Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2009, 02:08 PM

2,630 posts, read 4,938,468 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbrich View Post
Where did the space for the universe come from?

Matter?

Anyone?
Well, here is an excerpt from the voodoo creation story:
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiki
Damballah (Sky-serpent loa and wise and loving Father archetype) created all the waters of the earth. In the form of a serpent, the movement of his 7,000 coils formed hills and valleys on earth and brought forth stars and planets in the cosmos. He forged metals from heat and sent forth lightning bolts to form the sacred rocks and stones.
When he shed his skin in the sun, releasing all the waters over the land, the sun shone in the water and created the rainbow. Damballah loved the rainbow's beauty and made her his wife, Aida-Wedo. (Aida-Wedo represents the sky powers and is symbolized by the rainbow; wife of Damballah, she shares his function as cosmic protector and giver of blessing.)
The revelations of the loa (deity) descended upon the first faithful in Ifé, a legendary city located in Nigeria. Therefore, everything in life and all spiritual strength comes from Ifé. The homeland of all voodoo devotees, where Ifé is located, is Ginen, from where they were forced to flee in the African Diaspora. In death, the higher soul will return to Ginen (the world of the dead, said to be under the water below the earth) to reside with the loa and the ancestral spirits. Because of this, all practitioners of voodoo refer to themselves as ti guinin, sons or daughters of Ginen.
So there is your answer, it was loa who created everything. Any questions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2009, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
I don't like the way that this is couched, but Einstein believed in a god as does Hawking. What these men of science and mathematics call "god" is not necessarily the same entity that a fundamentalist protestant refers to by the same name, but it recognizes that there are things that we may never understand and that there is an order and organization to "the way stuff works" that is incomprehensibly improbable. That is what science calls "god" and the acceptance of religion should not be mutually exclusive to the acceptance of science (or vice-versa). If it is, you are probably embracing unreasonability more than anything else.

You have a brain but you also have a soul. Don't forget about either.
kdbrichs worst enemy seems to be people with differing views on god because the gross oversimplifications and false dichotomies no longer work in these cases.

Old 01-28-2009, 02:13 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,618,410 times
kdbrich wrote:
Quote:
In every other aspect of life we believe in cause and effect. Yet, you don't believe in the cause of our universe. That's irrational. I'm sorry. You guys are just not being rational.
No one has stated that they didn't believe that the universe had a cause. It's been stated repeatedly by myself and others that we don't know all of the answers so how can we possibly give you something we don't have? I haven't heard any answers from you either Moderator cut: edit

Last edited by june 7th; 01-28-2009 at 03:55 PM..

Old 01-28-2009, 02:22 PM

1,088 posts, read 2,195,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuSuSushi View Post
Yeah, unfortunately he is. I could say "A giant pink ethereal elephant farted out the universe in situ and voila, there we were!" and have as much ground to stand on as he does.

It's quite humorous, in a train wreck sort of way.
I'm going out right now to build my ice altar to the pink ethereal elephant. What do you think the best sacrifice would be? Peanuts, or Pansies?

Old 01-28-2009, 02:30 PM

3,032 posts, read 8,918,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spotted1 View Post
I'm going out right now to build my ice altar to the pink ethereal elephant. What do you think the best sacrifice would be? Peanuts, or Pansies?
Chili. Lots and lots of five-alarm chili.

Old 01-28-2009, 02:59 PM

1,088 posts, read 2,195,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuSuSushi View Post
Chili. Lots and lots of five-alarm chili.
Yay for more universes!

Old 01-28-2009, 03:29 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,617,448 times
Looking at the status of the world right now, I'd say it was pretty probable that something (i.e. Flying Spaghetti Monster) got reallllly drunk and accidentally created the planet. Our universe has a predisposed drinking problem.

Old 01-28-2009, 04:03 PM

2,430 posts, read 2,766,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
You're correct, the answer may not be in physics, but I can tell you that it's a gigantic, almost unimaginable longshot that goddidit. NOBODY knows what started it all, but at least we're trying to figure it out. It's kind of sad to be basing the beginnings of our universe on something a 5 year old can recite.
Yeah that would be sad for you and your ego........the world was and is created..........and a 5 year in Sunday school believes that God walked among us. You know if it was up to physics a bumble bee could not fly, According to mens formulas but the bumble bee flies because it has abilities that physics doesn't understand..I put by faith in the one who designed the bumble bee...........

Old 01-28-2009, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescityleon View Post
Yeah that would be sad for you and your ego........the world was and is created..........and a 5 year in Sunday school believes that God walked among us. You know if it was up to physics a bumble bee could not fly, According to mens formulas but the bumble bee flies because it has abilities that physics doesn't understand..I put by faith in the one who designed the bumble bee...........
The Straight Dope: Is it aerodynamically impossible for bumblebees to fly?

I'm pretty confident that physics does a good job at explaining many of the how's in the universe. If I were to reject physics then for the sake of consistency, i'd have to throw this laptop away.

Old 01-28-2009, 04:15 PM

4,904 posts, read 6,013,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbrich View Post
This thread was simply a question of where did the space for the universe come from? and the matter.

Moderator cut: deleted
I don't know and neither do you, religious folk just like to pretend they do; although you can't substantiate the claim that an invisible wizard waved his wand then out poofed the universe. If you can't empirically prove that it is true, then it's irrational to believe it is true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality