U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2009, 09:58 PM

3,536 posts, read 5,079,640 times

Advertisements

At the end of the day, religion makes people feel better and encourages good deeds. It does not explain natural phenomenona. Science is meant to explain what is going on. Both can be used. People need science to explain things. Some people need religion to help themselves.

I know I glossed over a few responses, but the point is that religion is not a good basis for science. But just because it's not science doesn't mean it's bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2009, 10:45 PM

6,343 posts, read 8,487,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by that1guy View Post
Sorry, but this is just wondering if that something must come from something and God is something...then where did God come from?
This is kind of a response to "If not for creation..." Is it that hard to admit that religion is not science? I am not saying that there is anything wrong with religion, but rather that religion is not science. It is religion.

Well, I am having trouble understanding what you are asking. If your question "what is the origin of GOD" than my answer would be that GOD is infinite. It is believed in some schools physics that time is infinite and yet circular, so that a thing that is truly infinite exist forever and has always existed. That is what GOD is, it is so old that it is unborn, so far into the past that it is in the future.

Because GOD has no beginning and no end, it did not appear from anywhere.

An easier way to look at it is like this:
To try to find the beginning of GOD would be like trying to find the front of a circul.

Also, I agree that religion is not a science, but I also believe that religion and science do not have to be opposed to one another.

Old 01-28-2009, 10:47 PM

1,387 posts, read 2,110,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb in VA View Post
There are some evolutionists who believe that the universe has always existed, that it had no beginning, that it just has always been. If one can believe that of the universe, then why is it so hard to understand the Christian belief that God has always existed? He has no beginning and He will have no end, He is eternal.
Deb, what exactly is an "evolutionist"? I know a lot more christians that believe in evolution than ones who don't. I also don't know anyone, including atheists on this forum, who have stated that the universe has always existed. The general consensus seems to be that the universe started with the big bang and nobody knows what was before that, or what started it. So, what is this opinion of yours based on?

Old 01-28-2009, 10:59 PM

37,508 posts, read 25,243,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sizzly Friddle View Post
Deb, what exactly is an "evolutionist"? I know a lot more christians that believe in evolution than ones who don't. I also don't know anyone, including atheists on this forum, who have stated that the universe has always existed.The general consensus seems to be that the universe started with the big bang and nobody knows what was before that, or what started it. So, what is this opinion of yours based on?
Actually . . astronomer Sir Fred Hoyle and colleagues did just that. He died in 2001 but his colleagues continue to pursue his work. The Big Bang theorists have so much clout it is hard for them to get the precious telescope time necessary to validate their theory further . . . but the mathematics is sound and their preliminary results are confirming.

Old 01-29-2009, 10:37 AM

8,989 posts, read 12,452,213 times
Quote:
Sorry, but this is just wondering if that something must come from something and God is something...then where did God come from?
This is kind of a response to "If not for creation..." Is it that hard to admit that religion is not science? I am not saying that there is anything wrong with religion, but rather that religion is not science. It is religion.
To ask, where does God come from? is like asking what does the color blue smell like? If there is a God then He is able to do the supernatural therefore He would have to be outside of our finite existence in which our laws (physics, gravity etc...) would not apply to Him thus the question "where does come from" would not be a suitable question. It is a finite question that relegates Him to a finite existence. God is infinite. God has always been.

Old 01-29-2009, 11:41 AM

613 posts, read 1,154,365 times
Quote:
At the end of the day, religion makes people feel better and encourages good deeds. It does not explain natural phenomenona. Science is meant to explain what is going on. Both can be used. People need science to explain things. Some people need religion to help themselves.

I know I glossed over a few responses, but the point is that religion is not a good basis for science. But just because it's not science doesn't mean it's bad.
religion should be taken for poetry, but it is reality as much as science is. You can't deny religion ability to explain natural phenomenon. That is what it does, and accuratly too. You will be surprised if science can reach it's potential. But beware, it's just as curruptable and easy to confuse people with.

Old 01-29-2009, 10:41 PM

3,536 posts, read 5,079,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allah truth View Post
religion should be taken for poetry, but it is reality as much as science is. You can't deny religion ability to explain natural phenomenon. That is what it does, and accuratly too. You will be surprised if science can reach it's potential. But beware, it's just as curruptable and easy to confuse people with.
You can deny religion's ability to explain natural phenomenon, because it doesn't. There are more examples of this than not. Science is not poetry. Science knows it's unknowing and wants to further its knowlege. Religion claims to know all and does not want to change. Religion is good for a support system and helps communities, but it should not be a means to explain the world around us.

Old 01-29-2009, 11:33 PM

7,088 posts, read 12,703,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb in VA View Post
There are some evolutionists who believe that the universe has always existed, that it had no beginning, that it just has always been. If one can believe that of the universe, then why is it so hard to understand the Christian belief that God has always existed? He has no beginning and He will have no end, He is eternal.
it is always easier to believe in things that one can actually see and feel, rocks, trees, water, sunlight. The universe, or at least a part of it can be seen, experienced in a way that a theoretical god can not. Yes, the senses can be fooled, magicians do this on a regular basis, churches attempt to do the same thing, getting people to believe in things unseen, the magician doesn't tell you his craft is truth, he merely makes you wonder how he did it. The church tells you it's truth, but don't ask how it was done.

Old 02-03-2009, 09:26 AM

7,088 posts, read 12,703,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allah truth View Post
You can't deny religion ability to explain natural phenomenon.
UHHHH, yeah, right???? religion does not explain natural phenomena, just saying "it was created, all right?" does not constitute proof. It is an assertion, unfounded, grounded in mythology. (my assertion) The realm of science demands repetitive, reproduceable, proof, it must be shown with mathematical precision and logic that something is. One can not prove that something is not. Science takes into account that there are limits to our current understanding, ergo, the scientific process is an ongoing operation. Granted, science does not profess to have all the answers, but, it seldom accepts blindly that things are, just because I, or someone else, or a book, or a belief system, says so. It requires proof.

Old 02-03-2009, 09:51 AM

4,512 posts, read 6,581,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Rhodes View Post
UHHHH, yeah, right???? religion does not explain natural phenomena, just saying "it was created, all right?" does not constitute proof. It is an assertion, unfounded, grounded in mythology. (my assertion) The realm of science demands repetitive, reproduceable, proof, it must be shown with mathematical precision and logic that something is. One can not prove that something is not. Science takes into account that there are limits to our current understanding, ergo, the scientific process is an ongoing operation. Granted, science does not profess to have all the answers, but, it seldom accepts blindly that things are, just because I, or someone else, or a book, or a belief system, says so. It requires proof.
quite so.
for a long time science only inquired into that which was (to be) taken for granted but expressed via (yet unexplainably caused) superstition.

the evolutionary process obviously necessary is now, however, in great danger to derail... (imho, naturally)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality