U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2009, 04:15 PM

30,038 posts, read 30,684,539 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescityleon View Post
Yeah that would be sad for you and your ego........the world was and is created..........and a 5 year in Sunday school believes that God walked among us. You know if it was up to physics a bumble bee could not fly, According to mens formulas but the bumble bee flies because it has abilities that physics doesn't understand..I put by faith in the one who designed the bumble bee...........
The problem is you state myth as fact. The flight of the bumblebee is well understood. It is not wise to put your faith in myths because you sometimes end up with egg on your face

According to 20th century folklore, the laws of aerodynamics prove that the bumblebee should be incapable of flight, as it does not have the capacity.
Bees beat their wings approximate 200 times a second, which is 10-20x as fast as nerve impulses can fire. They achieve this because their thorax muscles don't expand and contract on each nerve firing, but rather vibrate like someone plucking a rubber-band.

Bumblebee - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2009, 04:17 PM

19,126 posts, read 25,802,827 times
Quote:
Yeah that would be sad for you and your ego........the world was and is created..........and a 5 year in Sunday school believes that God walked among us. You know if it was up to physics a bumble bee could not fly, According to mens formulas but the bumble bee flies because it has abilities that physics doesn't understand..I put by faith in the one who designed the bumble bee...........
Ah, not true. A simple google search of 'can bumblebees fly' will produce plenty of literature on proving that myth incorrect, as well as how the myth was started.

Old 01-28-2009, 04:28 PM

2,415 posts, read 2,354,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
Looking at the status of the world right now, I'd say it was pretty probable that something (i.e. Flying Spaghetti Monster) got reallllly drunk and accidentally created the planet. Our universe has a predisposed drinking problem.
...you can quit drinking.........

Old 01-28-2009, 04:45 PM

19,126 posts, read 25,802,827 times
Quote:
...you can quit drinking.........
Wait... are you insinuating that I'm god??? ....awesome.

Old 01-28-2009, 05:30 PM

1,090 posts, read 1,953,323 times
Quote:
Wait... are you insinuating that I'm god??? ....awesome.
Best post of the effin' week.

Old 01-28-2009, 05:34 PM

1,653 posts, read 5,009,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbrich View Post
*pointing to the world around me*

Just a little thing called cause and effect.
I like that!

Old 01-29-2009, 09:37 AM

9,616 posts, read 11,067,986 times
Exclamation "Men overboard! Help!"

Quote:
Dictionary.com defines fairy tale as:
  1. A fictitious, highly fanciful story or explanation.
Clinging to the idea that "we don't know what it is, but it can't be God--despite all the evidence" is a fairy tale.
Anyone care to take a semi-educated guess at just how many ancient creation myths there are besides Christianity? Any reason why that one should carry any more credibility and weight than the others? Where are the First Nation philosophers when we need them here now? Since they were here BEFORE the YECs 6035 year-old "poof" date, I'm sure they get a good laugh out of the intensity of belief in the Christian myth versus theirs. Of course, it has always been one of The Christian Church's prime directives to eradicate any other conflicting aboriginal mythologies (see: Australia, Hawaii, Africa, N. & S. Americas, Inuits, Japan, China, AOAOAI (And On And On Ad Infinitum). Everywhere their "exploration" expeditionary ships touched foreign lands, out came the actual and philosophical swords, well lubed in the blood of the innocent and initially happy and peaceful inhabitants. Quite the legacy, wouldn't you agree?

Interesting also that folks such as our prime defendant here are only too happy to suppress the ancient creationist myths of these otherwise peaceful people, thus turning them forever against the White (primarily Anglo) Christian Crusader mentality, arrogance and forced re-education through violent, cruel and abhorent psychological torture and relentless alter-myth "spoutations"...

Fantasy indeed. Cause & effect to be sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
I don't like the way that this is couched, but Einstein believed in a god as does Hawking.
Just to clarify on this point, jimbo, (and I gather from the further details in your post you DO understand), but here's the facts in a quote from Hr. Einstein, just to quench the theists' endless distortionisms:

Atheists object to the use of the quote, since Einstein might best be described as an agnostic. Einstein himself stated quite clearly that he did not believe in a personal God:
"It was, of course, a lie what you read about my religious convictions, a lie which is being systematically repeated. I do not believe in a personal God and I have never denied this but have expressed it clearly."
So, the quick answer to the question is that Einstein did not believe in a personal God."

There should be place on C-D where things like this could be posted in giant flashing, marching colored neon letters that you would have to read and agree to before you could sign on and create posts.

Another one, relating to the OP, would read: "As of August 2008, Evolution as an absolute process resulting in speciation, is now proved to all. Thus Creationism is Technically Dead. Frantic dis-believers still repudiate it though, and many can be seen clinging to perforated physcological life-rafts, drifting off into the endless fog of blindered faith"

Last edited by rifleman; 01-29-2009 at 09:51 AM.. Reason: typos

Old 01-29-2009, 10:07 AM

113 posts, read 154,515 times
Default As I read along, I get more confused by Christianity!

Quote:
In every other aspect of life we believe in cause and effect. Yet, you don't believe in the cause of our universe. That's irrational. I'm sorry. You guys are just not being rational.
As I've learned about science, sir, science first observes the effect, and then carefully designs some simple, testable and reproducable questions to try to find out the cause part. They have found out a lot so far, and it all refutes an instantaneous creation if you use the literal biblical versions (even within the Christian faith, there are distinct variants which are from from minor. What's with that, by the way?)

What's irrational about that approach, sir? Your approach, which is that since phytsicists have only answered most of the questions, not all of them, their entire body on knowledge should be tossed out in favor of an increasingly discredited allegory.

Your particular approach to natural curiosity and questioning is exactly why I abandoned the Christian life and beliefs. You should be aware that your particular attitude, on display here, has the real potential to convert many more reasonable Current Christians, rather than helping them with their faith.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
you are probably embracing unreasonability more than anything else.

You have a brain but you also have a soul. Don't forget about either.
I think that you should have reversed your words!. "You have a soul but you also have a brain. Don't forget to use it!"

Quote:
According to mens formulas but the bumble bee flies because it has abilities that physics doesn't understand..I put by faith in the one who designed the bumble bee...........
Quote:
Originally Posted by coosjoaquin View Post
The Straight Dope: Is it aerodynamically impossible for bumblebees to fly?

I'm pretty confident that physics does a good job at explaining many of the how's in the universe. If I were to reject physics then for the sake of consistency, i'd have to throw this laptop away.
Quote:
Ah, not true. A simple google search of 'can bumblebees fly' will produce plenty of literature on proving that myth incorrect, as well as how the myth was started.
Agreed! This was a myth that was cirtculating when I was in Sunday school, which was about 54 years ago. It's always amazing that people with no scientific education will cling to these bumper-sticker philosophies as some sort of proof of God's existance!

If the Church and some of the dedicated fundamentalist Christians posting here had their way, we'd all be dancing around some carved craven idols, sacrificing virgins and submitting to The High Priestess", mostly dropping off our hard-won gold nuggets into the "tithing jar". Just like Church today!

Last edited by thotful1; 01-29-2009 at 10:11 AM.. Reason: errors

Old 01-29-2009, 10:32 AM

9,616 posts, read 11,067,986 times
Talking "Religion Happens!"

Quote:
In every other aspect of life we believe in cause and effect. Yet, you don't believe in the cause of our universe. That's irrational. I'm sorry. You guys are just not being rational.

Just which effect and related cause are you referring to specifically? (This one's rhetorical; no need to answer: but just what would be "irrational" about believing in an unproveable fantasy such as "poof"; here we all are today?)

Quote:
you know if it was up to physics a bumble bee could not fly, According to mens formulas but the bumble bee flies because it has abilities that physics doesn't understand..I put by faith in the one who designed the bumble bee...........
It was actually just one man's formulas, he being drunk at that, in 1930 no less, at an informal dinner party. And he later recanted and admitted he was not thinking it through all too well.

That's the same quality of information that persistently but erroneously states that Einstein believed in God, put up as some sort of "proof" that the best minds of science support the God myth...

PS: The percentage number of science graduates from real universities (not, I hasten to add, from such places as "The Unstitute [my sp!] for Creationist Studies" or their ilk of Xtian funded pseudo-institutes...) compared to those who actually know the facts, is monumental. I'll speculate that the true scientists outnumber the pseudo-scientists by about 99.9999999%. Literally millions of new scientists graduate each year from accredited Universities. The real guys know, for example, that 1)Evolution is a fact, and 2) that old fossils have been accurately dated to be well over millions of years old, and 3) that it's impossible for there to have been enough water to cover Mt. Everest, etc., and 4) that there were multiple Ice Ages, and that 5) there were NEVER happy, cuddly co-habitating vegan T-Rexs living as handy watch-carnivores with men in their little caves (Good boy, Rex! Now, fetch me another antelope, but don't eat it en-route, like the last one!)., all crowded onto a fantasy Ark.

But if that's good enough for you, and if that sort of quality of evidence is typical of what you use to refute serious "question and answer methodologies" (aka "Science"), then more power to your side.

BTW, I love it, thotful1: "Bumper Sticker Philosophies"!

Last edited by rifleman; 01-29-2009 at 10:40 AM.. Reason: typos

Old 10-04-2009, 12:41 PM

72 posts, read 93,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman View Post
It's been over 8 mo. since Lenski, Blount and Borland (Nat. Ac. Sci; Aug 2008) incontrovertibly proved, for all to read and see, the Evolutionary process.

I WANT this!!! I NEED this!!! Please, pretty please, give me more as I'm at my googling's end.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality