U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 01-31-2009, 01:55 PM
 
Location: Wandering the halls aimlessly...Hello? Is anyone there?
307 posts, read 409,173 times
Reputation: 129

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerotallica View Post
Don't you Christians say that "God controls all?","God is great?",if God is great and he supposedly controls all shouldn't he be able to feed the starving?.I mean you all pray and for what?he never answers,and for some strange reason you seem to think he does answer.What indication does he give you that makes you think he answered your prayers?If there is a god then he does let it happen.
My son was born..... 'nuff said. Bury a couple of kids and then come see me. Thats one of many reasons why I believe.

Figure out this number and you'll know why I believe in God and all his glory! 28850

God knew my destiny long before I ever had a guess as to where my place is in this crazy world. I'm much stronger with him in my life then when I was without him.

One other thing....God answers prayers. You may not like the answers, but he does answer them.

Its people who give up on faith, themselves, and then humanity who tend to view the world as hopeless. Theres always hope because theres always God. Its much easier not to believe then to actually believe. I believe with all my heart.

There are many blessings in my life, too many to count and my prayers have been answered time and time again.

We touched on why things happen the way they do already. You've got you mind made up that the source of all the worlds problems is God instead of mortal man. What can I say that can change a closed mind? All I can do is give my little testimony about all the good thats been done in his name in my life and leave it at that. I hope someday he touches you the way he has touched me as well as the many millions out there who do good in his name.

I've said it over and over again. Its so easy to place blame somewhere else instead of pointing the finger inward.


Peace
Winter
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-31-2009, 02:23 PM
 
Location: sweden
262 posts, read 480,289 times
Reputation: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by winterscorpion View Post
My son was born..... 'nuff said. Bury a couple of kids and then come see me. Thats one of many reasons why I believe.

Figure out this number and you'll know why I believe in God and all his glory! 28850

God knew my destiny long before I ever had a guess as to where my place is in this crazy world. I'm much stronger with him in my life then when I was without him.

One other thing....God answers prayers. You may not like the answers, but he does answer them.

Its people who give up on faith, themselves, and then humanity who tend to view the world as hopeless. Theres always hope because theres always God. Its much easier not to believe then to actually believe. I believe with all my heart.

There are many blessings in my life, too many to count and my prayers have been answered time and time again.

We touched on why things happen the way they do already. You've got you mind made up that the source of all the worlds problems is God instead of mortal man. What can I say that can change a closed mind? All I can do is give my little testimony about all the good thats been done in his name in my life and leave it at that. I hope someday he touches you the way he has touched me as well as the many millions out there who do good in his name.

I've said it over and over again. Its so easy to place blame somewhere else instead of pointing the finger inward.


Peace
Winter
Are you understanding any of my posts?or are you just quickly scanning through them?From my posts,you have obviously realised that I don't believe in God,so why would I have made my mind up and believe that God is the scource of the worlds problems?I know the worlds problems are created by humans.What I am trying to understand is how you can believe there is a God when he can let so many bad things happen in this world.Yes birth is wonderful but you were the one that made that happen,how did God have anything whatsoever to do with your girlfriend/wife and you having a child?As for the bury a couple of kids remark,I lost 2 of my unborn children and in my eyes that is the same as burying one.I don't see the world as hopeless there are lots of wonderful things in this world,and I don't need to believe in God to give me hope.I am not closed minded,I am a very open minded person,I have tried to look at things the way Christians do,but it just doesn't wash with me,and you know something if there is a God and he touches me anytime in my life then more power to him/her,but for a long,long time and most likely till the day I die I will be a none believer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-04-2011, 04:25 PM
 
2,031 posts, read 2,305,534 times
Reputation: 1375
Quote:
Originally Posted by beeveenh View Post
Because our first human parents wanted to know what life would be like WITHOUT God. They wanted to be able to rule themselves. This picture is a perfect example of why we do need God.

I know why God doesn't intervene, but why didn't the photographer?!?!
Why don't you?

It's happening now, you know. People are starving on Earth today. People who have the luxury of amusing ourselves but logging onto computers and having discussions like these almost invariably can spare enough to save someone(s).

Look, I'm not intervening, either. But then, I don't expect the photographer to have intervened.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-04-2011, 04:28 PM
 
2,031 posts, read 2,305,534 times
Reputation: 1375
Why must a suggested deity be nice?
Why must a suggested deity be rational?

Maybe the Superman In the Sky, if one existed, would be a paranoid, selfish, callous player of twisted mind-games.

It is not logical to refuse to believe in something just because you find that reality unpleasant. I can think of endless unpleasant, even horrific things that I know are real. I don't disbelieve them just because I don't like them.

Now, a complete lack of compelling evidence -- there's your logical rationale for rejecting the superman-in-the-sky...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-04-2011, 05:47 PM
 
5,187 posts, read 5,444,398 times
Reputation: 1612
I agree with the person that mentioned the photographer could have taken action instead of watching the child die, he could have carried it to safety.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-04-2011, 06:35 PM
 
Location: Ohio
13,951 posts, read 10,370,757 times
Reputation: 7232
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComeBack_Kid View Post
I am genuinely curious to see if anyone here who has any measure of faith in any kind of God can explain this. Lets not even think about the holocaust or other mass genocides, all the wars carried out in the name of religion, the murder, rape etc. JUST EXPLAIN THIS PICTURE:



This picture, by noted photographer Kevin Carter, won the Pulitzer Prize in 1994. He took it during a famine in Sudan, Africa. The girl in the picture, near death, is attempting to crawl to a United Nations Food camp located a kilometre away. The vulture behind her is waiting for her to die, so it can eat her, as vultures do when they sense animals near death.

Photographer Kevin Carter left the area immediately after taking the picture, and workers at the United Nations food camp said that on that day no girl of that size came into the camp after the time the photo was taken. We can rationally assume that this child met the fate of so many other children in Africa: starvation and a slow agonizing death. 3 months after the photo was taken, Kevin Carter committed suicide, blaming the "agony and guilt" he felt over doing nothing to help the girl.

SO my question is: IF A SO-CALLED GOD ALLOWS THIS, WHY SHOULD ANYONE WORSHIP OR EVEN RESPECT THAT GOD?!

Make no mistake about it, this kind of thing is happening EVERY. SINGLE. DAY around the world. Innocent children are dying ever single day.

I Would like to hear a logical answer from anyone. "God works in mysterious ways" is not an answer. How about real logic, perhaps by someone with a real college education? Just tell me why I should not just believe in, but worship and obey any God who allows this torture of the innocent.

ANYONE?
First, I think you should have your facts straight or at the very least, tell the entire story. That photo was not the reason he commited suicide but rather, he was facing alot of financial troubles. This, compounded by everything that he had seen in the sudan, lead to his sucide. Read more hear including his suicide note.......
Kevin Carter - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Second, to answer your question, my God does not allow or dis-allow this to happen. I am a deist. My belif is that God created or set in motion this Universe, and is either no longer present, or is just observing. It does not intervene in the affairs of the lowly human.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-05-2011, 08:40 AM
 
Location: Ontario, Canada
2,705 posts, read 2,514,222 times
Reputation: 833
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComeBack_Kid View Post
I am genuinely curious to see if anyone here who has any measure of faith in any kind of God can explain this. Lets not even think about the holocaust or other mass genocides, all the wars carried out in the name of religion, the murder, rape etc. JUST EXPLAIN THIS PICTURE:



This picture, by noted photographer Kevin Carter, won the Pulitzer Prize in 1994. He took it during a famine in Sudan, Africa. The girl in the picture, near death, is attempting to crawl to a United Nations Food camp located a kilometre away. The vulture behind her is waiting for her to die, so it can eat her, as vultures do when they sense animals near death.

Photographer Kevin Carter left the area immediately after taking the picture, and workers at the United Nations food camp said that on that day no girl of that size came into the camp after the time the photo was taken. We can rationally assume that this child met the fate of so many other children in Africa: starvation and a slow agonizing death. 3 months after the photo was taken, Kevin Carter committed suicide, blaming the "agony and guilt" he felt over doing nothing to help the girl.

SO my question is: IF A SO-CALLED GOD ALLOWS THIS, WHY SHOULD ANYONE WORSHIP OR EVEN RESPECT THAT GOD?!

Make no mistake about it, this kind of thing is happening EVERY. SINGLE. DAY around the world. Innocent children are dying ever single day.

I Would like to hear a logical answer from anyone. "God works in mysterious ways" is not an answer. How about real logic, perhaps by someone with a real college education? Just tell me why I should not just believe in, but worship and obey any God who allows this torture of the innocent.

ANYONE?
This doesn't need to happen, and yet it does. Why? Because we let it happen. The choices made by the wealthy and few affect the lives of the starving masses. This picture is what happens when all the sins of mankind come together in a perfect storm of hunger, disease, violence, greed, and indifference. A godless world. A hell on earth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-05-2011, 10:20 AM
 
16,301 posts, read 24,307,280 times
Reputation: 8265
Quote:
Originally Posted by perry335654 View Post
I agree with the person that mentioned the photographer could have taken action instead of watching the child die, he could have carried it to safety.
I nominate your comment as the stupidest in this entire thread for you attempt to hide the fact your god is but a myth and is powerless as you make a desperate attempt to whitewash by attacking the photographer for not taking action. Are you so utterly naive and out of touch with reality that you refuse to recognize this is happening ten's or hundreds of thousands of time, and still is.

The OP posted this picture over 2.5 years ago, and we can see the same scene on the evening news today, if you care to pay attention.

Your god you put so much faith in just does not exist, and the real tragedy is that so many would rather "wish" to that god things were better instead of doing something, anything, for it is better than kneeling with your hands clasps in wishing.

OBTW, you don't know that the photographer didn't attempt to help the child, and the photograph can be a powerful tool to help hundreds of thousands of people in similar plight, at least when viewed by those who's neurons rendered useless by the fantasy of fables
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-05-2011, 10:46 PM
 
5,187 posts, read 5,444,398 times
Reputation: 1612
Quote:
Originally Posted by asheville native View Post
i nominate your comment as the stupidest in this entire thread for you attempt to hide the fact your god is but a myth and is powerless as you make a desperate attempt to whitewash by attacking the photographer for not taking action. Are you so utterly naive and out of touch with reality that you refuse to recognize this is happening ten's or hundreds of thousands of time, and still is.

The op posted this picture over 2.5 years ago, and we can see the same scene on the evening news today, if you care to pay attention.

Your god you put so much faith in just does not exist, and the real tragedy is that so many would rather "wish" to that god things were better instead of doing something, anything, for it is better than kneeling with your hands clasps in wishing.

Obtw, you don't know that the photographer didn't attempt to help the child, and the photograph can be a powerful tool to help hundreds of thousands of people in similar plight, at least when viewed by those who's neurons rendered useless by the fantasy of fables
i nominate most of your post(s) for hatred, you need to take your geritol and get a good night sleep. oNLY AN IMMATURE INDIVIDUAL CALLS PEOPLE NAMES, i THOUGHT YOU WERE 65 aCT YOUR AGE. tHIS ISN'T EVEN YOUR THREAD. I hope I don't act like you when I get your age.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-05-2011, 11:28 PM
 
1,168 posts, read 1,046,343 times
Reputation: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComeBack_Kid View Post
I am genuinely curious to see if anyone here who has any measure of faith in any kind of God can explain this. Lets not even think about the holocaust or other mass genocides, all the wars carried out in the name of religion, the murder, rape etc. JUST EXPLAIN THIS PICTURE:



This picture, by noted photographer Kevin Carter, won the Pulitzer Prize in 1994. He took it during a famine in Sudan, Africa. The girl in the picture, near death, is attempting to crawl to a United Nations Food camp located a kilometre away. The vulture behind her is waiting for her to die, so it can eat her, as vultures do when they sense animals near death.

Photographer Kevin Carter left the area immediately after taking the picture, and workers at the United Nations food camp said that on that day no girl of that size came into the camp after the time the photo was taken. We can rationally assume that this child met the fate of so many other children in Africa: starvation and a slow agonizing death. 3 months after the photo was taken, Kevin Carter committed suicide, blaming the "agony and guilt" he felt over doing nothing to help the girl.

SO my question is: IF A SO-CALLED GOD ALLOWS THIS, WHY SHOULD ANYONE WORSHIP OR EVEN RESPECT THAT GOD?!

Make no mistake about it, this kind of thing is happening EVERY. SINGLE. DAY around the world. Innocent children are dying ever single day.

I Would like to hear a logical answer from anyone. "God works in mysterious ways" is not an answer. How about real logic, perhaps by someone with a real college education? Just tell me why I should not just believe in, but worship and obey any God who allows this torture of the innocent.

ANYONE?

Why do you blame god for what is a human codition brought on by those who are human...They stoll their wealth..and left em for dead...and they are still dying...and the people of that land , have been sold weapons, and the ideal of wealth in their heads or power if they control the masses on that land...and what do they do with them weapons?...they slaughter their own kind....so what should God do?...I say showing how ugly Humankind is...makes us take note of what a tragity it is to be human...Now as Christ says help em...If you are so inclind to do...and don't send em money..it only goes to buying more weapons and never really goes to helping solve the problems they have....money only makes it worse, and there are those who are setup to collect that money who have nothing to do with solving the issues this world faces...it only puts a band aid on things until the wound festers through...that is what we are seeing now...band aids do not work...money does not work...But seeds, education, and knowledge of God, and his word and will done rightly so..(sinlessly)...with no bloodshed, no sin, and no money (engraven Idol) can make a sustainable existance of conformity....if they continue to slaughter one another...then the curse of Cain will always be with them....Just as it is with the rest of the world order...now coming into play...

So wether you like it or not...God and Christ are still teaching ...and I believe it is getting results the hard way...because people do not listen to reason, nor Logics, nor intelligence from the one who created everything......"those who do the will of the father, shall enter Paradise".....those who don't won't.....its that simple...Genesis 2:15 is always in play on a world that is based on it....non compliance of God's word and will only makes it worse to live here!

Now you got something to say about who is selling those people Guns, and knives, and such to slaughter one another with...?...and which monarch had this nation under its control while raping the diamonds and minerals out of the lands?....where is the return?....oh we have to pay it?....why?

Why not those who stoll the wealth?.....and or their way of living....Not God's fault...is it?...didn't think so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top