U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2010, 03:30 PM

142 posts, read 215,939 times

Advertisements

Oh shoot. I remember Montgomery Ward. Not from way back then, definitely much more recent. Somehow I feel that they've been gone for sometime though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2010, 04:16 PM

4,454 posts, read 5,554,467 times
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0q1zbWqO2oU
There is really a santa clause.

Old 01-30-2010, 04:43 PM

2,958 posts, read 2,101,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dredre View Post
Oh shoot. I remember Montgomery Ward. Not from way back then, definitely much more recent. Somehow I feel that they've been gone for sometime though.
In the 1930's before Roosevelt's WPA most rural folks were using pages from Montgomery Ward to clean themselves after defecating. One of my uncles preferred moistened corn cobs so there was always a catalog and a bucket of water and corn cobs in the outhouse.

Old 01-31-2010, 04:10 PM

11,798 posts, read 21,502,568 times
Ouch. That was way too much information.

There was a big Monkey Wards store here in Ft Worth that was open until somewhere around 1990 (I'm guessing). It was a great old place. My mother worked there back in the 1940s! I'm 63 and I remember it from the 1950s. Loved those big catalogs from Wards, Sears, and Penney's.

Oh, and puh-leeze, it's Santa Claus, not 'Santa Clause'. That was the name of a Tim Allen movie.

Old 01-31-2010, 10:43 PM

598 posts, read 814,937 times
Anything can be said about Santa also can be said about God -- true.

However, Santa is more of innocent, nice figure. God, on the other, is temperamental, tyrannical, full of "wrath".

I see no harm in Santa.

Old 02-01-2010, 04:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
Ouch. That was way too much information.
How's this for toilet training:

"Bodily functions were performed anywhere/anytime! The British royal court posted a warning (1589):

"Let no one, whoever, he may be, before,
at, or after meals, Early or late, foul the
staircases, corridors; or closets with Urine
or other filth."

Old 02-01-2010, 02:34 PM

9 posts, read 54,667 times
Default The Jesus story of feeding 5000

If you take that story from the bible and cut out the different verses rearange them you get a story like this: Jesus saw a problem, many people did not bring food, but some did, he had all the food gathered then redistributed it. Although many said there is not enough to go arround turn the people away, the food did feed the multitude. They even had a few left overs. This alone is a story that is most impressive, the lagistics and pollotics to get 5000+ people fed using others food would be quite a task. Through the years the story got extra pep and is now the rediculous tale it is taoday.

Old 02-01-2010, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SatansGeneral View Post
If you take that story from the bible and cut out the different verses rearange them you get a story like this: Jesus saw a problem, many people did not bring food, but some did, he had all the food gathered then redistributed it. Although many said there is not enough to go arround turn the people away, the food did feed the multitude. They even had a few left overs. This alone is a story that is most impressive, the lagistics and pollotics to get 5000+ people fed using others food would be quite a task. Through the years the story got extra pep and is now the rediculous tale it is taoday.
That's not what the bible says! Go ahead and ameliorate what they said that happened if you desire but it's counted as a miracle. What you just stated would not be a miracle. It's two fish, five loaves, 5000 hungry people not counting women and children who also ate. Then...12 baskets of leftovers gathered. That's what was written as god inspired word 2000 years ago. Was god involved or not?

Old 04-23-2010, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SatansGeneral View Post
They even had a few left overs.

Mark 6:

30The apostles gathered around Jesus and reported to him all they had done and taught. 31Then, because so many people were coming and going that they did not even have a chance to eat, he said to them, "Come with me by yourselves to a quiet place and get some rest."

32So they went away by themselves in a boat to a solitary place. 33But many who saw them leaving recognized them and ran on foot from all the towns and got there ahead of them. 34When Jesus landed and saw a large crowd, he had compassion on them, because they were like sheep without a shepherd. So he began teaching them many things.
35By this time it was late in the day, so his disciples came to him. "This is a remote place," they said, "and it's already very late. 36Send the people away so they can go to the surrounding countryside and villages and buy themselves something to eat."
37But he answered, "You give them something to eat."
They said to him, "That would take eight months of a man's wages[a]! Are we to go and spend that much on bread and give it to them to eat?"
38"How many loaves do you have?" he asked. "Go and see."
When they found out, they said, "Five—and two fish." 39Then Jesus directed them to have all the people sit down in groups on the green grass. 40So they sat down in groups of hundreds and fifties. 41Taking the five loaves and the two fish and looking up to heaven, he gave thanks and broke the loaves. Then he gave them to his disciples to set before the people. He also divided the two fish among them all. 42They all ate and were satisfied, 43and the disciples picked up twelve basketfuls of broken pieces of bread and fish. 44The number of the men who had eaten was five thousand.

That's what it says here but in other places the number was 5000 men plus women and children who also ate.

Let's get it right while we're discussing it.

Old 04-23-2010, 08:25 AM

6,665 posts, read 3,908,588 times
Most of you need to take off your blinders.

Check the forum threads for the subject....Sacred Circle & Prayer Request...Out does everything else put together!

You guys premise is A LOSER!

When you get something that can show some "mojo", I might give it some credence.

Until then, your concept can't be considered anything but radical...outer fringe...given so little credence that it's basically a joke...waste of time to post to the few people looking at it...bunch of nothingness.

You WISH your pathetically weak opinion had even 1/4 of the influence that Santa does. Nowadays Santa is a fun thing for the entertainment of little children...in case no one ever hipped you to that. Next thing you know you'll be criticising Elmo, Dora, and Rolly Polly Olly because they "aren't real". It's funny...even Santa has more "mojo" than your stuff...never mind God...who IS real, and UNIVERSAL in influence...to anyone with a clue.

OTOH you are free to "talk to the wall" if that's what floats your boat...but you'd probably have a richer more full life experience joining the rest of the world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality