U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-27-2009, 07:28 AM
 
Location: Hawaii>SouthLakeTahoe>LA>Vegas>?
162 posts, read 419,194 times
Reputation: 76

Advertisements

I am genuinely curious to see if anyone here who has any measure of faith in any kind of God can explain this. Lets not even think about the holocaust or other mass genocides, all the wars carried out in the name of religion, the murder, rape etc. JUST EXPLAIN THIS PICTURE:



This picture, by noted photographer Kevin Carter, won the Pulitzer Prize in 1994. He took it during a famine in Sudan, Africa. The girl in the picture, near death, is attempting to crawl to a United Nations Food camp located a kilometre away. The vulture behind her is waiting for her to die, so it can eat her, as vultures do when they sense animals near death.

Photographer Kevin Carter left the area immediately after taking the picture, and workers at the United Nations food camp said that on that day no girl of that size came into the camp after the time the photo was taken. We can rationally assume that this child met the fate of so many other children in Africa: starvation and a slow agonizing death. 3 months after the photo was taken, Kevin Carter committed suicide, blaming the "agony and guilt" he felt over doing nothing to help the girl.

SO my question is: IF A SO-CALLED GOD ALLOWS THIS, WHY SHOULD ANYONE WORSHIP OR EVEN RESPECT THAT GOD?!

Make no mistake about it, this kind of thing is happening EVERY. SINGLE. DAY around the world. Innocent children are dying ever single day.

I Would like to hear a logical answer from anyone. "God works in mysterious ways" is not an answer. How about real logic, perhaps by someone with a real college education? Just tell me why I should not just believe in, but worship and obey any God who allows this torture of the innocent.

ANYONE?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-27-2009, 07:45 AM
 
995 posts, read 1,175,838 times
Reputation: 117
What are you really expecting? A Disney-type of world where everybody lives happily ever after? If that is the case then there would not be any need for this world to exist because that kind of scenario will happen - in heaven. This world is created as a form of test by God to mankind. We are created to be the viziers of this world ie look after our fellow selves, the animals, plants environement etc etc. Obviously we are not doing too well but there is still time to change. We will be judged on our actions everyone of us. In the meantime, whenever a calamity happens, be it a natural one or as a punishment by God for those who believe in that, innocents will be swept along with the guilty. Those who don't believe in religion will protest that this is not fair but collective punishment is part of it. For those who believe, they know that those innocents who died will be repaid with an even greater gift by God in the afterlife. And what is this world when compared to an eternity in heaven? So for those who believe, they know that the little girl who suffered in the picture will be in a far far better place than the world can provide. The ones responsible for the calamity, if it was man-made will have their day in court on Judgement day & believe me, it is far far better to face justce on this earth than it is to face it in God's court.
But how to convey this to one who doesnt' believe in God without sounding cold or uncaring?
I wish i knew...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-27-2009, 08:03 AM
 
Location: Montrose, CA
3,031 posts, read 7,873,408 times
Reputation: 1925
I'm more of a mind to ask why the HELL didn't that arsehole of a photographer PICK UP THAT BABY and take her to help?

I know why "god allowed" this...it's because there ARE NO GODS. That human photographer had it in his power to at least try to save that little girl, and he walked away. That is evil personified and I'm glad he took himself out of the breeding pool, because I would have wanted to take him out myself if he hadn't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-27-2009, 08:05 AM
 
2,514 posts, read 5,182,812 times
Reputation: 3482
By human standards life is unfair and God is silent just when we desperately need to hear His explanation for disasters which may affect us the rest of our lives. We live in a fallen world. In such a world any of us can be victims as well as perpetrators of wrong. In a fallen world, innocent people suffer and die. There is no safe place in this present life. There are no guarantees. Jesus does not promise His followers good health, a long life, and material riches. The only sure refuge is one's relationship with Jesus Christ.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-27-2009, 08:05 AM
 
4,669 posts, read 3,908,470 times
Reputation: 409
Do you really want to discuss it? Or are you just looking to attack?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-27-2009, 08:10 AM
 
4,047 posts, read 4,378,525 times
Reputation: 1321
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbrich View Post
Do you really want to discuss it? Or are you just looking to attack?
I think it's more about trying to get believers to think about these things than just attacking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-27-2009, 08:16 AM
 
Location: Hawaii>SouthLakeTahoe>LA>Vegas>?
162 posts, read 419,194 times
Reputation: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by braderjoe View Post
What are you really expecting? A Disney-type of world where everybody lives happily ever after? If that is the case then there would not be any need for this world to exist because that kind of scenario will happen - in heaven.
I asked for logic, and you have offered none. WHY not the Disney World?! WHY DOES THIS WORLD NEED TO EXIST IF THERE IS A HEAVEN?! If god made us, the earth ,and the heavens, then why does this world need to exist. Kindly explain, following your own course of logic
Quote:
Originally Posted by braderjoe View Post
This world is created as a form of test by God to mankind. We are created to be the viziers of this world ie look after our fellow selves, the animals, plants environement etc etc.
Again, why?! Why does God need to test us, as you say? Why not just make us perfect? Why is he messing with us
Quote:
Originally Posted by braderjoe View Post
Obviously we are not doing too well but there is still time to change.
I agree wholeheartedly, true that
Quote:
Originally Posted by braderjoe View Post
whenever a calamity happens, be it a natural one or as a punishment by God for those who believe in that, innocents will be swept along with the guilty.
Back to my question: WHY SHOULD WE WORSHIP OR RESPECT THAT?! Why does God punish this girl? What did she do? Why not just punish the evildoers of this world? Answer the question.
Quote:
Originally Posted by braderjoe View Post
We will be judged on our actions everyone of us.
This disputes your previous sentence. Are you saying that we'll all be judged on our own actions, but we'll be punished with everyone else as collateral damage?!
Quote:
Originally Posted by braderjoe View Post
In the meantime, Those who don't believe in religion will protest that this is not fair but collective punishment is part of it.
Agreed, those who don't believe in your god are NOT OK with the slow, suffering, agonizing death of children. Boy ,we sure are a crazy bunch, huh? Its good you do believe so you think child starvation is cool tho
Quote:
Originally Posted by braderjoe View Post
The ones responsible for the calamity, if it was man-made will have their day in court on Judgement day & believe me, it is far far better to face justce on this earth than it is to face it in God's court.
It was not a man-made calamity at all, it was a massive drought which killed tens of thousands. There were no men to blame, no grinch stealing food, no warlords stopping the UN from helping, it just was... By your logic, it sounds like GOD did it, right?
So God has no one to prosecute in his court for those deaths but himself
Quote:
Originally Posted by braderjoe View Post
But how to convey this to one who doesnt' believe in God without sounding cold or uncaring?
I wish i knew...
I'm glad you don't know how to: You basically said that child starvation is ok, because they'll go to heaven. WOuld you let this happen to your child because you know that
Quote:
Originally Posted by braderjoe View Post
innocents who died will be repaid with an even greater gift by God in the afterlife. And what is this world when compared to an eternity in heaven?
Moderator cut: edited
Thanks for proving my point

Last edited by june 7th; 01-27-2009 at 07:57 PM.. Reason: If a member/members are trying to genuinelly respond to OP, please don't attack them. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-27-2009, 08:17 AM
 
810 posts, read 1,260,185 times
Reputation: 194
Because our first human parents wanted to know what life would be like WITHOUT God. They wanted to be able to rule themselves. This picture is a perfect example of why we do need God.

I know why God doesn't intervene, but why didn't the photographer?!?!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-27-2009, 08:19 AM
 
Location: Hawaii>SouthLakeTahoe>LA>Vegas>?
162 posts, read 419,194 times
Reputation: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicIsYourFriend View Post
I think it's more about trying to get believers to think about these things than just attacking.
Absolutely. I want to think about these things. Would you respect a man who was in control of these things and allowed or caused them to happen? No, he would be tried and jailed as a cruel, terrible person. So whats the difference? I really would like to hear from people who don't just have blind faith, but believe in part through rational discourse and intellect
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-27-2009, 08:22 AM
 
Location: Hawaii>SouthLakeTahoe>LA>Vegas>?
162 posts, read 419,194 times
Reputation: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuSuSushi View Post
I'm more of a mind to ask why the HELL didn't that arsehole of a photographer PICK UP THAT BABY and take her to help?

I know why "god allowed" this...it's because there ARE NO GODS. That human photographer had it in his power to at least try to save that little girl, and he walked away. That is evil personified and I'm glad he took himself out of the breeding pool, because I would have wanted to take him out myself if he hadn't.
I agree that he should have done something, but it is part of the photographers' code to not get involved in their shots when it comes to this kind of thing. I do not agree with that, and he struggled with it. Unfortunately the anguish over what he should have done is is why he later killed himself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top