U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2009, 11:49 AM

3,031 posts, read 7,984,026 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbrich View Post
Our founding fathers guaranteed us the freedom to practice our religion--even in the public life.

If the atheists would stop trying to force their godless fantasy on us, they wouldn't get the reactions they do.
Public life yes, political life no. When you attempt to inject your brand of religious wackiness into politics, you infringe on the rights of everyone who doesn't believe how you do. Religion has no place whatsoever in government. Build your churches, sing your hymns, pray your prayers, pay your tithes -- just don't expect me to follow your set of rules because it's not right. I don't say you can't worship a god and pray; you shouldn't say I have to live under your religious rules.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2009, 11:50 AM

9,616 posts, read 11,268,110 times
Red face Got it wrong!

Quote:
I'm not defending anyone, but is it any worse than some of the vitriol spewed at Christians by other groups?
Let me re-phrase for you, kd: apparently you missed the point of the OP:

"I'm not defending anyone, but is it any worse than some of the vitriol spewed at atheists by Christians?"

Just check out the many many (endless, sadly) threads and posts that insult innocent folk who simply don't believe in your particular one (of-thousands of) God.

When they politely ask a question or provide some evidence that refutes literal biblicalism ( or ), innocent atheists then catch both 12ga barrels of a fundy's "spiritual side-by-side", triggered by the grinning, hostile IDT*.

As with this very example of Richard Attenborough. How civil, accepting and thoughtful of the threateners! Perhaps they should be thrown in jail.

(Intransigent Dogmo-Theists*)

Oh, I just came across your other bit of "wisdom":
"Our founding fathers guaranteed us the freedom to practice our religion--even in the public life.

If the atheists would stop trying to force their godless fantasy on us, they wouldn't get the reactions they do. "

The government and SCOTUS have, correctly, determined, despite their personal beliefs, that There's no Place For Religion In Government. It's perfectly OK for you to practice whatever you want in private (even Wiccans! Ohhh Nooo!!)

The government doesn't want to force "any thing" on you, kd! Nothing, nada, as in what atheists believe. Atheists aren't necessarily Evolutionists (tho' now recently PROVEN), nor are they ethically and morally bereft. That's only your haughty self-righteous accusation, specifically intended to position yourself as better than they . Sorry; no sale.

Example of transgressions against The Constitution: Bush's thinly disguised "Faith-Based Initiatives" and his father's stated (and recorded) belief that atheists should be deported out of the US (Nice! Tolerant! Intelligent!) nicely reflect your fervent personal desire that Christians should be in charge of our country's moral and educational directives. Heaven help us all.

(See: Europe, pre-"enlightenment"; The Spanish Inquisition, endless religious persecution, The Crusades (sorry, peaceful Muslims); the flight to America by The Pilgrims to specifically gain freedom FROM religion, but with the rational allowance to quietly practice amongst yourselves without proselytizing.)

Let me warn you, kd: if such biased, un-Constitutional and irrational nonsense EVER does try to come to be, that's when you'll REALLY SEE some "arguments" in the streets. The religious right's transparent, misguided and arrogant wishes for a "Christian theistic thug-ocracy" are one of the reasons many folks won't have anything to do with the Republican Party. Me included.

Imagine! Institutionalized oppressive curiosity-quelching stupidity! Yikes!

Last edited by rifleman; 01-27-2009 at 12:18 PM.. Reason: typos

Old 01-27-2009, 11:54 AM

4,669 posts, read 4,023,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuSuSushi View Post
Public life yes, political life no. When you attempt to inject your brand of religious wackiness into politics, you infringe on the rights of everyone who doesn't believe how you do. Religion has no place whatsoever in government. Build your churches, sing your hymns, pray your prayers, pay your tithes -- just don't expect me to follow your set of rules because it's not right. I don't say you can't worship a god and pray; you shouldn't say I have to live under your religious rules.
The founding fathers believed that we did have a right to practice religion--even in politics.

Old 01-27-2009, 11:57 AM

10,498 posts, read 10,239,037 times
This is just great, Christians saying that atheists are forcing their godless fantasy on them and atheists saying that Christians won't leave them alone and both of these groups are using the Constitution as an excuse to badger each other, now much sense does that make? Sure the Constitution guarantees you the right to practice your religion or non-religion whichever the case may be but does that give you the right to make attacks at each other, why don't you all leave each other alone and go about your own business.

Old 01-27-2009, 12:03 PM

2,955 posts, read 6,705,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsum View Post
This is just great, Christians saying that atheists are forcing their godless fantasy on them and atheists saying that Christians won't leave them alone and both of these groups are using the Constitution as an excuse to badger each other, now much sense does that make? Sure the Constitution guarantees you the right to practice your religion or non-religion whichever the case may be but does that give you the right to make attacks at each other, why don't you all leave each other alone and go about your own business.
Actually this is another one of our valuable Constitutional freedoms - to squander our energy battling anonymous ideological foes on the internet armed with catch phrases and search engines.
The founders would be so proud.

Old 01-27-2009, 12:11 PM

3,486 posts, read 5,023,963 times
Quote:
The founding fathers believed that we did have a right to practice religion--even in politics.
No they didn't. In fact, quite the opposite: they were very much in favor of keeping religion out of the government.

Old 01-27-2009, 12:14 PM

4,349 posts, read 6,576,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerby W-R View Post
Article about Sir David Attenborough's getting hate mail to burn in hell.
The full article is a short one and well worth your time. Click on the link.

Sir David Attenborough: 'I get hate mail telling me to burn in hell for not crediting God' - Telegraph

"They tell me to burn in hell and good riddance," Sir David said during an interview with the Radio Times about his latest documentary on Charles Darwin and natural selection.
This year marks two centuries since Darwin's birth and 150 years since the groundbreaking On the Origin of Species was published.
================================================== =====================================
If they disliked his passive views what would they say about some of us on the Forum? I don’t believed in hell which makes this a moot point, but if they are right it would be a hot time in the old hell when we get together.

Old 01-27-2009, 12:37 PM

Quote:
What alternative reality do you live in?

Old 01-27-2009, 12:47 PM

3,901 posts, read 4,841,456 times
Default ***

Iran is a Theocracy but the last time I checked, America was not.

Old 01-27-2009, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerby W-R View Post
Iran is a Theocracy but the last time I checked, America was not.
The USA is generally a kakistocracy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality