U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2009, 01:01 PM
BST

451 posts, read 1,023,028 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescityleon View Post
..chicken is no longer food. You probably are not aware
the Bible I read comes with an 800- hot- line direct to the Author

JE:33:3 call on me and I will show you.Washington did it...Einestien did it Pascal did it.............are you related to any of these. Are you a
Fool in your heart? PS:14:1
No, I'm trying to be more like this 'fool.' Matthew 11:15-19
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2009, 01:26 PM

3,586 posts, read 5,359,370 times
God did not make the deal, he did

Old 01-27-2009, 03:00 PM

2,529 posts, read 3,801,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTO Luv View Post
No you don't.

If you had the same kind of faith Abraham supposedly had your husband would give up his job, stop paying your bills, move out of your house, give up your car, give up everything (like Abraham was asked to do with his son) and see how long it takes for god to do something for you.

And I'm not talking about this "mysterious ways" nonsense. If people try to give you food, refuse it. If someone offers you a job, don't take it. If someone tries to give you a place to stay, don't take it. Those people are providing for you, not god. If god is the provider and rewarder of faith you say he his he should be able to just magic something up for you.
This reminds me of the "story" of the man who was in a flood, and stranded on the roof of his house, as the waters continue to rise. A man came by on a canoe and offered him help, he refused, saying, God will provide. Another person came by in a boat and offered him help, again, he refused saying God will provide. Then a helicopter came by and offered help, for the third time he refused, saying God would provide.

The waters eventually rose above him and he drowned. In heaven, he asked God, Why didn't you help me? I had faith in you. God replied, I sent you a canoe, a boat, and a helicopter...what more did you want?

Old 01-27-2009, 04:05 PM

3,651 posts, read 8,141,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper1372 View Post
Let's see how many literal bible believers there are out there who really think about what they believe rather than just blindly following with no thought.
I have met and talked to people of pretty much all beliefs and denominations who fell into this category, including atheists. Happily, they appear to be in the minority in each case.

Old 01-27-2009, 04:47 PM

1,362 posts, read 4,131,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzjamiedawn View Post
This reminds me of the "story" of the man who was in a flood, and stranded on the roof of his house, as the waters continue to rise. A man came by on a canoe and offered him help, he refused, saying, God will provide. Another person came by in a boat and offered him help, again, he refused saying God will provide. Then a helicopter came by and offered help, for the third time he refused, saying God would provide.

The waters eventually rose above him and he drowned. In heaven, he asked God, Why didn't you help me? I had faith in you. God replied, I sent you a canoe, a boat, and a helicopter...what more did you want?
That quite a cop out on God. In the old testament he would have parted a whole sea, sent a column of fire from heaven, sent death to specifically kill only the first born of people. But nowadays god just sends people to do his bidding?

I hope you see the fallacy in your religion. Your god is one of tall tales with no more basis in reality than Pecos Bill or Paul Bunyan with his blue ox. Your god "used" to give physical visible proof but now that the world is more connected it's easier to debunk the ramblings of the unseen whether it's bigfoot, a yetti, or a miracle from a god.

Old 01-27-2009, 07:52 PM

971 posts, read 1,506,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BST View Post
Are there any more instances where God commanded someone to sacrifice their own child? I ask in hopes that I may be educated again on the Bible. I honestly was not aware of Jephthah's daughter.
A few instances, though it's less clear-cut than with Abraham's story. A good search on The Sceptic's Annotated Bible may turn up more.

Quote:
Thou shalt not delay to offer the first of thy ripe fruits, and of thy liquors: the firstborn of thy sons shalt thou give unto me.
(Exodus 22:29)

In his days did Hiel the Bethelite build Jericho: he laid the foundation thereof in Abiram his firstborn, and set up the gates thereof in his youngest son Segub, according to the word of the LORD, which he spake by Joshua the son of Nun.
(Kings 16:34)
And then there's those laws in the Deuteronomy:
Quote:
If thy brother, the son of thy mother, or thy son, or thy daughter, or the wife of thy bosom, or thy friend, which is as thine own soul, entice thee secretly, saying, Let us go and serve other gods, which thou hast not known, thou, nor thy fathers; [...]
Thou shalt not consent unto him, nor hearken unto him; neither shall thine eye pity him, neither shalt thou spare, neither shalt thou conceal him:
But thou shalt surely kill him; thine hand shall be first upon him to put him to death, and afterwards the hand of all the people.
And thou shalt stone him with stones, that he die;
(Deuteronomy 13:6-10)

If a man have a stubborn and rebellious son, which will not obey the voice of his father, or the voice of his mother, and that, when they have chastened him, will not hearken unto them: [...]
And all the men of his city shall stone him with stones, that he die: so shalt thou put evil away from among you; and all Israel shall hear, and fear.
(Deuteronomy 21:18-21)
Of course, you could say "screw the Deuteronomy, I won't stone my rebellious child!". But then you'll have to face the wrath of the Lord: you'll be afflicted by diseases, madness will torment you, wild animals will bite you, and of course...
Quote:
thou shalt eat the fruit of thine own body, the flesh of thy sons and of thy daughters
(Deuteronomy 28:53)

Old 01-27-2009, 08:27 PM

604 posts, read 964,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roxolan View Post
A few instances, though it's less clear-cut than with Abraham's story. A good search on The Sceptic's Annotated Bible may turn up more.

And then there's those laws in the Deuteronomy:
Of course, you could say "screw the Deuteronomy, I won't stone my rebellious child!". But then you'll have to face the wrath of the Lord: you'll be afflicted by diseases, madness will torment you, wild animals will bite you, and of course...

See HERE

Old 01-28-2009, 05:12 PM
BST

451 posts, read 1,023,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roxolan View Post
Schweet! Now, how many more verses which command us to show justice or compassion are in that same chapter of Exodus? Although it's still pretty harsh on witches and those who like bestiality, it's not nearly as one-sided as your argument paints it.

I'm not denying it's there...just encouraging you to seek a more balanced and objective reading of the Bible.

Old 01-28-2009, 05:37 PM

971 posts, read 1,506,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BST
Schweet! Now, how many more verses which command us to show justice or compassion are in that same chapter of Exodus? Although it's still pretty harsh on witches and those who like bestiality, it's not nearly as one-sided as your argument paints it.

I'm not denying it's there...just encouraging you to seek a more balanced and objective reading of the Bible.
Er, I'm not making any argument, you know. I realize that there's good stuff in the bible too. But you did ask
Quote:
Originally Posted by BST
Are there any more instances where God commanded someone to sacrifice their own child? I ask in hopes that I may be educated again on the Bible.
so what kind of answer did you expect?

Old 01-28-2009, 06:05 PM

7,916 posts, read 16,450,051 times
Default Obama Clashes With The Vatican Over Abortion

Sorry, I was trying to start a new thread and put it in the wrong spot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality