Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2012, 03:35 PM

28,098 posts, read 29,963,441 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterChief View Post
Why again should anyone care what some actor says?
I certainly don't -- either now or when this thread was started three years ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2012, 09:30 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,371,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterChief View Post
Well, Angelina Jolie is an "ambassador" of some sort so, if you look at it that way, Tom Hanks has credibility too. Did I forget to mention Kim Kardashian?

Old 04-13-2012, 12:11 AM

9,616 posts, read 12,917,890 times
Default Oy!

Good catch cledussnow!! WOWEE! A 2009 thread, Impressive!

Back to sleep y'all!

Old 04-13-2012, 12:17 PM

4,486 posts, read 5,224,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antjraf View Post
Tom Hanks, and others of his standing in the entertainment business, have a duty to those who are in control of the industry to spread the un-Godly message to the masses so as to confuse and/or convince the majority of the population that these are forward-thinking, complex modern progressive thoughts which we should all strive to achieve.

He and others are either "useful idiots" (not my term) or willing participants in-the-know who do the bidding of their masters in exchange for the priveleged life of fame and fortune they are living. Are there any superstars who acknowledge and spread the true gospel of Christ Jesus? Why not? I submit that it is because the true gospel runs completely counter to those who are in control of the "entertainment" we are bombarded with.

I am not a mormon nor do I support the mormon religion. The sanctity of biblical marriage should be defended however. Proposition 8 is an attempt to get "man's" law to abide by God's Law. This has shown to be a futile effort throughout history. Bondservants of Christ are not subject to man's law. We have dominion over the earth and all things created by man (governments, fictions in law, constitutions, etc.). This dominion was given to us by Almighty God, our Father in heaven. Recognize this authority and apply it to your life and the wordly babble of an actor means nothing. Seek the Kingdom of God and His word above all others.
God's law has no place in a secular society. It belongs in church, not in our lawbooks.

Old 04-15-2012, 05:41 AM

8,568 posts, read 16,233,536 times
Originally Posted by MasterChief
Quote:
Because they are able to become president of the US of A?
I mean look at Reagan.

And he isn't even as good an actor as Tom Hanks is.

Old 04-15-2012, 11:21 AM

24,621 posts, read 19,165,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
Tom Hanks may be one of the best actors in history, but the real Tom Hanks is an entirely different man altogether. He made headlines today calling Mormons “un-American” because they actively supported Proposition 8, a constitutional amendment banning gay marriage.
I sure the Mormon Anti-Defamation League will get right on it.

And as you might expect, MPAC (Mormon Political Action Committee) is working on making it an hate crime to criticize Mormons.

Satirically...

Mircea

Old 04-15-2012, 11:28 AM

2,468 posts, read 3,131,842 times
Quote:
Tom Hanks may be one of the best actors in history, but the real Tom Hanks is an entirely different man altogether. He made headlines today calling Mormons “un-American” because they actively supported Proposition 8, a constitutional amendment banning gay marriage.
Loaded comment!
And I agree that how this is presented is misleading.
Marriage between a man and a woman is constitutional - anything other legalization of marriage isn't.

Let's define constitutional: "Of or relating to an established set of principles governing a state."
What is the basic unit of the state? FAMILY. Who is the future of the state? CHILDREN.
Marriage's primary purpose in governing the state, is to ensure the safety & well being of children.
After all, children (not spouses) are the future of the state.
If marriage is a religious institution first, why do you "first" need to get a marriage license by the state?
There are studies that clearly show that children need both a mother & father, not just to BE CONCEIVED, but also they need both to have the most balanced upbringing. Legalizing gay marriage is dishonoring mothers & fathers, saying one or the other is not needed, when we know that they are. Currently, gay couples already have "rights" under co-habitation and common law marriage laws. The ONLY reason to legalize gay marriage is to try to force the minority's preferences on the majority & as statistics show, this is NOT in the best interest of the majority & even many of the homosexual minority, considering statistics of STDs & AIDS.

The Mormon church fits all of the definitions of a Moderator cut: edit: Mormon church in that way is "unAmerican"...

Characteristics of a Moderator cut: edit: Mormon church (listed by several organizations, including American Family Foundation)...
1) Requires UNquestioning commitment to leader
2) Questioning, doubt, and dissent are discouraged or even punished
3) Leaders dictate how members should think, feel & act
4) Claims special, exalted status for itself/leaders
5) Polarized us-versus-them mentality
6) Leader is not accountable to any authorities
7) Teaches or implies that its supposedly exalted ends justify whatever means it deems necessary
8) Leadership induces feelings of shame and/or guilt in order to influence and/or control members
9) Preoccupied with bringing in new members.
10) Preoccupied with making money
11) Members are expected to devote inordinate amounts of time to the group and group-related activities
12) The most loyal members feel there can be no life outside the context of the group & fear reprisals to themselves or others if they leave (or even consider leaving) the group.
http://www.prem-rawat-talk.org/forum/up ... istics.htm

Last edited by june 7th; 04-15-2012 at 03:25 PM..

Old 04-15-2012, 11:32 AM

2,468 posts, read 3,131,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
I sure the Mormon Anti-Defamation League will get right on it.

And as you might expect, MPAC (Mormon Political Action Committee) is working on making it an hate crime to criticize Mormons.

Satirically...

Mircea
Are you sure "Satirically"?

Old 04-15-2012, 12:07 PM

896 posts, read 1,864,864 times
I used to think that people, no matter who or where, were entitled to an opinion.

Seems I was wrong.

Old 04-15-2012, 12:42 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
Quote:

Big Hollywood » Blog Archive » Why Does Tom Hanks Single Out Mormons?
I think perhaps he needs to look closer at his state of california which is no Mormon stronghold and rejected gay marriage. perhpaps the best look at even a liberal state where acceptance is not strong of gay marriage. I thnimtheir oppositon of religous beliefs show two things ;they fear being the next jews in a secular society and they see acceptance by religious groups has overcoming protection form thsi fear.Otehr wsie i don;'t see why tehy bother with grpus who have core beleives that see it has a sins and will never recognise it has marriage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality