U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2011, 05:16 AM

2,958 posts, read 2,088,528 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Melvin . . . my dear brother. You are correct about the"spiritual fossil record" of our cognitive development and understanding of God. What you and so many of our brothers and sisters do NOT seem to understand is that "stories" and their cognitive counterparts are the only and essential way we are led to a cognitive understanding of God. Myths, legends, scriptures, oral traditions . . . all of it represents our attempts to actualize the inspirations and insights built in to our cognitive development as a species. The totality of it represents the spiritual "fossil" record of our attempts to do so. It SHOULD have a consistent evolving pattern or template underlying it . . . so what you see as discrediting the Jesus legend actually confirms its relevance.

Now . . . either God does or does not exist. IF He exists . . . He will have created this template for the evolution of our spiritual (cognitive) understanding of Him . . . just as there is a template for the physical development of all life (DNA/RNA, "laws" of physics and chemistry,etc.). Finding evidence of this spiritual template in the "spiritual fossil record" should be a source of profound enlightenment about God and our purpose in being, Melvin. It should not undermine it. The churches have misinterpreted the significance and been absolutely heinous corrupters and opportunistic exploiters of the spiritual template. They have "criminally" misrepresented God (IMO) for over 2000 years.
Well...you and I can certainly agree of the corruptness of the church. I believe that any realist with a logical mind and high intelligence who was totally isolated from the god talk of his/her parents, teachers, church officials/members etc. and upon becoming an adult read the bible and the history of the church would laugh out loud.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2011, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campbell34 View Post
Well of course, that is the only conclusion you could draw. And that is because you have no knowledge of spiritual things. The fact is, I did get help from other Christians who prayed with me on the morning of Dec. 15, 1973. Some of them present experience the same demons I had experienced. One of the demons refused to go. And the women across from me told him that if he did not leave he would be destroyed. I then heard the demon say. "Better to be destroyed then to burn in Hell". Shortly after that, I began to hear him beg for his life, others heard that to. The woman across from me then stated she could see what was happening, and could see him burning up on the floor. From that time forward, most of the demonic activity that I had experienced over the last six months ended. I still have the tapes from 37 years ago. And from time to time, is still listen to them.
LSD will cause that kind of stuff

Old 02-13-2011, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilene Wright View Post
And then there's the obvious mistranslations of words like "hell", "eternal" and "lake of fire".......
Obvious Mistranslations?

Who's being naive now? For a thousand years infant baptism was required by the church. Then many believers began to doubt that an infant was a sinner so the church backed down. The scripture is still there.

Conservative estimates are that hundreds of thousands of innocent young women were tortured and burned at the stake for witchcraft but when people learned that there is no such thing as a witch the church got real quiet about it. The scripture is still there.

For thousands of years slavery was not only tolerated but was usually accomodated by the church but when it became illegal to own slaves they shut up about it. The scripture is still there.

After literally billions of hell fire and damnation sermons now when people are doubting that any such place or any such punishment exists the church is once again trying to "shush" the whole issue. All the scripture is still there but leave it up to the authorities in the church to "roll out the excuses." Errors in translation indeed!

I'll tell you what drives the church to each and every decision it has ever made. The numbers of people who come by and drop off their money...not another single solitary thing. By the way...that number is worse percentage wise right now than it has ever been. People are slowly but surely proving that they are smarter than that.

Old 02-13-2011, 08:23 AM

Awwwww...C'mon. Let's keep the Santa thread going.

Old 02-15-2011, 02:23 AM

22,163 posts, read 26,723,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvin.George View Post
"So you're like libertarian atheists?"

I used to be a Republican when they believed in and stood for balanced budgets and small government. George W. Bush doubled the national debt, expanded government by 15% and ran the economy into a ditch. I'll never vote Republican again as long as I live.
It's somewhat off topic, but the national debt under Obama has increased by $3.4 trillion in only 2 years. Does that mean you'll never vote Democrat again as long as you live?

And the economy was doing well for most of Bush's 8 years (52 consecutive months of job growth, an unemployment rate as low as 4.5%, low inflation, etc).

Old 02-15-2011, 03:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
It's somewhat off topic, but the national debt under Obama has increased by $3.4 trillion in only 2 years. Does that mean you'll never vote Democrat again as long as you live?

And the economy was doing well for most of Bush's 8 years (52 consecutive months of job growth, an unemployment rate as low as 4.5%, low inflation, etc).
When Ronald Reagan began to borrow from foreign banks to fund tax cuts for the weathy the annual interest on the national debt was about $40 billion. After he and the Bushes borrowed 80% of all the debt this great republic had accrued in 232 years the annual interest had grown to about $400 billion....second only to the defense budget. For example this nation spends about $100 billion on education and less than that on the infrastructure. It was Reagan and the Bushes who ruined things...make no mistake about it:

Old 02-15-2011, 08:10 PM

22,163 posts, read 26,723,944 times
What is this "Reagan borrowed," "Bush borrowed?"

Congress passes the budget.

And the national debt increased by $1 trillion during the Clinton era. I will also point out that the Republican-written balanced budget amendment was at first opposed by Clinton until he finally signed it into law. Then he takes credit for the "surplus."

The fact remains that the national debt has increased by $3.4 trillion in the last two years.

Old 02-16-2011, 02:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
The fact remains that the national debt has increased by $3.4 trillion in the last two years.
LOL...nearly a trillion of it was interest on the Reagan/Bushes debt. You don't think these foreign banks lend money interest free do you? Like I said before...now the mess is such that the interest on the debt is second only to the defense budget.

As far as the congressional actions in these debts...there's one common denominator...tax cuts for the wealthy. Reagan got less than he requested seven of eight budgets. You do remember that Bill Clinton bought back $350 billion of debt "off budget" while he was the president don't you? Read HR 4601(106th congress) which prevented the surplus from being spent along with other IRS income. When Bill Clinton left office the administration and congress were arguing about how to spend the surplus...then along came slow walking, slow talking George. when George Bush took over in 2001 he cut taxes then and again in 2003 with half of the total going to the wealthiest 1% of taxpayers. They used reconciliation to block a Democratic filibuster. He immediately began to borrow from Communist Chinese banks to fund tax cuts for the wealthy. In eight years the debt increased from 5.7 trillion to more than $11 trillion. They even had to modify the national debt clock in Times Square to accomodate figures which would have seemed absurd when it was designed.

This country used to pay it's way. After the second world war any earner who made more than $300,000 per year paid 91% of the excess in income tax.

If you can't study the aforementioned chart and see that Reagan/Bush41 cut taxes and quadrupled the national debt then that Bill Clinton raised taxes and essentially balanced the budget with surpluses in fy 1998,1999 and 2000 maybe you should study it a little more...especially when George W. Bush cut income taxes twice and doubled the total debt again.

Low taxes for the wealthiest Americans is what made this mess and spend and borrow Republicans are the cause. At the same time the wealthiest 1% of Americans were quadrupling their wealth ordinary Americans wages stagnated when adjusted for inflation.

The Republican party used to stand for small government, balanced budgets and individual rights. Here's my lifetime voting record:

1956 Eisenhower
1960 Nixon
1964 Goldwater
1968 Nixon
1972 Nixon
1976 Did Not Vote
1980 Anderson(I)
1984 Reagan(wish I had this one back)
1988 Did Not Vote
1992 Did Not Vote
1996 Did Not Vote
2000 Did Not Vote
2004 Kerry ***
2008 Obama ***

*** Voted Against Spend And Borrow Republicans

Last edited by Melvin.George; 02-16-2011 at 02:48 AM..

Old 02-16-2011, 02:22 PM

Well...why didn't you say something?

Nearly a trillion of it was interest on the Reagan/Bushes debt. You don't think these foreign banks lend money interest free do you? Like I said before...now the mess is such that the interest on the debt is second only to the defense budget.

As far as the congressional actions in these debts...there's one common denominator...tax cuts for the wealthy. Reagan got less than he requested seven of eight budgets. You do remember that Bill Clinton bought back $350 billion of debt "off budget" while he was the president don't you? Read HR 4601(106th congress) which prevented the surplus from being spent along with other IRS income. When Bill Clinton left office the administration and congress were arguing about how to spend the surplus...then along came slow walking, slow talking George. when George Bush took over in 2001 he cut taxes then and again in 2003 with half of the total going to the wealthiest 1% of taxpayers. They used reconciliation to block a Democratic filibuster. He immediately began to borrow from Communist Chinese banks to fund tax cuts for the wealthy. In eight years the debt increased from 5.7 trillion to more than $11 trillion. They even had to modify the national debt clock in Times Square to accomodate figures which would have seemed absurd when it was designed.

This country used to pay it's way. After the second world war any earner who made more than $300,000 per year paid 91% of the excess in income tax.

If you can't study the aforementioned chart and see that Reagan/Bush41 cut taxes and quadrupled the national debt then that Bill Clinton raised taxes and essentially balanced the budget with surpluses in fy 1998,1999 and 2000 maybe you should study it a little more...especially when George W. Bush cut income taxes twice and doubled the total debt again.

Low taxes for the wealthiest Americans is what made this mess and spend and borrow Republicans are the cause. At the same time the wealthiest 1% of Americans were quadrupling their wealth ordinary Americans wages stagnated when adjusted for inflation.

The Republican party used to stand for small government, balanced budgets and individual rights. Here's my lifetime voting record:

1956 Eisenhower
1960 Nixon
1964 Goldwater
1968 Nixon
1972 Nixon
1976 Did Not Vote
1980 Anderson(I)
1984 Reagan(wish I had this one back)
1988 Did Not Vote
1992 Did Not Vote
1996 Did Not Vote
2000 Did Not Vote
2004 Kerry ***
2008 Obama ***

*** Voted Against Spend And Borrow Republicans

Old 02-16-2011, 02:23 PM

10,017 posts, read 16,725,852 times
I would rather keep Santa
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality