U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2009, 06:13 AM

4,669 posts, read 3,901,923 times

Advertisements

Where did the space for the universe come from?

Matter?

Anyone?
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2009, 06:31 AM

3,031 posts, read 7,865,223 times
Oh yes, a magical all-powerful sky fairy is the ONLY solution to any question that we don't have an answer for yet.

I mean really, are you so insecure and fearful that you just can't stand not having an answer? If we knew the answers to everything, the universe would be a pretty boring place! Which might explain why I always fell asleep in church.

Old 01-28-2009, 06:41 AM

1,489 posts, read 1,273,004 times
Yes, this would indeed be the $64,000 dollar question. Bible thumpers believe that god created it all....but never seem to be able to explain who created god....he just "always was" they explain, glossing over their obvious lack of answering the question.

What do others believe ?

I don't really know what to believe here. This is certainly an interesting scientific and intellectual endeavour to discuss...but in the end I'm comfortable with things either way and not sure it really matters. We're probably not going to change anybodies beliefs here anyway.

Last edited by jasper1372; 01-28-2009 at 07:31 AM..

Old 01-28-2009, 07:46 AM

7,525 posts, read 14,544,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbrich View Post
Matter?
No, it doesn't. Give it 50-100 years and all your questions will be answered. Until then, do your best to love one another, care for your brother as for yourself, and have a kickin day..........

Old 01-28-2009, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuSuSushi View Post
Oh yes, a magical all-powerful sky fairy is the ONLY solution to any question that we don't have an answer for yet.

I mean really, are you so insecure and fearful that you just can't stand not having an answer? If we knew the answers to everything, the universe would be a pretty boring place! Which might explain why I always fell asleep in church.
Come now.

You're a smart person.

Where did the space for the universe come from?

Where did the matter for the universe come from?

You're willing to give science a pass when it comes to stuff like evolution...why not creation?

Old 01-28-2009, 08:46 AM

7,916 posts, read 16,399,669 times
Didn't you start a thread asking the very same question but worded slightly differently not too long ago? As we've said before, we just don't know those answers at this point in our history but I agree with Goodpasture that alot of the unknowns will be understood at some point in the future. I see nothing that points to a supernatural being as the cause of the universe though which is what you're obviously suggesting.

Old 01-28-2009, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
Didn't you start a thread asking the very same question but worded slightly differently not too long ago? As we've said before, we just don't know those answers at this point in our history but I agree with Goodpasture that alot of the unknowns will be understood at some point in the future. I see nothing that points to a supernatural being as the cause of the universe though which is what you're obviously suggesting.

Newton came up with the law of gravity. Did he understand it exactly? Was he wrong with attributing something falling to be due to a "magical force"?

Old 01-28-2009, 09:08 AM

kdbrich wrote:
Quote:
Newton came up with the law of gravity. Did he understand it exactly? Was he wrong with attributing something falling to be due to a "magical force"?
I'll be the first to admit that there's alot we don't understand about physics and I find the subject to be interesting but very difficult to grasp. However, gravity is a force that isn't magical and we can measure it and of course it's what's keeping me in my chair as I type this message. An object as large as the earth has a greater gravitational force than an object the size of the moon which has much less. This is very different from the concept of a creator because we can't detect any evidence whatsoever that one exists. Simply put, evidence can be observed for things that are real while no evidence can be observed for things that are make believe.

Old 01-28-2009, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
kdbrich wrote:

I'll be the first to admit that there's alot we don't understand about physics and I find the subject to be interesting but very difficult to grasp. However, gravity is a force that isn't magical and we can measure it and of course it's what's keeping me in my chair as I type this message. An object as large as the earth has a greater gravitational force than an object the size of the moon which has much less. This is very different from the concept of a creator because we can't detect any evidence whatsoever that one exists. Simply put, evidence can be observed for things that are real while no evidence can be observed for things that are make believe.
Did Newton know what we know now about it? It likely seemed fairly "magical", or unmeasurable to him. Sure...he could observe cause/effect with it, but it certainly wasn't any more conclusive than the cause/effect that I can observe regarding creation today.

Old 01-28-2009, 09:23 AM

kdbrich wrote:
Quote:
Did Newton know what we know now about it? It likely seemed fairly "magical", or unmeasurable to him. Sure...he could observe cause/effect with it, but it certainly wasn't any more conclusive than the cause/effect that I can observe regarding creation today.
Newtonian physics is actually a large body of knowledge that wasn't really challenged until Einstein. He certainly wasn't some bumpkin who believed in magic. If you can see a cause and effect regarding creation and are able to attribute that to a God and actually prove it I would urge you to hold a press conference and present your findings to the world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality