U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2009, 07:25 PM

268 posts, read 360,115 times

Advertisements

When I was younger I had a pretty traumatic childhood, I believed in god because I had nothing else and that is what I was brainwashed to believe, finally around 18, 19 I began questioning it and realized it was all a load of crap

I notice the people who abused me however are still stead fast in their belief

Also whenever you hear about born again Christians they are usually people who have done something horribly wrong and they need forgiveness

Is there a point for a decent person to be religious, do you have to be evil or have some horrible skeletons in your closet in order to be a believer?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2009, 07:30 PM

55,237 posts, read 72,402,860 times
i dont know i guess its how we perceive good and evil.
i see god as good, life truth, love, principle soul, spirit, mind
i see evil as its opposite.
people use the same words but mean different things.
i think i am religious. am i evil?
lots of people dislike me, but most respect me.
you dont know me but you dont like me but youve never walked the streets of bakersville dwight yokum sing it

Old 01-25-2009, 07:43 PM

4,213 posts, read 4,899,792 times
Alot of times it takes something dramatic or evil to make someone understand they need a Savior. I have done some evil things in my life before I was saved but that had nothing to do with my salvation. I didnt want to be saved, I was content in my sins and looking forward to hell if it existed. Jesus saved me kicking and screaming, but once he opened my eyes to the truth I realized that this world was nothing more than a testing ground and that Jesus was the cheat sheet. I guess if you are really seeking the truth and God deams you as ready, He will share that truth with you.

Old 01-25-2009, 08:49 PM

1,667 posts, read 8,151,116 times
This is an interesting observation. Church is not a meeting place for saints. It is for sinners. And, who are they? "For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God" (Romans 3:23). Isn't it coincidental that there's a biblical verse for every dilemma? The term "religious" could simply mean fervent or zealous. It doesn't necessarily imply that one is Heaven bound. I could say that your questioning your religion opened the door for "the enemy", but I won't. However, please have an open mind. Christians aren't perfect, just forgiven.

Old 01-26-2009, 04:12 AM

4,469 posts, read 6,160,640 times
You needn't be evil to be a person of faith. Actually, you needn't be Christian to be a person of faith, either, though this Christocentric society seems to forget that point a lot.

Old 01-26-2009, 07:05 AM

4,997 posts, read 13,540,476 times
I know a lot of evil (for lack of a better word) people that go to church and think that they are saved and don't even realize that they are evil. in fact they are often self-righteous. many have joined a church and so now believe that they are saved but continue to behave as usual. they then tend to be very rejecting of others that are not in their faith, who are gay, who are not in their political party, you name it. but then there are Christians who are very good and kind, and i tend to think they may have always just been like that. Why? because it takes a lot of work to change your personality, your beliefs, to learn to love all races and to not think that only your religion is accepted by God. Then I see people in various religions who act so sweet and kind on the outside but you better not rile them because they are just faking their outside appearance. And in some relilgions if you do something wrong, you can see all that love that was given to you go right out the door, and lo and behold you are shunned by all. This happens in most religions to one degree or another. But those that have love and are not ruled by fear do not engage in the shunning.

Old 01-26-2009, 07:35 AM

4,469 posts, read 6,160,640 times
I think the thing is, there are jerky Christians in about the same proportion as jerky anybody-else. Thing is, some Christians (and in this country, it is predominantly Christians; I expect in Saudi Arabia there are a bunch of creepy Muslims, and in India, creepy Hindus) spend so much time telling the world how much better they are than the rest of us, that we expect them to live up to it.

Old 01-26-2009, 07:39 AM

Location: In the North Idaho woods, still surrounded by terriers
2,178 posts, read 6,150,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie Jo View Post
I know a lot of evil (for lack of a better word) people that go to church and think that they are saved and don't even realize that they are evil. in fact they are often self-righteous. many have joined a church and so now believe that they are saved but continue to behave as usual. they then tend to be very rejecting of others that are not in their faith, who are gay, who are not in their political party, you name it. but then there are Christians who are very good and kind, and i tend to think they may have always just been like that. Why? because it takes a lot of work to change your personality, your beliefs, to learn to love all races and to not think that only your religion is accepted by God. Then I see people in various religions who act so sweet and kind on the outside but you better not rile them because they are just faking their outside appearance. And in some relilgions if you do something wrong, you can see all that love that was given to you go right out the door, and lo and behold you are shunned by all. This happens in most religions to one degree or another. But those that have love and are not ruled by fear do not engage in the shunning.

Good post, Mattie (rep to you), but, actually, it is not possible to change your personality, no matter what you do. You also cannot force yourself to believe something (although you can talk the talk) nor can you force yourself to love others. You CAN learn to "accept & respect" others and you CAN learn to make better decisions in life. This goes for Christians, Atheists and everything in between.

Old 01-26-2009, 07:42 AM

1,577 posts, read 3,266,067 times
I think you need to have a healthy fear of the unknown after death to be religious. If you can just accept that death is the final chapter of life and learn from that to make the most of life while you have it, then you shouldn't need to pray to mythological creatures to get you through the day.

Old 01-26-2009, 07:59 AM

2,333 posts, read 2,442,246 times
It's not "be evil". It's just accuse other people of lying in inopportune situations. Another thing is; the decision to one's right starts with wanting a job, wanting inexpensive means of transporation, and indeed a private or personal dwelling.

Freedom is never an option, and as for education; we really didn't have the right to be educated in our chosen field.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or