U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
Old 12-14-2011, 03:02 PM
 
2 posts, read 644 times
Reputation: 11
Post Word1

Quote:
Originally Posted by gospelsaves View Post
Then what is his race?
He is still Jewish, just as Christ was Jewish. Christianity is the following of the ways of Christ who is Jewish. It is very simple, and we must not look to or try to make it any harder than what it is. It is what it is!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-14-2011, 03:12 PM
 
2 posts, read 644 times
Reputation: 11
Post Word1

They do not believe because it takes faith to believe that God is who He said that He is, and that He is a rewarder of them that diligently seeks. (Heb. 11:6)
God, Jesus Christ and the Holy Spirit are one in the same with three different distinct offices or set of responsibilites.

Just as you may be a father, son and brother each one comes with a different office or responsibilites, but all one and the same.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-14-2011, 03:18 PM
 
4,083 posts, read 2,494,925 times
Reputation: 779
Quote:
Originally Posted by gospelsaves View Post
Ohhh so now it's "they were not taught the correct translations of the Torah like I was!" uh huh....right.

You telling me every FLUENT Hebrew speaking , TORAH reading Jew that believes in Jesus (cuz they came some different conclusion than you guys did)MUST just be misinformed and not have been taught correct translation...and they are just all led astray. uh - huh...sure .....sure!

Rabbi's who now believe in Jesus. Just all gone the other way and they can have no valid point whatsoever cuz those pesky Christians must have gotten to them. ...uh huh


you did not read what I said:


Originally Posted by Jazzymom
Those Jews have fallen into the trap of Christianity. Hopefully one day they will return to the Jewish people.

There are also many Jews who are not schooled in the Torah, Hebrew or Judaism and they grew up in places where their Jewishness was hidden or it was not safe to be Jewish.


They fall victim to the Messianic Jews who tell them they can be Jewish and Christian. The Jews for Jesus tell Jews they can be "completed" Jews.

These groups target Jews.

What I would tell those Jews is that they have been misled.


What I said is that they were not taught anything. There Jewishness was hidden. What often happens is they learn that they had a Jewish family member like a parent or grandparent and they learn they are Jewish.

But the issue is they are technically Jewish but they don't know Judaism. Often they were brought up as Christians so that is what they know.

What often happens is the Messianics get to them and tell them they can be Jewish and Christian. The services look Jewish to them. But they are Christians who are are targeting Jews.

There are many Jews who grew up not learning about their religion.

It is sad and to me a devastation.

What I would love to see is Christians just getting on with their religion and leaving the Jews alone. We don't need to be converted. We don't need to be saved.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-14-2011, 03:23 PM
 
Location: Chambersburg PA
1,634 posts, read 783,798 times
Reputation: 1306
Quote:
Originally Posted by gospelsaves View Post
I mean let's just not stop their with stupid. I'm mean while we are at it lets just go on ahead and tell him to change his name from Seth to like "Sam". Something that just sounds less Jewish-like. I'm mean Seth is kind of a dead give-a-way wouldn't you say? Wouldn't want the rest of the world thinking he was Jewish now would we?

Sam, Sammy, Sean???? Can you recommend a new name? First and Last he is going to need. And he really should stop taking those trips back to Isreal. Could save on the frequent flyer miles and all.
How about Finnegan? or Seamus...sorry, I'm not helping am I?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-14-2011, 03:25 PM
 
9,343 posts, read 16,403,007 times
Reputation: 4209
Quote:
Originally Posted by Word1 View Post
He is still Jewish, just as Christ was Jewish.
Jesus of Nazareth was born, lived and dies a Jew, and was not a Christian, unless you think he worshiped himself, for which there is another word: narcissistic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-14-2011, 03:26 PM
 
Location: Chambersburg PA
1,634 posts, read 783,798 times
Reputation: 1306
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
No, there is no requirement to believe in G-d; the requirement is to follow, as best as you can, G-d's 613 Mitzvot (Commandments).
I mean absolutely no disrespect but where is the sense in that? To follow a bunch of rules, but not the ONE who commanded them
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-14-2011, 03:27 PM
 
9,343 posts, read 16,403,007 times
Reputation: 4209
Quote:
Originally Posted by Word1 View Post
God, Jesus Christ and the Holy Spirit are one in the same with three different distinct offices or set of responsibilites.
That's the Christian view, totally rejected as idolatry by the Jewish view.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-14-2011, 03:28 PM
 
4,083 posts, read 2,494,925 times
Reputation: 779
Quote:
Originally Posted by gospelsaves View Post
I'm going to have to tell my friend Seth he is no longer a Jew because he believes in Jesus. Man his family is going to be UPSET when they find that out! I'm pretty sure somebody is his family was in the holocaust, and I know for a fact that he celebrates Jewish holidays. And his family line of year upon years of Jewish history....all gone.

I may have to get you to talk to him and explain how all that vanished when he decided to follow Jesus, cuz I'm sure he is going to have a few questions for you.

If his family still follows Judaism I imagine they are more upset that he turned his back on Judaism and became Christian. Families are often torn apart when this happens because then the Messianic Jew wants to convert his family because he sees them as going to hell.


Technically he is a Jew if he was born a Jew but he is not in the Jewish family because he has committed apostasy and turned his back on his people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-14-2011, 03:32 PM
 
2,933 posts, read 1,317,638 times
Reputation: 590
Quote:
Originally Posted by gospelsaves View Post
And my reply to you will remain (since I can't have an opinion) those FLUENT Hebrew speaking , TORAH reading Jews....who have just as many letters behind their name as some of you do in this forum....who believe in Jesus...what about them? And don't say those people do not exist because I know one.

My friend Seth is a Jew who has more letters behind his name than probably you or I combined. Who speaks Hebrew fluently, and who has read the Torah, Bible, Koran and who knows what else... and can go head to toe with anyone on the semantics of Hebrew. I know becasue I've heard him. I'm not saying I can, but I know people who can. What about these Jewish people who believe in Jesus.

You telling me they are not smart enough to have done reseach themselves on the topic and they must just be blindly following us Christians?

Supprise there are some of YOUR own people who are just as smart as you are who can speak Hebrew just as fluently as you can...and who have some to a different conclusion than you. Can they have a VALID point?
Quote:
Originally Posted by gospelsaves View Post
And now you can't be Jewish if you believe in Jesus. Now somebody is just going to take away your ethnicity! No matter how many generations a person can trace their line to...doesn't matter. Doesn't matter if they had family in the holocaust...irrelevant right? If they believe in Jesus they are not a Jew that is what your saying? Forget their years upon years of Jewish heritage.

You're making some assumptions here - that I'm Jewish or a Christian. I am neither. So enough with that business of "YOUR people", okay? I'm not Ugaritic or Akkadian, either - but that hasn't stopped me from studying their language, culture and religion.

OF course these people can have valid points. Not all of their points will be valid (are anyone's?), and it all depends on whether there is sufficient evidence to back up their claims, and the subject they are discussing. In the scientific community, there must be evidence. Evidence, evidence, evidence. And Biblical scholars try to be scientific - even if it clashes with a strictly devotional approach.

Now- ask some of your friends, with letters behind their names, what they think of your single scholar's Name-Theory. Don't forget to include the contrary evidence I've provided here, or they will do so for me eventually.

And STILL - you cannot tell me the name of the Jewish/Christian scholar you are referencing. Still waiting.

Why are you quoting me as if I said people couldn't be Jewish and worship Jesus? I never said that. Other people are saying that, and I may agree with them from a certain point of view - but I never said that. Why are you asking me, and bringing up the holocaust?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-14-2011, 03:33 PM
 
3,001 posts, read 1,185,091 times
Reputation: 723
Judaism is not a race - it's a religion. How could it be race, since you find Jews who are black, white and all shades in between. You find Jews who are Asian, westernized, olive-skinned in the Middle East. You find Jews in the Northern hemisphere, and in the Southern. There are Jews who speak English, Spanish, Russian, German, and I could go on. Not sure how you can call Jewish a race.

I'm sorry about your friend Seth, but the best he can claim with regard to his Jewishness is that he has relatives who are Jewish, but that he chose to give all that up and become a Chrstian. He also likely gave up his share in the world to come.

No need for him to change his name, though, as like skin color, language spoken and country of residence have no bearing on one's Jewishness, neither does a name. So I guess he's got that going for him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top