U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2009, 06:58 PM

7,916 posts, read 16,446,664 times

Advertisements

BST wrote:
Quote:
I believe a) it was a test of Abraham's character, and b) it would prophesy about what God had planned for the future.
I think you answered my question pretty well from a Christian perspective but do you find this story to be disturbing like I do? In this situation God appears to be a sadistic monster no matter how much his behavior is explained away. I have come to the conclusion that a God who is prone to asking parents to kill their children is not a real God at all. I believe that this is additional proof that the Christian God is a manmade entity and that the writings from centuries ago reveal that God has made some improvements in his personality just as human beings have done. People don't tend to sacrifice their children in this day and age and I'm just glad I wasn't born a couple of thousand years ago. Have you noticed that God has been behaving better lately and so have human beings?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2009, 09:39 PM

4,047 posts, read 4,388,044 times
I'd still like to know what good comes from practicing obedience in spite of morality. I mean, aside from the obvious benefit to people who seek to control others.

It seems like the "moral" of the story is to blindly follow regardless of your morals. Isn't that just what Abraham did by disregarding everything he cared about in order to please his "master"?

Old 01-26-2009, 10:35 PM

3,586 posts, read 5,357,566 times
Well, if I had abrahams faith, I would have done the same, because I would have had the faith to know that God would prepare a sacrafice in place of my son. That is what faith is all about, trusting God.

Old 01-26-2009, 10:44 PM

21,439 posts, read 29,621,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawn_2828 View Post
Well, if I had abrahams faith, I would have done the same, because I would have had the faith to know that God would prepare a sacrafice in place of my son. That is what faith is all about, trusting God.
Yes me too. Like I said before Abraham knew he would return with his son, he said WE will be back, he didn't know how, but he trusted God.

Old 01-26-2009, 10:46 PM

3,031 posts, read 7,887,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
Yes me too. Like I said before Abraham knew he would return with his son, he said WE will be back, he didn't know how, but he trusted God.
Right, because it's impossible that he was lying to his son in order to easily get him up the mountain.

Old 01-27-2009, 07:49 AM

4,047 posts, read 4,388,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawn_2828 View Post
Because obedience is more important than your moral principles? Don't forget, it could be Satan tricking you!

Old 01-27-2009, 09:55 AM
BST

451 posts, read 1,022,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
BST wrote:

I think you answered my question pretty well from a Christian perspective but do you find this story to be disturbing like I do? In this situation God appears to be a sadistic monster no matter how much his behavior is explained away. I have come to the conclusion that a God who is prone to asking parents to kill their children is not a real God at all. I believe that this is additional proof that the Christian God is a manmade entity and that the writings from centuries ago reveal that God has made some improvements in his personality just as human beings have done. People don't tend to sacrifice their children in this day and age and I'm just glad I wasn't born a couple of thousand years ago. Have you noticed that God has been behaving better lately and so have human beings?
Thanks, a Christian's perspective is indeed all I have. I tend to focus on all the foreshadowing that's found in the Old Testament and relate it to the Gospel that's revealed in the New Testament.

I have to rebut your statement that God is prone to asking parents to kill their children. Apart from Abraham (whose sacrifice was aborted) and God's own offering of Jesus on the cross...who else has been commanded to kill their own child? If Abraham is the only mortal who received such a command...I think saying God is 'prone' to murdering children is a vast overstatement.

Maybe God and human beings are behaving better lately because the time for sacrificing has been fulfilled. I don't believe God has a blood lust. I believe He has a definite standard for how wrongs are to be compensated, and in the end, has a great desire for all to be reconciled.

Old 01-27-2009, 10:05 AM
BST

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuSuSushi View Post
Right, because it's impossible that he was lying to his son in order to easily get him up the mountain.
LOL What do you think he would have told Sarah if he'd actually come back without Isaac? The dingoes ate your baby!

I believe the account of Abraham and Isaac. Abraham is the archetypical man of faith. There are lessons there that help me find peace and serenity in troubled times.

Old 01-27-2009, 10:39 AM

124 posts, read 289,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BST View Post
Thanks, a Christian's perspective is indeed all I have. I tend to focus on all the foreshadowing that's found in the Old Testament and relate it to the Gospel that's revealed in the New Testament.

I have to rebut your statement that God is prone to asking parents to kill their children. Apart from Abraham (whose sacrifice was aborted) and God's own offering of Jesus on the cross...who else has been commanded to kill their own child? If Abraham is the only mortal who received such a command...I think saying God is 'prone' to murdering children is a vast overstatement.

Maybe God and human beings are behaving better lately because the time for sacrificing has been fulfilled. I don't believe God has a blood lust. I believe He has a definite standard for how wrongs are to be compensated, and in the end, has a great desire for all to be reconciled.
How about just one:

Judges 11:29-39

29Then the Spirit of the LORD came upon Jephthah, and he passed over Gilead, and Manasseh, and passed over Mizpeh of Gilead, and from Mizpeh of Gilead he passed over unto the children of Ammon.
30And Jephthah vowed a vow unto the LORD, and said, If thou shalt without fail deliver the children of Ammon into mine hands,
31Then it shall be, that whatsoever cometh forth of the doors of my house to meet me, when I return in peace from the children of Ammon, shall surely be the LORD's, and I will offer it up for a burnt offering.
32So Jephthah passed over unto the children of Ammon to fight against them; and the LORD delivered them into his hands.
33And he smote them from Aroer, even till thou come to Minnith, even twenty cities, and unto the plain of the vineyards, with a very great slaughter. Thus the children of Ammon were subdued before the children of Israel.
34And Jephthah came to Mizpeh unto his house, and, behold, his daughter came out to meet him with timbrels and with dances: and she was his only child; beside her he had neither son nor daughter.
35And it came to pass, when he saw her, that he rent his clothes, and said, Alas, my daughter! thou hast brought me very low, and thou art one of them that trouble me: for I have opened my mouth unto the LORD, and I cannot go back.
36And she said unto him, My father, if thou hast opened thy mouth unto the LORD, do to me according to that which hath proceeded out of thy mouth; forasmuch as the LORD hath taken vengeance for thee of thine enemies, even of the children of Ammon.
37And she said unto her father, Let this thing be done for me: let me alone two months, that I may go up and down upon the mountains, and bewail my virginity, I and my fellows.
38And he said, Go. And he sent her away for two months: and she went with her companions, and bewailed her virginity upon the mountains.
39And it came to pass at the end of two months, that she returned unto her father, who did with her according to his vow which he had vowed: and she knew no man. And it was a custom in Israel,
40That the daughters of Israel went yearly to lament the daughter of Jephthah the Gileadite four days in a year.

Being omnipresent and omnipotent he would know before hand who would have came out of the house first. So he allowed this child to be murdered and burned. The blood god strikes again.

Old 01-27-2009, 11:15 AM
BST

Good one jroyals! Look back at who struck the deal. It was Jepthah's idea, not God's. It teaches me not to bargain foolishly with God. You might lose an eye...or worse!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality