U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-27-2009, 08:24 AM
 
Location: Mississippi
6,715 posts, read 12,076,232 times
Reputation: 4274

Advertisements

snopes.com: Kevin Carter
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-27-2009, 08:25 AM
 
Location: Hawaii>SouthLakeTahoe>LA>Vegas>?
162 posts, read 420,074 times
Reputation: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by beeveenh View Post
Because our first human parents wanted to know what life would be like WITHOUT God. They wanted to be able to rule themselves. This picture is a perfect example of why we do need God.

I know why God doesn't intervene, but why didn't the photographer?!?!
That girl needed God, and God was not there; you say you know why God wasnt there, well EXPLAIN why God wasnt there.

As explained earlier, the photographer thought it was ethical at the time to take the photo and leave. He was not the only person there, people were walking by regularly, and it is the cruel, unjust way of life there. While this doesnt make it ok, if nothing else this haunting photograph lives on to show how even if there is a God, HE TURNED HIS BACK ON THIS LITTLE GIRL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-27-2009, 08:29 AM
 
995 posts, read 1,179,221 times
Reputation: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComeBack_Kid View Post
So God has no one to prosecute in his court for those deaths but himself

I'm glad you don't know how to: You basically said that child starvation is ok, because they'll go to heaven. WOuld you let this happen to your child because you know that I don't want anything to do with your logic or way of seeing things, and I hope my children never associate with people like you.
Thanks for proving my point
Sigh...as i'd said before...how to prove anything to one who doesn't believe? Its ok if you dont want your kids or yourself to associate with pple like me. Its doesn't hurt me or God a single atom. Anyway all answers will be found when the terrible Day comes..but by then it'll be too late
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-27-2009, 08:45 AM
 
Location: Montrose, CA
3,031 posts, read 7,896,163 times
Reputation: 1926
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComeBack_Kid View Post
I agree that he should have done something, but it is part of the photographers' code to not get involved in their shots when it comes to this kind of thing. I do not agree with that, and he struggled with it. Unfortunately the anguish over what he should have done is is why he later killed himself.
Oh right. Because they'd kick him out of the Little Photographer's Club if he helped the girl after taking the picture. Please, pull the other one.

Of course photographers shouldn't deliberately set up or fake a photo like that, but there's nothing keeping them from helping a dying person after they take their precious footage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-27-2009, 08:47 AM
 
Location: Hawaii>SouthLakeTahoe>LA>Vegas>?
162 posts, read 420,074 times
Reputation: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuSuSushi View Post
Oh right. Because they'd kick him out of the Little Photographer's Club if he helped the girl after taking the picture. Please, pull the other one.

Of course photographers shouldn't deliberately set up or fake a photo like that, but there's nothing keeping them from helping a dying person after they take their precious footage.
Like I said, I dont agree with what he did. There is no debate about that.

What you call the "Little Photographer's Club" is actually called the Associated Press. He was following their rules as a journalist. Following their rules is why members of the press are allowed access to many places in this world, including war zones, humanitarian crisis spots, and countless others. Its why International law says that journalists following international law are not to be harmed in war; because they do not get involved.

Kevin Carter only gained access to where he was and only had a professional career because of his associations with the foreign press.

The photograph is haunting, and sad, and we all want to help, but do remember that he was not the only person there, and members of the girls' tribe were walking right past where she was. Things are not black and white. You and I agree that what he did was wrong, but I also don't think he is evil. He made a bad choice, but as evidenced by his suicide 3 months later, it was NOT an easy one

Last edited by ComeBack_Kid; 01-27-2009 at 09:07 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-27-2009, 09:04 AM
 
995 posts, read 1,179,221 times
Reputation: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComeBack_Kid View Post
Wow, what a terrible reply. I just shut down your entire post piece by piece and offer you a chance to respond logically, and you do nothing but say "oh well, I believe, so F you, I dont need to explain." THE THREAD STARTED AS A QUESTION. iF YOU HAVE NO IDEA HOW TO ANSWER IT, AND WONT EVEN TRY, THEN LEAVE. You have no place on this forum.
There will be no pleasing you with any answers from a religious point. I'll leave. My point is, as a believer in God, trying to explain to you is like trying to describe the colours of the rainbow to a blind man. How can the blind man understand? Ciao
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-27-2009, 09:18 AM
 
810 posts, read 1,263,594 times
Reputation: 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComeBack_Kid View Post
That girl needed God, and God was not there; you say you know why God wasnt there, well EXPLAIN why God wasnt there.

As explained earlier, the photographer thought it was ethical at the time to take the photo and leave. He was not the only person there, people were walking by regularly, and it is the cruel, unjust way of life there. While this doesnt make it ok, if nothing else this haunting photograph lives on to show how even if there is a God, HE TURNED HIS BACK ON THIS LITTLE GIRL
It is easy to get mad at God and blame Him for all the wrongs and evils of this world. This world we are living in now isn't what He created or intended, though. He didn't create humans and put them in a dangerous impoverished world. No, instead, the earth was a beautiful paradise with an abundance of food.

It was our first human parents who CHOSE to find out what life is like when you don't listen to God's rules. Satan started the rebelllion in Heaven by questioning God's sovereignty...he brought that rebellion to earth. So God is letting us humans see just how well we do on our own. The bible explains how the whole world is lying in the power of Satan. God has allowed these things to happen, but he doesn't cause them or take pleasure in them for that matter. The same disgust and pain we have is probably nothing compared to what God feels about the situation. We have to remember it's OUR big experiment NOT HIS.

Just like with any experiment, if God alters the parameters...then it could "disqualify" the results. Satan already cried foul and claimed that Job only served God because he had a blessed life. God is letting us, under Satan's control, steer this ship.

God is not going to allow this to occur much longer. He will restore the earth and the human race to fullfill His orginal plan.

After reading Troops link about the pic...I understand that the photographer was very affected by the atrocities that he saw. I'm sure after seeing so many, one feels helpless.

Last edited by beeveenh; 01-27-2009 at 09:21 AM.. Reason: typo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-27-2009, 09:20 AM
 
Location: Montrose, CA
3,031 posts, read 7,896,163 times
Reputation: 1926
[quote=ComeBack_Kid;7192634]Moderator cut: orphaned.
As I see it, there are only three logical answers to your question:

1: No gods exist, therefore bad and good things simply happen. This is the answer I favor, though I will be the first to admit there is absolutely no proof either for or against the existence of any deity.

2: Gods exist, but they do not care what happens to humans.

3: Gods exist, and they take pleasure in the suffering of humans.

Considering these options, I prefer and believe #1 to be true, since I have never seen any evidence to suggest to me that a deity of any sort exists. That photographer had the opportunity to be a "god" to that child, by picking her up and taking her to help, and he didn't do it.

Last edited by june 7th; 01-27-2009 at 08:15 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-27-2009, 09:24 AM
 
Location: Nashville, Tn
7,916 posts, read 16,463,793 times
Reputation: 5442
BraderJoe wrote:
Quote:
This world is created as a form of test by God to mankind.
And that means what to this child, that they failed the test?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-27-2009, 09:45 AM
 
810 posts, read 1,263,594 times
Reputation: 194
Quote:
If that is the case then there would not be any need for this world to exist because that kind of scenario will happen - in heaven. This world is created as a form of test by God to mankind.
After much study of the bible, I have never found this to be God's purpose...God created this evil world as a testing ground to see who would go to heaven or hell???

Doesn't the account in Genesis explain God's creation and purpose for the earth and humans? Wasn't it ONLY AFTER Adam and Eve disobeyed God, that they were expelled from the Garden of Eden? Wasn't it ONLY AFTER they disobeyed God, that they lost their perfection and ability to live forever? Again...this world we live in today is not HIS doing. We can see evidence of God in all things created. BUT what man has done with the things created by God is a different story.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top