Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2011, 08:37 AM

5,346 posts, read 9,854,170 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
Yet, "jw's, mormons, and Baptists", as well as Roman Catholics, are all Christians.

I add Roman Catholic because I once had a heated argument with a Protestant who claimed that Roman Catholics were not Christians.
Not all who claim to be Christians truly are. How many who call themselves "Christian" actually imitate Christ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2011, 09:05 AM

15,501 posts, read 17,073,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999 View Post
Not all who claim to be Christians truly are. How many who call themselves "Christian" actually imitate Christ?
And how does a non-Christian recognize a Christian? They all call themselves Christian, claim to worship Jesus(as), often say they are born again or saved and use some form of book they call the bible usually an updated version of either the KJV or the Douay-Rheims

To myself and probably most non-Christians if a person says they are Christian, we take them at their word and call them Christians.

Old 11-18-2011, 09:08 AM

4,082 posts, read 5,042,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheoGeek View Post
I had mormons show up at my door. It didn't rile me up. I told them they were wrong and watched 'em leave. No biggie.

You don't seem to have a problem telling others you're right though.

Thank you for that.

I have always said that what I see as wrong with Islam and Christianity is that they see themselves as having a truth. I seriously doubt you will find one post from me saying everyone needs to become Jewish to be saved or that I somehow have an exclusive truth.....

What I see about my religion is not a truth and I certainly don't think folks are going to hell for not being part of my faith tradition.

We all have what we see as what is right for us and we need to accept that others have different beliefs and move on.

The world would be a much nicer place if religion was personal and private and treated as such. That people did not think they had to convert others.

Most of the violence and horror has been at the hands of religious people.

Old 11-18-2011, 09:09 AM

939 posts, read 1,024,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
Actually we are not to proselytize, by going dood to door. we are encouraged to stay visible as Muslims and be available to answer questions if asked. Our basic attitude is we do not have the ability to convert anybody, that is only between God(swt) and the individual. We can make information available publicly but not infringe upon a persons privacy.
Likewise, Christians won't "convert" anyone by talking...it's not us that saves, but God saves. He uses us to present the message.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzymom View Post
I have always said that what I see as wrong with Islam and Christianity is that they see themselves as having a truth. I seriously doubt you will find one post from me saying everyone needs to become Jewish to be saved or that I somehow have an exclusive truth.....

What I see about my religion is not a truth and I certainly don't think folks are going to hell for not being part of my faith tradition.

We all have what we see as what is right for us and we need to accept that others have different beliefs and move on.

The world would be a much nicer place if religion was personal and private and treated as such. That people did not think they had to convert others.

Most of the violence and horror has been at the hands of religious people.
If you have 2 different belief systems that believe completely opposite things, how can both be right? Yes, we need to respect each other. There is too much fighting going on in the name of religion--but we can't all be right. True tolerance is the ability to accept someone telling you that you're wrong.

Old 11-18-2011, 09:11 AM

4,082 posts, read 5,042,004 times
Quote:
Likewise, Christians won't "convert" anyone by talking...it's not us that saves, but God saves. He uses us to present the message.

Then stop talking and let G-d work. The world is full of folks who aren't Christian but have a faith tradition.

Old 11-18-2011, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Then stop talking and let G-d work. The world is full of folks who aren't Christian but have a faith tradition.
Jesus left his church with the command to go forth and and preach the Gospel. He's also programmed the desire to do so into my very being. I couldn't stop if I wanted to.

Old 11-18-2011, 09:16 AM

28,091 posts, read 29,952,204 times
Quote:
No...they really aren't. They don't all believe in a divine Jesus.
Well, I won't attempt to speak on behalf of the Jehovah's Witnesses or the Baptists, but Mormons most definitely believe in the divinity of Jesus Christ.

Old 11-18-2011, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Well, I won't attempt to speak on behalf of the Jehovah's Witnesses or the Baptists, but Mormons most definitely believe in the divinity of Jesus Christ.
Who told you that? Are you a mormon? You do realize that they teach he is the brother of Lucifer, the literal physical child of God and Mary? They do not believe him to be God--of one essence with the Father. The mormon Jesus is a much different being than the Jesus of the Bible.

Old 11-18-2011, 09:20 AM

9,341 posts, read 29,680,436 times
Quote:
I seriously doubt you will find one post from me saying everyone needs to become Jewish to be saved ...
Judaism does not hold that Gentiles have to become Jews to go to Heaven, just that Gentiles have to obey the 7 Noahide Commandments.

The interesting point is that Gentiles are judged by a more liberal (more forgiving) standard than are Jews for these 7 Noahide Commandments, which are also included in the 613 Mitzvot (Commandments) that are binding on those who were at Sinai, their descendents and those who voluntarily accept them through conversion.

Old 11-18-2011, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
Judaism does not hold that Gentiles have to become Jews to go to Heaven, just that Gentiles have to obey the 7 Noahide Commandments.

The interesting point is that Gentiles are judged by a more liberal (more forgiving) standard than are Jews for these 7 Noahide Commandments, which are also included in the 613 Mitzvot (Commandments) that are binding on those who were at Sinai, their descendents and those who voluntarily accept them through conversion.
Why did the Pharisees of the 1st Century teach to obey the Mosaic Law instead?

When Nehemiah and Ezra returned from exile, why did they react as they did when the Book of the Law was found?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality