U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2009, 03:15 PM

29,436 posts, read 18,678,408 times

Advertisements

God does not tempt us. Child sacrifice is clearly wrong and noted so in many other places in the bible.

Lead Us Not Into Temptation

Abraham was probably feeling tremendous guilt for sending Hagar and Abraham's other son Ishmeal out of his camp. This act would have meant certain death to these two and Abraham knew this. (What Abraham didn't know was God sent an angel to save their lives.)

Sacrifice was a way of appeasing guilt at that time. Abraham had to up the ante, so to speak, by sacrificing his other son, Isaac, in order to appease his tremendous guilt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2009, 03:42 PM

1,362 posts, read 4,141,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post

Abraham was probably feeling tremendous guilt for sending Hagar and Abraham's other son Ishmeal out of his camp. This act would have meant certain death to these two and Abraham knew this. (What Abraham didn't know was God sent an angel to save their lives.)
And thus began Islam! Yay!

Old 01-26-2009, 03:49 PM

21,454 posts, read 29,718,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jroyals View Post
No his employer did. You are the one who dosen't get it.
Praise God I do get it!

Old 01-26-2009, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
Praise God I do get it!
No you don't.

If you had the same kind of faith Abraham supposedly had your husband would give up his job, stop paying your bills, move out of your house, give up your car, give up everything (like Abraham was asked to do with his son) and see how long it takes for god to do something for you.

And I'm not talking about this "mysterious ways" nonsense. If people try to give you food, refuse it. If someone offers you a job, don't take it. If someone tries to give you a place to stay, don't take it. Those people are providing for you, not god. If god is the provider and rewarder of faith you say he his he should be able to just magic something up for you.

Old 01-26-2009, 04:50 PM

21,454 posts, read 29,718,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTO Luv View Post
No you don't.

If you had the same kind of faith Abraham supposedly had your husband would give up his job, stop paying your bills, move out of your house, give up your car, give up everything (like Abraham was asked to do with his son) and see how long it takes for god to do something for you.

And I'm not talking about this "mysterious ways" nonsense. If people try to give you food, refuse it. If someone offers you a job, don't take it. If someone tries to give you a place to stay, don't take it. Those people are providing for you, not god. If god is the provider and rewarder of faith you say he his he should be able to just magic something up for you.
Yes I do! You're one confused and trying to twist things around. But if God told me to do those things, I would because I KNOW He would provide for me just as He provided the ram for Abraham. Just because we are Christians does not mean we are stupid. I trust God, but I still look both ways when I cross the street and I still keep my eyes open when I drive. And by the way, God is not a magic genie.

Old 01-26-2009, 05:01 PM

Don't act as if I or others don't understand your logic. I, as well as I'm sure others were, were strong believers at one point. I understand your thought process. But to say that it's god providing you all these things is fallible. How then are non-believers or believers of other faiths in the same position as your family and they to get the exact same opportunities and things given them to you do without god on their side?

Old 01-26-2009, 05:06 PM

512 posts, read 619,197 times
So all those christians out there who say they would follow through with God's plan because they know that their child will be brought back to life. What if God didn't stop you and you have sacrificed your child. Is it still God's plan?

Is that what you will tell the police?

Old 01-26-2009, 05:52 PM
BST

451 posts, read 1,026,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornOKThe1stTime View Post
So all those christians out there who say they would follow through with God's plan because they know that their child will be brought back to life. What if God didn't stop you and you have sacrificed your child. Is it still God's plan?

Is that what you will tell the police?
I doubt the police or the DA or the judge would fall for that alibi.

And quite honestly, I have trouble following some of the easiest commandments...I really doubt I'd be pulling that knife out in a heartbeat. But that's the big difference between Abraham and me. He gets to be a Father of Nations, not I.

Fortunately, neither you nor I have to sacrifice one of our kids. I believe God has done that for us.

Old 01-26-2009, 06:15 PM

7,916 posts, read 16,501,146 times
BST wrote:
Quote:
Fortunately, neither you nor I have to sacrifice one of our kids. I believe God has done that for us.
I hate to bring this up but you made a glaring error on your post. This very thread is about God asking Abraham to do exactly that, sacrifice one of his children. If God already had planned to sacrifice Jesus for all of mankind then why would he have to ask Abraham to do the same thing?

Old 01-26-2009, 06:34 PM
BST

451 posts, read 1,026,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
BST wrote:

I hate to bring this up but you made a glaring error on your post. This very thread is about God asking Abraham to do exactly that, sacrifice one of his children. If God already had planned to sacrifice Jesus for all of mankind then why would he have to ask Abraham to do the same thing?
I believe a) it was a test of Abraham's character, and b) it would prophesy about what God had planned for the future.

I interpreted the postulation to be about whether you or I, in the present, would kill one of our kids for God. Answering in the here-and-now I choose to take the "God's already done that" stance.

Were I in Abraham's shoes then, I honestly don't think I would have passed that test. I don't think I could have done what Isaac did, for that matter. He carried the wood for the burnt offering up the mountain.

The lesson is found when Isaac asks his father, "Where's the offering?" Abraham - knowing he's operating under commands to kill Isaac - tells his son, "God will provide."

Indeed a ram was there as a substitute for Isaac's life that day. I believe Jesus was there as a substitute for mine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality