Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2011, 09:35 PM

4,437 posts, read 4,865,092 times

Advertisements

Many of those preaching at American church services Sunday extolled as “heroes” the 30 American and 8 Afghan troops killed....

They Died in Vain; Deal With It | Common Dreams
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2011, 04:15 AM

23,170 posts, read 26,179,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ted08721 View Post
Many of those preaching at American church services Sunday extolled as “heroes” the 30 American and 8 Afghan troops killed....

Thnaks for the link.It's sobering.

Old 08-09-2011, 04:19 AM

2,256 posts, read 6,954,599 times
It's all perspective. Those people just sitting around thinking you can pray away everything and anything may think they died in vain while those troops trained and fought for something they believed in. In the end unfortunately we're still left with the fools sitting around praying for the flying spaghetti monster to come and save us.

Old 08-09-2011, 05:17 AM

50,087 posts, read 20,691,451 times
I have to say something myself as there are British troops dying out there, too and those from other countries and the Taliban too - they also are human beings. Not to mention civilians caught in the crossfire.

Make no mistake. I have little liking for the Taliban and not just because they destroyed an ancient statue out of religious zeal. I fear for the people of Afghanistan if those people gain control.

But I don't think we have the will, resources or money to win. Already we are trying - not to enable the South Vietnamese Army to hold off the NVA while the US pulled its troops out...ahh..sorry, got a bit of deja vu there...but to make the claim look face - savingly credible that we thought that we could leave it to to Afghan army to keep the Taliban at bay after we'd left.

As I wrote to a US pen pal recently, the difference between the two situations is that the NVA rolled into Saigon in tanks. The Taliban will arrive in Kabul on their mopeds.

While the forces are trying to hold position in Afghanistan, the politicians are trying to find a position that will allow them to pull their troops out without it looking as though they have been defeated, which is the death blow to any expectation of re-election.

And every soldier, Taliban trooper and Afghan civilian killed between now and then will have died in vain, because the faces will not be saved.

Old 08-09-2011, 06:40 AM

4,437 posts, read 4,865,092 times

‪The Box - Kendrew Lascelles - John Denver‬‏ - YouTube

Old 08-09-2011, 07:50 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,270,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgt04 View Post
It's all perspective. Those people just sitting around thinking you can pray away everything and anything may think they died in vain while those troops trained and fought for something they believed in. In the end unfortunately we're still left with the fools sitting around praying for the flying spaghetti monster to come and save us.
Save us from what?

Old 08-09-2011, 09:39 AM

2,705 posts, read 3,119,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ted08721 View Post

Anyone who fights and dies in an illegal/unjustified war has indeed died in vain. Just so much meat for the meat-grinder that is the American MIC. I still can't reconcile in my heart or in my mind how to support the (well-intentioned) troops of misguided, dishonest, and futile military aggression. As a Christian I just can't be a war-hawk.

Old 08-09-2011, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
Save us from what?
Ourselves. Eachother.

Old 08-09-2011, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
I have to say something myself as there are British troops dying out there, too and those from other countries and the Taliban too - they also are human beings. Not to mention civilians caught in the crossfire.

Make no mistake. I have little liking for the Taliban and not just because they destroyed an ancient statue out of religious zeal. I fear for the people of Afghanistan if those people gain control.

But I don't think we have the will, resources or money to win. Already we are trying - not to enable the South Vietnamese Army to hold off the NVA while the US pulled its troops out...ahh..sorry, got a bit of deja vu there...but to make the claim look face - savingly credible that we thought that we could leave it to to Afghan army to keep the Taliban at bay after we'd left.

As I wrote to a US pen pal recently, the difference between the two situations is that the NVA rolled into Saigon in tanks. The Taliban will arrive in Kabul on their mopeds.

While the forces are trying to hold position in Afghanistan, the politicians are trying to find a position that will allow them to pull their troops out without it looking as though they have been defeated, which is the death blow to any expectation of re-election.

And every soldier, Taliban trooper and Afghan civilian killed between now and then will have died in vain, because the faces will not be saved.

"Only the dead have seen the end of war."

--Plato

Old 08-09-2011, 10:33 AM

50,087 posts, read 20,691,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theophane View Post
"Only the dead have seen the end of war."

--Plato
Your point? ( I dread to think...it's ok that these people keep getting killed fo no result since we'll always have war)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality