U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-24-2009, 03:36 PM
 
Location: Nashville, Tn
7,916 posts, read 16,404,207 times
Reputation: 5442

Advertisements

The other day it was mentioned on one of the threads that God used his finger to write the words to the Ten Commandments on stone tablets which got me to thinking about the concept that we are made in God's image. Consider this fact, that would mean that God would resemble a land mammal, or more specifically, a bipedal primate, because that's what man is. When you stop and think about our physical bodies they're obviously suited for a specific type of environment. We have noses to breathe in oxygen, eyes and ears so we can see and hear. Our mouths are an incredibly talented orafice. We can breathe out of them, they're lined with teeth so we can chew food and eat (usually), we can also drink, we can speak from our voice box with the aid of our clever tonques which also can taste our food. They can even be trained to play a wind instrument and also can kiss and engage in other erotic activities that I dare not mention on this forum. But I digress. Why would a God need to be able to do any of those activities or any other skill that is necessary to exist for a hairless ape like ourselves?
We also often think of God as a being who exists in every place at the same time which is very different from a God with a humanlike body. Also, we can't even see God and no one has even captured a photo of the Big Fella. Another puzzling thought is that if God resembled man would he also be about the same size as an average individual or would he be really big since afterall, he is God? The more I think about this, the less sense it makes to me. Can anyone explain to me why a God would need to resemble a specific primate species that looks alot like us?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-24-2009, 03:40 PM
 
Location: Log home in the Appalachians
10,494 posts, read 10,072,475 times
Reputation: 6838
It would be my guess that whoever wrote that passage was very possibly looking at his own reflection and needed to somehow explain how the so-called supreme being had to look like when asked......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-24-2009, 03:45 PM
 
706 posts, read 1,313,252 times
Reputation: 308
I think the most plausible interpretation of the Bible comes from them UFO nuts (ex. the RaŽlians) who believe that "Elohim" were aliens and they genetically engineered or otherwise interfered with the evolution of life on earth using their DNA as base.

(Hey, I didn't say it was "plausible" as in worth believing, just less implausible than all the other religious bull.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-24-2009, 03:49 PM
 
Location: Midwest
29,112 posts, read 18,394,570 times
Reputation: 6956
Good question! It is doubtful that we were made in God's image in a physical sense. We have sinned, so we were not made in God's image in a moral sense. I wonder if it means that we have free will to determine our own destiny.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-24-2009, 04:18 PM
 
2,633 posts, read 4,451,128 times
Reputation: 586
God is actually a super technological human.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-24-2009, 07:00 PM
 
Location: God's Country
21,417 posts, read 29,545,781 times
Reputation: 29927
Obviously God did not create us exactly like Himself because He has no physical body. But we are reflections of God's glory. It is our entire self that reflects the image of God. We have the ability to reflect His character in our love, patience, forgiveness, and kindness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-24-2009, 09:20 PM
 
Location: Salt Lake City
21,275 posts, read 20,883,681 times
Reputation: 9954
I believe that we are literally created in God's image. Yup, that means I believe God has an image. The Bible says that Jesus was in the "express image of His Father's person," which would be possible only if His Father had the form of a person. In other words, I believe that Jesus looks exactly like His Father. Genesis describes the physical creation of the earth and all its inhabitants. It is within this context that the creation of man is described. God created each of the animals and ordained that they would all reproduce "after their kind." In the very next verse, He says, "Let us make man in our image, after our likeness." For some reason, people feel the need to switch gears at this point. Up until now, everybody's very comfortable with the Biblical account of the creation meaning what it says. Suddenly, with this one verse, it becomes figurative. Then, a few brief chapters later, we're hold that Adam had a son and that this son was "in his image, after his likeness." We're back to a literal interpretation again. In other words, Adam's son resembled Adam -- physically. They were of the same species.

Yes, I know my perspective is not a common one, but there is far more Biblical evidence to support it than there is to support the notion that God is an invisible essence which fills the universe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-24-2009, 09:53 PM
 
37,508 posts, read 25,243,901 times
Reputation: 5857
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
I believe that we are literally created in God's image. Yup, that means I believe God has an image. The Bible says that Jesus was in the "express image of His Father's person," which would be possible only if His Father had the form of a person. In other words, I believe that Jesus looks exactly like His Father. Genesis describes the physical creation of the earth and all its inhabitants. It is within this context that the creation of man is described. God created each of the animals and ordained that they would all reproduce "after their kind." In the very next verse, He says, "Let us make man in our image, after our likeness." For some reason, people feel the need to switch gears at this point. Up until now, everybody's very comfortable with the Biblical account of the creation meaning what it says. Suddenly, with this one verse, it becomes figurative. Then, a few brief chapters later, we're hold that Adam had a son and that this son was "in his image, after his likeness." We're back to a literal interpretation again. In other words, Adam's son resembled Adam -- physically. They were of the same species.

Yes, I know my perspective is not a common one, but there is far more Biblical evidence to support it than there is to support the notion that God is an invisible essence which fills the universe.
This carnal interpretation is indicative of the tenacity and power of our carnal nature. No amount of exhortation that the bible is for SPIRITUAL edification seems to have any effect. The carnal interpretations abound and seem ineradicable. We have entire threads debating carnal issues like sex, etc. and the entire focus of sin seems tied inextricably to carnal matters. Satan has done his job well . . . keeping our focus off the important spiritual development of our CONSCIOUSNESS . . . our thoughts, feelings and attitudes toward God, Jesus and each other in LOVE. "Why as if still living in the world . . ."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-24-2009, 10:36 PM
 
Location: Salt Lake City
21,275 posts, read 20,883,681 times
Reputation: 9954
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
This carnal interpretation is indicative of the tenacity and power of our carnal nature. No amount of exhortation that the bible is for SPIRITUAL edification seems to have any effect. The carnal interpretations abound and seem ineradicable. We have entire threads debating carnal issues like sex, etc. and the entire focus of sin seems tied inextricably to carnal matters. Satan has done his job well . . . keeping our focus off the important spiritual development of our CONSCIOUSNESS . . . our thoughts, feelings and attitudes toward God, Jesus and each other in LOVE. "Why as if still living in the world . . ."
God didn't create anything carnal, and there is nothing inately carnal about the human form.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-24-2009, 10:39 PM
 
37,508 posts, read 25,243,901 times
Reputation: 5857
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpur
god didn't create anything carnal, and there is nothing inately carnal about the human form.
qed.

Last edited by MysticPhD; 01-24-2009 at 10:58 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top