U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2009, 04:07 PM

34,990 posts, read 33,911,310 times

Advertisements

Ted Haggard, disgraced former senior pastor of New Life Ministries of Colorado Springs, is the subject of an upcoming HBO documentary, "The Trials of Ted Haggard." Apparently, a theme (maybe the theme, I dont know) of the film is his church community's abandonment of him after his affair with a male prostitute was revealed. (Ted's real-life trials update (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090124/ap_on_re/rel_haggard_new_allegations - broken link))

The documentary is talked about here: THE PULPIT: Haggard opens up about pain - Colorado Springs Gazette, CO
Haggard offered the example of how evangelicals pounced on President Bill Clinton during the Monica Lewinsky scandal rather than reach out to help him heal morally and spiritually.

"When people go through a crash, that is the time to demonstrate the Gospel message," Haggard said in an interview from the road, where he was promoting the "Trials of Ted Haggard," a compelling HBO documentary premiering Thursday. ..."We won't be forgiven if we don't forgive others."
Haggard is a lonely figure in the film. "Gayle and his kids were the only people who wanted to be seen anywhere near him."
Not only his church but other Christian leaders distanced themselves from him - he was ostracized at his moment of direst spiritual need.

I think the meaning and the limits of "forgiveness" is the topic of this thread. I agree with those bolded statements. I think his church should not have put their embarrassment - and, I suppose, revulsion and fear - over the true pain of a fellow Christian. Was his church selfish, or hypocritical? Should it have demonstrated true Christian love, as the Amish schoolhouse community did?
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2009, 04:22 PM

29,183 posts, read 18,451,264 times
I would totally agree with what you wrote. One problem I have with Haggard is he preached against homosexuality during the same three years he was regularly seeing a male prostitute. This is why the male prostitute came forward. He was angry with Haggards hypocrisy. I guess there is something to forgiving others as you have forgiven them and not to judge others.

As a result, Haggard will spend the rest of his life struggling between a gay sexual tendency and a belief that it is sinning. He may be alone and at conflict with himself his entire life.

Old 01-24-2009, 04:27 PM

733 posts, read 4,091,108 times
Good luck with this topic. It must hit a nerve among the conservative fundamentalists. I started the same thread on January 17 [Ted Haggard, contrition & forgiveness...]with zero replies to date.

Old 01-24-2009, 04:45 PM

7,916 posts, read 16,429,401 times
I can't say that I feel very sorry for the man. Can you imagine the shame and humiliation that his family members must feel everyday and the realization by his wife that he was sneaking around and having sex with men while he attacked people who were openly gay and simply being honest about it?

Old 01-24-2009, 04:57 PM

6,715 posts, read 12,056,157 times
Personally, I always found Ted Haggard to be a disreputable, arrogant and self-righteous canker-blossom and I personally have no sympathy towards the man. He stood in front of thousands every week and spread a message of intolerant hate speech about the depravities of homosexual immorality to pad his wallet and his pockets; only for us to find out that he participated in the very thing he spoke out against.

He is a disgusting, filthy, vile creature who deserves everything he has gotten. Having sympathy for him is no better than having sympathy for any progenitor of hate speech and prejudicial rhetoric.

At the very least, he should have become a Catholic Priest. That way, when he was found out to be smoking meth and having sex with boys and men he could have an organization adept at covering it up and the money to pay for the lawsuits to follow.

Old 01-24-2009, 05:16 PM

13,469 posts, read 21,238,019 times
Have you ever noticed that none of these "Haggard" type guys ever admit, repent, or ask forgiveness until they get caught? Then they usually lie, lie, deny, deny until some victim or partner in sin proves their sin..Only then do they come forward with Swaggarty tears of embarrassment for being caught and the loss of millions as great church leaders....

Old 01-24-2009, 05:27 PM

29,183 posts, read 18,451,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Blue View Post
Have you ever noticed that none of these "Haggard" type guys ever admit, repent, or ask forgiveness until they get caught? Then they usually lie, lie, deny, deny until some victim or partner in sin proves their sin..Only then do they come forward with Swaggarty tears of embarrassment for being caught and the loss of millions as great church leaders....
Yes! I have noticed. There is nothing genuine about them. They preach morality and sin yet know nothing about love, truth, and being humble.

Old 01-24-2009, 05:28 PM

55,237 posts, read 72,564,739 times
its ok to reach out but you gota keep your hands to yourself.

Old 01-24-2009, 05:42 PM

7,270 posts, read 16,878,607 times
That seems to be the thing with the large majority of Christians I know. They love to have affairs but see nothing wrong with it until they're caught in the act and then it's a bunch of drama about how sorry they are. They use the famous 70's cliche', 'the devil made me do it' and then laugh it off and continue to do it again.
Ah, gimme a break.
(I'm not talking about ALL Christians, just most)

Old 01-24-2009, 06:17 PM

706 posts, read 1,087,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSTroop View Post

At the very least, he should have become a Catholic Priest. That way, when he was found out to be smoking meth and having sex with boys and men he could have an organization adept at covering it up and the money to pay for the lawsuits to follow.

Or a Jehovah's Witness
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality