U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-30-2009, 01:18 PM
 
Location: Stockholm, Sweden
58 posts, read 123,827 times
Reputation: 27

Advertisements

Why does for example people say that "yeah i think he'd be good in office since he is a believer of jesus christ" etc?
What is it in being religious that would make a person "better"?
I think I've only met one person outside my mothers church who believed in god (live in sweden the worlds least religious country) and it's not like he differed much from other people.

I'm more bothered with muslim people who demand all kinds of stuff because of their religion, and also try. Who does a "hardcore christian" dispise most, a muslim or an ateist?

Just wondering...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-30-2009, 01:22 PM
 
Location: Montrose, CA
3,031 posts, read 7,872,157 times
Reputation: 1925
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlineerik View Post
Who does a "hardcore christian" dispise most, a muslim or an ateist?

Just wondering...
Guess you'd have to ask a "hardcore Christian" that question, but be prepared to get evasive answers.

As an atheist, I've personally had the experience of being told by a "good upstanding Christian" that I should just kill myself because I don't believe in god. Told that I should have my children taken away for being an atheist; that I have no morals or values. Other insults as well, but you get the idea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-30-2009, 02:06 PM
 
37,577 posts, read 25,275,797 times
Reputation: 5860
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuSuSushi View Post
Guess you'd have to ask a "hardcore Christian" that question, but be prepared to get evasive answers.
I assume you are equating "hardcore Christian" with Fundamentalist, literalist, legalist Christianity. The reality is that a true Christian despises no one . . . pity, sorrow, disappointment, frustration, etc. . . . these are things that might be in the heart of a Christian. The particularly devastating mentality and actions of fanatical Muslim suicidal terrorists can bring that frustration (and fear) to a peak . . . but if they are truly in Christ . . . the love of Jesus will not allow them to despise. Doing what is necessary to deter them, obstruct them, reduce their violence and ability to attack, inhibit those who would create more of them in their hate and frustrate their global efforts . . . absolutely.
Quote:
As an atheist, I've personally had the experience of being told by a "good upstanding Christian" that I should just kill myself because I don't believe in god. Told that I should have my children taken away for being an atheist; that I have no morals or values. Other insults as well, but you get the idea.
Atheists are their own responsbility and their atheism has nothing to do with such issues. However, there frequently are legitimate societal reasons for the other actions that have nothing to do with atheism . . . especially when children are involved.(I am NOT even remotely suggesting that in your case since I do not know you at all)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-30-2009, 02:34 PM
 
Location: Montrose, CA
3,031 posts, read 7,872,157 times
Reputation: 1925
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
However, there frequently are legitimate societal reasons for the other actions that have nothing to do with atheism . . . especially when children are involved.(I am NOT even remotely suggesting that in your case since I do not know you at all)
Then if that's the case, why even mention it in the same breath as atheism? It smacks of the wink-wink nod-nod of "yeah you deserved it because you're an atheist..." Personally, I think there are far more religious people that should have their kids taken than atheists. After all, when was the last time you heard of an atheist locking their child in a closet and starving them because they had "satan" in them? Or an atheist that killed their kids because "god told me to"?

Please, don't justify the misconceptions against atheists simply because YOU don't agree with what we (dis)believe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-30-2009, 02:52 PM
 
37,577 posts, read 25,275,797 times
Reputation: 5860
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuSuSushi View Post
Then if that's the case, why even mention it in the same breath as atheism? It smacks of the wink-wink nod-nod of "yeah you deserved it because you're an atheist..." Personally, I think there are far more religious people that should have their kids taken than atheists. After all, when was the last time you heard of an atheist locking their child in a closet and starving them because they had "satan" in them? Or an atheist that killed their kids because "god told me to"?

Please, don't justify the misconceptions against atheists simply because YOU don't agree with what we (dis)believe.
I apologize for not being female, SuSuSushi . . . I speak objectively and usually non-emotionally and without artifice . . . a decidely male characteristic to be sure. The subtleties of female communication frequently escape me in my attempt to be precise. I immediately saw the inference that you drew from the mere mention of the otherwise perfectly legitimate "fact of life" I mentioned for clarity. My wife has tried vainly to sensitize me to these feminine subtleties for decades with some (but only moderate) success.

I first became aware of it many many years ago when attending a party with my wife. We were together most of the time . . . so we saw and heard the same things. It was only when we returned home and I discussed the events at the party with her that I was made to understand that we had attended two VERY DIFFERENT parties. What I thought were compliments were clearly digs or insults or... whatever. etc. Apparently there were things going on at that party that COMPLETELY escaped me!

Mea culpa . . . if I have offended in any way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-30-2009, 02:54 PM
 
Location: Kentucky
1,090 posts, read 1,954,221 times
Reputation: 607
My sister once asked a friend to stop sending her religious email forwards because she's agnostic. The friend replied "But you seemed so nice." No kiddin', we don't have horns and tails, though a few of us more rural ones might actually have pitchforks if you check our barns .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-30-2009, 03:38 PM
 
Location: Western Cary, NC
4,349 posts, read 6,492,333 times
Reputation: 7265
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlineerik View Post
Why does for example people say that "yeah i think he'd be good in office since he is a believer of jesus christ" etc?
What is it in being religious that would make a person "better"?
I think I've only met one person outside my mothers church who believed in god (live in sweden the worlds least religious country) and it's not like he differed much from other people.

I'm more bothered with muslim people who demand all kinds of stuff because of their religion, and also try. Who does a "hardcore christian" dispise most, a muslim or an ateist?

Just wondering...


From an American Atheist point of view I think the non religious leaders make better presidents. We have had several who professed their faith way too often. One was Jimmy Carter. I think as a man he is great, as a leader he was not so great, and I am sure I donít need to review the George W. Bush's period as president. Looking at the non religious presidents. Abe Lincoln is rated very high. The other Agnostic and Deist Presidents also rate very high. This tells me it is best to find a leader who deals with reality and not myths.
As for who Christians dislike most I would suspect it is the non religious. Christians and Islam both share a common belief in parts of their faith, both follow myths which relate to the same characters, and both have extremes who think nothing of killing to convert others to their faith. I do not see them as too far apart.The non religious movement is a threat to both faiths.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-30-2009, 06:25 PM
 
Location: US
81 posts, read 131,125 times
Reputation: 36
Myself, I hate ateists, but teists are also despicable. But the atheist is typically wont to digress from this stupid post now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-30-2009, 07:51 PM
 
Location: Victoria, BC.
30,038 posts, read 30,705,281 times
Reputation: 12220
Quote:
Originally Posted by anaarkh View Post
Myself, I hate ateists, but teists are also despicable. But the atheist is typically wont to digress from this stupid post now.

Really? Just how many atheists do you know? I notice that you are getting less coherent as the day wears on....TGIF?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-31-2009, 12:27 AM
 
Location: US
81 posts, read 131,125 times
Reputation: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Really? Just how many atheists do you know? I notice that you are getting less coherent as the day wears on....TGIF?
I was making light of the MISSPELLING in the thread title.

I, myself, am an atheist. Every post I make, other than the preceding one, apparently, all contain lucid and carefully reasoned arguments against religion and spiritual doctrine. I am an agent of logic, sanspeur. If you read my other posts, you could safely conclude that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top