Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2009, 04:51 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,464,356 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerotallica View Post
You know what,just for the sake of it yeah!why not let God control us like robots for a while,and show everybody he really does exist instead of hiding all the time.For the first part,I thought God had a plan for us all?So basically he did impose his plan on that child going by what you Christians believe.

Allah... Praise be with him. The compassionate loving Allah.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2009, 05:17 PM

3,086 posts, read 6,272,535 times
Quote:
show everybody he really does exist
Do you believe God exists?

Old 01-27-2009, 05:19 PM

262 posts, read 567,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cg81 View Post
Do you believe God exists?
No I don't.

Old 01-27-2009, 05:21 PM

162 posts, read 467,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beeveenh View Post
Again, read my previous posts.

God ignored this girl? You can't claim to know what God did or did not do anymore than can I. I am relying what I believe to be His word to understand Him, His purposes, His qualities, His plan. You are relying on ???. You don't know that God isn't looking upon the situation with as much disgust and pain as we are.

God would have to step in at every atrocity (including this girl); He can't play favorites, right? If He stepped in at every atrocity from the beginning of time, then humans and Satan's question, or rebellion, is never put to rest. Can humans rule themselves without God? He will step in, no one knows the hour when, and He will put an end to all of this suffering once and for all times.

I really hope that some of this is making sense. I am not sitting here trying to argue MY point. These are things that I find to be truths from the bible. I agree with you 100% that the world and the tragedies that occur everyday are horrific.
Your own words contradict each other. Why, if he can step in, does he not? Why not, and why not now? Why does anyone need to keep suffering? Is your god to busy? Is he watching the latest American Idol? Does he have a brunch appointment to get to?

Just explain that. AGAIN, I, as the OP, asked for a logical explanation as to why any sane person should worship or respect a God who allows child starvation, but apparently you can't offer any. Blind faith has nothing to do with logic, and doesn't answer the question. Please stick to topic, this is not a thread to say "Dont worry God will make it all better LATER. How do I know? Uh, um, I just know!" Thats not logic.

Old 01-27-2009, 05:22 PM

3,086 posts, read 6,272,535 times
Quote:
No I don't.
Then why are you blaming Him for the girl's death?

Old 01-27-2009, 05:37 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,464,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComeBack_Kid View Post
Your own words contradict each other. Why, if he can step in, does he not? Why not, and why not now? Why does anyone need to keep suffering? Is your god to busy? Is he watching the latest American Idol? Does he have a brunch appointment to get to?

Just explain that. AGAIN, I, as the OP, asked for a logical explanation as to why any sane person should worship or respect a God who allows child starvation, but apparently you can't offer any. Blind faith has nothing to do with logic, and doesn't answer the question. Please stick to topic, this is not a thread to say "Dont worry God will make it all better LATER. How do I know? Uh, um, I just know!" Thats not logic.
You sure are posting a lot for someone so concerned. Why are you not at the grocery store or on a plane to Sudan right now?

Old 01-27-2009, 05:48 PM

262 posts, read 567,172 times
Quote:
Then why are you blaming Him for the girl's death?
I am not blaming him for the girls death,I am blaming him for just letting her die and wondering why he lets such attrocities in the world happen when he could do something about it if he was so powerful and great.I have to write the posts the way I do so I can try and be on the same planet as you,so you understand my view easier.No I don't believe there is a God and if I wasn't talking to you I wouldn't look at that picture and think that is Gods fault,I would think it is human fault,but we have to question your reason to believe in the beliefs you do because you seem to believe he fixes everything when there is absolutly no evidence that he does.

Old 01-27-2009, 06:41 PM

4,173 posts, read 6,687,211 times
Quote:
I agree. In fact, God was the only one with that child when she died. She fell asleep in His arms. ....
God must be real busy - there are 26,500 childen who die every day (1 child every 3 seconds) due to preventable causes (disease, poverty, etc):
Today, over 26,500 children died around the world — Global Issues

His creation is not very intelligent, is it?

Old 01-27-2009, 06:48 PM

6,712 posts, read 13,460,010 times
Quote:
Folks, the bottom line is:

If you aren't willing to let God control your life, you have absolutely no ground on which to blame Him for your actions.

(Oh, the irony! )
Hey cg81,

I agree with you. To me, it's not necessarily about blaming God for my actions, someone else and their actions, or inaction altogether. To me, it's also not about blaming God for bad things that happen either because I simply do not believe he exists.

Rather, what continues to boggle my mind is how people attribute things in their life to God as though he is interacting in it. People always talk about how "God did this" and "God did that" and "God... God... God..." yet it seems like when you would think he'd be there the most, such as the events that unfolded in the picture, his thundering silence is overwhelming loud.

I cannot fathom, for the life of me, how people can attribute such rather petty things in their lives to divine intervention. Do people really think that a God went out of his way to help someone win a sporting event but forgot about that child in Africa? Do people really think that God answered their prayers of getting that job but forgot about that child in Africa? Do people really think that God interacts in the most petty of ways, interfering, making things better, caring, loving and nurturing his "children" here on the North American, European, and parts of the Asian continents but forgets about Africa all too conveniently?

I think what bothers me the most when I hear people talk about how God interacts in their life is the petty, self-centered and egotistical way that they do it while simultaneously distancing themselves from pictures such as that. I think the anger you are seeing is reflected more upon those who hear people attributing God with all of these 'wondrous' things and yet there's nothing to be seen or heard from when a vulture is about to eat a child.

If we're to say that we live in a free will society, I don't have a problem with that as much as I do in saying that we live in a free will society but God interferes in our lives. The two hand-in-hand negate one another. For every action that you might do or not do, and 'God' allegedly steps in and sends it another direction to benefit you, than that cancels out a plethora of further actions on your behalf all perhaps resulting in the potential for more choices and actions down the road. Simply put, if God tinkers with one iota of your life and alters your perception, changes the way you approached something, than you do not have free will because that shift (the 'Butterfly Effect') changes the outcome of so many different events you couldn't quite possibly imagine how it would affect your 'free will' down the road given that it changed an entirely different subset of criteria in which you would have to simultaneously act upon and react upon.

Thus, my frustration in conversations such as these is that people attribute the heart-wrenching pictures of the poorest of the poor, the hungriest of the hungry and the sickest of the sick as the result of us living in a 'free will society.' Or, more pathetically inexcusable, in my opinion, as the result of a talking snake convincing a naked woman to bite a piece of fruit. Yet, in that same breath, people are almost willing to jump over you to tell you how God interacts in their life while idiosyncratically ignoring hungry vultures about to prey on a sick, starving child.

Old 01-27-2009, 06:54 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,185,973 times
Quote:
I have free will to allow God to lead me.
A priceless quote!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality