U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2009, 10:28 PM

2,256 posts, read 3,446,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFactChecker View Post
I see that you intend to discuss the issue with an utter shield of arrogance. I refuse to respond in kind.
This has nothing in the world to do with arrogance, and if you can't get the FACTS straight , you were the one who arrogantly replied to and made fun of 'kdbrich'. You're the one who made the original sarcastic outburst, against someone else, not me. Keep in mind here. This is a specifically designed Combat Thread started for such purpose by somebody from your Church.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFactChecker
Since, from my (admittedly), limited studies of biblical Hebrew, the word gh is more commonly used to refer to a circular object than a spheroid. In fact, there is a better word the author could have used if he meant sphere, rwd. For instance, in the same book, Isaiah 22:18, the word rwd is translated as "ball". If the translators, who should have had a good grasping of Biblical Hebrew, understood gh in this passage to mean sphere, they would have used the greek sfairoeides. If we're doing research, I'd encourage you to do some. Find examples of passages that use gh, like Isaiah 40:22, and add "sphere". I think you will find the results quite enlightening.
Again you don't have your FACTS straight. There is no reason for the translators to use any Greek word , since it was written in Hebrew and and the word does also mean globe or sphere. I do understand of course you don't like that and it does'nt meet your slanted definition of supposed TRUTH.

The Hebrew word "hhug" is defined this way in "A Concordance of the Hebrew and Chaldee Scriptures" by B. Davidson as, "circle, sphere".

As I've stated time and again, this same Hebrew word 'hhug' is used also at Job 22:14 - Darby Translation where if you read , "he walketh on the vault of heavens." Again and I've stated this before, the vault of the heavens is hemispherical as seen from the earth or even like a half globe. Ever been to any Planetarium ???? So the definition fits the same as mentioned in Isaiah. The Hebrew word 'hhug' can simply mean 'circle' in 2 dimensions, or 'sphere' in 3 dimensions.

Job 26:7 also says about our earth: " . . . over empty space, he hangeth the earth upon nothing." or other translations, " . . . over empty space, he suspenses the earth over nothing." Job and the other Bible writters had no way of knowing any of these scientific FACTS.

Bottom line here is that the FACTS & TRUTH can be what so ever you wish them to be FACTCHECKER. No one here is forcing you to believe or not believe anything you don't want. Spin it anyway you see fit.

Again , "What Is TRUTH ???"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2009, 10:39 PM

49,094 posts, read 45,442,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
What moral lessons? Kill your neighbor before he kills you?
killers are suicides if they attack an armed man and cowards if he is unarmed. christians are not doormats. . you know the peter type cutting of an ear of somebody trying to hurt jesus. my kinda guy.

Old 01-20-2009, 10:53 PM

2,256 posts, read 3,446,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
Obviously, the bible was written by those who lacked knowledge.
I agree with this, but I would add that the men who wrote those verses in the Bible had no "had no scientific knowledge". Therein lies the point, the men did'nt understand nor could they possibly understand what we know today with our scientifically advanced society. However the creator of things scientific FACTS did understand all of these things and men wrote them down as these thruths were dictated to them as a secretary. The Bible was not written to be a book of intellectual science, but where it touches on science, it is dead on accurate. Having said this, the Bible also does not teach the mythology of creationism either. That is totally unbiblical, but that's for another one of those mythology threads.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis
Science is progressive. Religion is not. Over the centuries science sure has chipped away at the foundations of religion. Small wonder that religion doesn't like science.
You mean progressive in ways of mankind inventing more sophisticated ways of killing each other and destroying their Earth's own environment ??? You mean like the scientific age of Eugenics and Social Selective Darwinism as used by Nazi Germany, and sterilization programs of the United States, Canada, Sweden, etc, etc, etc ??? How about the bogus "Green Revolution" that contaminated our planet and caused so many birth defects in Humans and the natural world ??? Yeah very progressive!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis
Religion hasn't moved in centuries. Religion just stays in one spot, spinning wheels deeper into the mud while the religious (with closed eyes) believe they are going some where.
I certainly don't hold back on criticism of false religion in my posts and I'll lay blame to where it fits. But perhaps you can be the one to open up a thread as a first for the Atheist/Agnostic side and rather than tearing things around you down, tells us and explain to us how Secularism is going to undo all the evils and correct what's wrong in the world ??? Tells how this world's newly appointed Messiah is going to save our planet's environment, end starvation, end hatred, reverse the Financial crisis and bring true peace, prosperity and security to ALL of mankind!!!

Again, "What Is TRUTH ???"

Old 01-20-2009, 11:12 PM

22,798 posts, read 10,578,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
Obviously, the bible was written by those who lacked knowledge. Had it been handed down from god such factual errors could not have been made.
The bolded portion is absolutely correct . . . but the conclusion is a persistent and erroneous understanding of the whole divine inspiration phenomenon. This is predominantly due to the left-brain focus of our education system and the paucity of understanding about right-brain processes and perceptions. Nothing from the right brain is verbal or sequential . . . it is holistic and experiential (visual, tactile, feelings,"knowing" etc.). It must be translated into words and descriptions which are usually wholly inadequate to the task . . . (even today for adepts . . . like moi ). To expect such barbarous minds to correctly decipher what they received in right brain fashion (intuition, inspiration) is ludicrous. They could not help but translate them into terms that made sense in their cognitive context and understanding of the world. That does NOT mean they were not inspired. The "knowing" type of right brain perception is particularly tricky to communicate because of its holistic and all-encompassing nature (not easily verbalized or broken down into specifics).

Old 01-21-2009, 05:37 AM

4,137 posts, read 9,914,753 times
Quote:
This is a specifically designed Combat Thread started for such purpose by somebody from your Church.
You have to be joking. I started the thread, and I am against most of the Bible and would not be caught dead in any church.

As far as a Combat thread, I think it is important for all to know the truth about the Bible. This truth is often hidden from Christians who seldom read their Bible, and if they do, they don't really stop to think about these things that God has done.

Even when I was a Jehovah's Witness I thought we knew the Bible better than anyone else, but the truth is, we didn't read the Bible, just the scriptures that the Watchtower Society had us read, things to support them. As a Babtist before that or even as a Lutheran, I never read the Bible, just listened to sermons and their teachings.

Old 01-21-2009, 07:59 AM

11,441 posts, read 8,833,585 times
Blue
Scientific knowledge has been used to create more powerful, destructive weapons. That's the tragic side. By science being progressive we have much more accurate data about the world around us. How that is used is not always progressive, nor to the benefit of civilization. Science is not the culprit.
But science has made many discoveries since the bible was written. These discoveries show errors in the bible, which would indicate that the bible was written without any guidance from a god and cast doubt on the existence of a god.

Truth is something humans do not want to know.
Seeking truth is a matter for philosophy, not for religion.

Old 01-21-2009, 08:29 AM

21,572 posts, read 27,335,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie Jo View Post
Rabbits do not chew their cud

Lev 11:6 And the hare, because he cheweth the cud, but divideth not the hoof; he is unclean unto you.

True and a horse is not a cow. A monkey is not a pig.

so?

A hare is a separate species from the rabbit.

Hares do chew their cud.

Quote:
Snails do not melt
Put a dab of salt on a snail or slug and they do melt.

Old 01-21-2009, 10:30 AM

4,437 posts, read 5,835,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
Yeah.. snails don't melt. Osmosis.

Old 01-21-2009, 10:34 AM

24,487 posts, read 17,580,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
True and a horse is not a cow. A monkey is not a pig.

so?

A hare is a separate species from the rabbit.

Hares do chew their cud.

Hares do NOT chew a cud, neither do slugs melt with salt...They dehydrate.

Old 01-21-2009, 10:37 AM

4,669 posts, read 1,482,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Hares do NOT chew a cud, neither do slugs melt with salt...They dehydrate.

semantics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality