts, read 12,345,021 times
Quote:
I have read plenty on the subject, a book will not give me your perspective, your understanding. Are you saying you don't know? Can't explain it? What? If you don't know, just say that you don't know. Don't instruct me to go read books on something you yourself don't seem to understand. I want to know what it is that you understand about that system, and what its purpose was. If you simply don't know, that is fine, but just say it.
Why exactly are you so frantic about this one point -- getting these two people's personal POVs? (Or...PsOV I guess would be more correct.) The way you're hammering away at them smacks of an "Ah-HA, gotcha!" moment...Why not just be a grownup about it and state what it is you're driving at, here?

Because your posts sure as heck don't smack of simple academic curiosity.

FWIW and from a non-Jewish perspective: Many religions practiced sacrifice at one time. In Abrahamic times it's likely that most of Europe sacrificed, as well as the Middle East. I'm pretty sure it was common in South America at about this time period too. I confess I don't know much about the east on this point but that's certainly a fair chunk of the globe right there.

Sacrifice at one time was very, very common to a variety of religions and cultures and it seems to have died out in pretty much all of them. Whatever a given religion's reasons are, it seems like there was some turning point where sacrifices just pretty much stopped happening among these particular groups.

Old 11-30-2011, 06:54 PM

This site might shed some light on the isuue of the OP.

Daniel's 70 Weeks Prophecy

Old 11-30-2011, 06:57 PM

Quote:
This site might shed some light on the isuue of the OP.

Daniel's 70 Weeks Prophecy

Yes and it sheds light on your agenda... A christian agenda. You are not interested in the beliefs of others just showing the rightness of what you believe.

So your site really means nothing.

Old 11-30-2011, 07:00 PM

Quote:
You are the one asking and rejecting all the answers you get. I know about my religion, I don't care about yours. I am not interested in debating.

Like I said you are the one who is being dishonest.

You just want a debate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality