Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2009, 12:28 PM

1,534 posts, read 1,989,752 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
"Voabdony" is more than likely a misspelling on the OP's part. Probably just typing too quickly! I suspect he meant "Vo' adonai," meaning that Jesus didn't specifically claim to be God.
Which, in fact, he didn't--that would have been treason under Roman law (remember who was occupying the country at the time) and brought the authorities down on him, posthaste. He had to be very circumspect in the things he said publicly.
I bet your pardon. Christ said many times He was God.

27 My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me:
28 And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand.
29 My Father, which gave them me, is greater than all; and no man is able to pluck them out of my Father’s hand.
30 I and my Father are one.
31 Then the Jews took up stones again to stone him.
32 Jesus answered them, Many good works have I shewed you from my Father; for which of those works do ye stone me?
33 The Jews answered him, saying, For a good work we stone thee not; but for blasphemy; and because that thou, being a man, makest thyself God.

The Jews understood what Christ was claiming. That is why they wanted Him stoned.

Luke 23:69 Hereafter shall the Son of man sit on the right hand of the power of God.
70 Then said they all, Art thou then the Son of God? And he said unto them, Ye say that I am.
71 And they said, What need we any further witness? for we ourselves have heard of his own mouth.
1 ¶ And the whole multitude of them arose, and led him unto Pilate.

The (Jews) also understood what He meant when He claimed to be the 'Son of God.' That is why they led Him to pilate so He could be condemed to die for making Himself out to be God.

John 8:55 Yet ye have not known him; but I know him: and if I should say, I know him not, I shall be a liar like unto you: but I know him, and keep his saying.
56 Your father Abraham rejoiced to see my day: and he saw it, and was glad.
57 Then said the Jews unto him, Thou art not yet fifty years old, and hast thou seen Abraham?
58 Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Before Abraham was, I am.
59 Then took they up stones to cast at him: but Jesus hid himself, and went out of the temple, going through the midst of them, and so passed by.

Again they understood Him claiming to be God.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2009, 01:03 PM

897 posts, read 2,457,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
Dude you just answered your own thread.
I was using "I am going to the store. .Now that I said I am I qualify to be GOD " as example how absurd Jesus saying I am qualifies him to call himself the Son of God.

Last edited by shibainu; 01-29-2009 at 02:22 PM..

Old 01-29-2009, 01:13 PM

4,655 posts, read 5,065,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shibainu View Post
I was using "I am going to the store. .Now that I said I am I qualify to be GOD " as example how absurd Jesus saying I am qualifies him to call him the Son of God.

Why do you think that the Jews picked up stones to kill him?

Old 01-29-2009, 02:14 PM

1,534 posts, read 1,989,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shibainu View Post
I was using "I am going to the store. .Now that I said I am I qualify to be GOD " as example how absurd Jesus saying I am qualifies him to call him the Son of God.
Acts 20:28 tells us, "...Be shepherds of the church of God, which He bought with His own blood." Who bought the church with His own blood? Jesus Christ. Acts 20:28 declares that God purchased the church with His own blood. !

2Sa 22:3 The God of my rock; in him will I trust: he is my shield, and the horn of my salvation, my high tower, and my refuge, my *saviour; thou savest me from violence

Isa 43:11 I, even I, am the LORD; and beside me there is no saviour.

Lu 2:11 For unto you is born this day in the city of David a *Saviour, which is Christ the Lord.

Ac 5:31 Him hath God exalted with his right hand to be a Prince and a *Saviour, for to give repentance to Israel, and forgiveness of sins.

1Jo 4:14 And we have seen and do testify that the Father sent the Son to be the *Saviour of the world

*saviour #4990. soter so-tare' from 4982; a deliverer, i.e. God or Christ:--saviour

Old 01-29-2009, 05:21 PM

3,580 posts, read 6,301,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beeveenh View Post
Huh? Clearly? Throughout?
I think it is more clear that Jesus says that he is God's son. God says that Jesus is His son. EVERYONE says that Jesus is God's son. Jesus even says that there are things that neither the angels nor he know, only the father knows.
Well, it is clearly only God can forgive sin, and Jesus clearly went around and forgave the sin of the people. In Matthew 4:10 Jesus said to him, "Away with you, satan! For it is written, you shall worship the Lord your God, and Him only you shall serve. Satan left him, because Jesus had autority over him and he had to leave. Only God has authority over satan. If Jesus did not have authority over him, satan did not have to leave.

Matthew 1:23 basically says a virgin will have a child, and his name will be Immanauel, which is Jesus, and that translates God with us.

AGain John 1:4 says, In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, (and the Word was God). He was in the beginning with God. All things were made through Him, and without Him nothing was made that was made. In HIm, was life, and the life was the light of men.

Col. 1:16-17, " For by him all things were created: things in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or powers or rulers or authorities; all things were created by him and for him. He is before all things, and in him all things hold together."

Rev. 1:17, "When I saw him , I fell at his feet as though dead. Then he placed his right hand on me and said:' Do not be afraid. I am the First and the Last, (who died and came to life again).

John 8:24, 'Therefore I said to you that you will die in your sins; for if you do not believe that I am he, you will die in your sins.

John 13:19, " I am telling you now before it happens, so that when it does happen you will believe that I am he"

The only person who had the name I am is God.

In Exodus 3:14 "God said to Moses, " I am Who I am. This is what you are to say to the Israelites: ' I am has sent me to you.

Now Jesus is saying that his name is I am, put the puzzle together.

Now if you read Matthew demons recongnized Jesus and ask him what have we to do with you, have you come to torment us before the time? What time, the time that he sends them to hell, with Satan. Jesus has many names, but he is clearly the I am, and he is Immanuel, God with us.

Old 01-29-2009, 07:35 PM

7,628 posts, read 10,967,281 times
Quote:
Before I move on to researching the issue of worship/bowing down, can someone address the scriptures I quoted above? How can Jesus be God and the above scriptures make sense?
God exist as there persons. All have different funtions, yet it requires all three to = One God. Just like the Atom, which is made up of three elements. Each element has a different funtion, yet together they all equal One Atom.

Old 01-29-2009, 08:56 PM

3,580 posts, read 6,301,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campbell34 View Post
God exist as there persons. All have different funtions, yet it requires all three to = One God. Just like the Atom, which is made up of three elements. Each element has a different funtion, yet together they all equal One Atom.
I love this example.

Old 01-30-2009, 06:01 AM

810 posts, read 1,436,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campbell34 View Post
So you are saying that The Father/Yahweh/Jehovah isn't powerful enough...isn't ALMIGHTY? He NEEDS the other 2 to be God? He's the one who gives authority....

Quote:
Well, it is clearly only God can forgive sin, and Jesus clearly went around and forgave the sin of the people. In Matthew 4:10 Jesus said to him, "Away with you, satan! For it is written, you shall worship the Lord your God, and Him only you shall serve. Satan left him, because Jesus had autority over him and he had to leave. Only God has authority over satan. If Jesus did not have authority over him, satan did not have to leave.
Shawn...In Matthew 4:3,6 Satan is asking Jesus to prove he is THE SON OF GOD, and tempting him with power and praying on his physical weaknesses as he had just fasted. How does Jesus answer? Read all of Matt 4 and it is clear that Jesus is saying it is his Father you must worship, and not to put his Father to the test.
The underlined part, I find most peculiar because some people say Jesus was God in the flesh...others say he was not fully God because he was in human form. Jesus said many times that he was given the authority by his Father. Matt 28:18, John 10:17,18, 1 Cor 15:24-28.

So are you guys really saying that Jesus and his Father are completely equal in authority?

Old 01-30-2009, 06:44 AM

2,255 posts, read 5,395,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AL SERHANE View Post
[SIZE=3]Spoken Word I Apologize[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]
Jesus said,"I Am God, Worship Me
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
Well when Satan tested Jesus in the wilderness, he tried to get Jesus to bow down and do an act of worship to him and he would give him all the Kingdoms of the world. Now this is how Jesus responded at Matthew 4:10 - "New Simplified Bible"
Quote:
"Go away, Satan!" demanded Jesus. "It is written, "It is Jehovah your God you must worship, and it is him alone you must render sacred service."
Interestingly, Jesus was quoting
Deuteronomy 6:13-15 - "American Standard Version"
Quote:
"Thou shalt fear Jehovah thy God; and him shalt thou serve, and swear by his name."

Ye shall not go after other gods, of the gods of the peoples that are round about you."

"for Jehovah thy God in the midst of thee is a jealous God; lest the anger of Jehovah thy God be kindled against thee, and he destroy thee from off the face of the earth."
Does that answer your question ???

Old 01-30-2009, 07:00 AM

7,628 posts, read 10,967,281 times
Quote:
So you are saying that The Father/Yahweh/Jehovah isn't powerful enough...isn't ALMIGHTY? He NEEDS the other 2 to be God? He's the one who gives authority....

Shawn...In Matthew 4:3,6 Satan is asking Jesus to prove he is THE SON OF GOD, and tempting him with power and praying on his physical weaknesses as he had just fasted. How does Jesus answer? Read all of Matt 4 and it is clear that Jesus is saying it is his Father you must worship, and not to put his Father to the test.
The underlined part, I find most peculiar because some people say Jesus was God in the flesh...others say he was not fully God because he was in human form. Jesus said many times that he was given the authority by his Father. Matt 28:18, John 10:17,18, 1 Cor 15:24-28.

So are you guys really saying that Jesus and his Father are completely equal in authority?
At know time did I say Jesus is equal to His Father, what I am saying is it requires three persons to equal One God. And that is why God tells us "Let (US) create man in (OUR) image and in (OUR) likeness. If you do not believe this, who is God speaking to here?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality